• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Buttstock for Precision 308

• Thread starter Deleted member 113831
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 113831

I am putting together a 20" 308 Win on an AeroPrecision semi-auto with a rifle length gas system.

Here is what I need to know: Is there any accuracy difference or potential problems between a collapsible carbine buttstock and a fixed rifle length stock?

I am putting together a 20" 308 Win on an AeroPrecision semi-auto with a rifle length gas system.

Here is what I need to know: Is there any accuracy difference or potential problems between a collapsible carbine buttstock and a fixed rifle length stock?
no. use whatever gives you the most comfortable feel and optimal LOP. Having said that, some are better than others for adjustability and build quality

The stock is the interface between you and the rifle. While the rifle should shoot just as well- regardless of what stock is behind the barrel- YOU may or may not be able to shoot the rifle to it’s potential with a given stock. Carbine stocks tend not to have the adjustability that rifle length stocks can. And, collapsible carbine stocks can rattle around more than a good precision rifle stock, and your position may be less stable. The magpul PRS stock is heavy and expensive, but it is popular for precision rifles for a reason.

Whichever direction you go, I would second @TacticalDillhole ’s advice to find something comfortable that works for you. Along with that, consider the type of shooting you would like to do. Find a local gun shop or Cabelas, and try shouldering rifles with different stocks. That might give you a good starting point.

I imagine with your setup, you’ll be shooting bench or prone for the most part. I’ve got a BCM that came with their Gunfighter stock, and there just wasn’t enough area on the toe for me to use a rear bag. The stock would always slide around, and I would focus more attention on just trying to get stable than on the actual shot. Also, my moustache would regularly catch between the stock and buffer tube. Having facial hair pulled out sometimes expands your groups.

I currently have either a Magpul UBR or PRS on each of my rifles. The UBR feels better than the Gunfighter, but not as stable as the PRS. The PRS is not a light stock, but helps balance the weight of a 20” .308. Your experience/preference might be different, but I think there’s a reason there are so many PRS stocks on precision setups.

Also keep in mind your desired LOP. Depending on your build or shooting style the rifle buffer tube might already be too long.
This is one of the primary reasons I asked the question. I need a 12.5" - 13" length of pull on my bolt guns. I have a 52" chest with no neck and T-Rex arms.

I would like to have the adjustability but not at the expense of precision. I have several carbines, and I have precision rifles. I just have never built a precision semi-auto before.

This is one of the primary reasons I asked the question. I need a 12.5" - 13" length of pull on my bolt guns. I have a 52" chest with no neck and T-Rex arms.

I would like to have the adjustability but not at the expense of precision. I have several carbines, and I have precision rifles. I just have never built a precision semi-auto before.
I'm in the 12-12.5" camp, so I just can't warm up to the PRS or Luth rifle stock. I've got an RPR take off on a precision AR, it works but there's a reason people swap them out. It will probably get replaced by a Tacmod in the future.

I just finished this one a couple weeks ago. 20” Ballistic Advantage modern series barrel. It’s built on Aero M5 receivers. I used an Armalite 6 position 308 Carbine extention that’s 3/4 longer than a standard carbine extension. I’m also running an H3, 5.4 ounce carbine buffer. Rifle runs and functions 100% but also has a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.
Oh and the stock is a Magpul ACS.

Attachments

• 119F9537-525C-4873-80B4-9D77516B2D3A.jpeg
    119F9537-525C-4873-80B4-9D77516B2D3A.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 74856818-F1BE-46F5-BCE0-400075C9D2B0.jpeg
    74856818-F1BE-46F5-BCE0-400075C9D2B0.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 197
I'm in the 12-12.5" camp, so I just can't warm up to the PRS or Luth rifle stock.

I feel the same way about the PRS, even as a taller guy with fairly long arms. I can use it, but it just feels way too long, even at it's shortest length. The PRS stock doesn't need to be as long as it is, and I wish Magpul would offer a shorter version.

There may be better solutions, but I've been using Magpul ACS-L stocks on my more accurate ARs. That doesn't have any cheek height adjustment, so I've been setting that using a 20 moa rail riser and whatever height picatinny rings were needed (don't remember the height off hand) instead of a cantilever scope mount since all of those I've tried were a little too tall for me.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

Don’t use a Magpul PRS gen 3. Minimum LOP is like 13.7”. You could try this one, but it’s expensive! Probably almost as much as your receiver

But I’ve used it and it’s confortable and adjustable

Look into the xlr industries tactical AR stock. I just replaced a magpul prs with one and i love it. Lots of adjustability and the length of pull can get a lot shorter than most, if not all precision stocks. It is based on a standard carbine buffer tube length, so you will need to make sure you get an appropriate buffer and spring for a large frame AR.

Looks like a good option. I've never had one, but I've had the fixed/rifle version of the luth-ar. I liked it, but wasn't as well made or as solid as a prs or the xlr in my opinion. Nothing wrong with it though.

I think the Luth is comfortable for sure. However, my AR10 .308, on an Aero set, got the PRS. I have long arms, and a skinny face, so the easily adjustable cheek riser was a big plus for me.

I use PRS's and ASC's

On a side note... and because I am a woosey.. ( Lol ) and see no reason to be uncomfortable at the cheek... consider adding one of these to your PRS stock cheek piece... ( various thickness available.

https://www.convergentdesignsolutions.com/store/p151/Cheek_Pad,_Magpul_PRS.html

I have also cut other versions up for the ACS's ( charging handle interference )

And adhere them with a self adhering stretch bandage over night to aid it sticking to the stock ... remove in the morning.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I use PRS's and ASC's

On a side note... and because I am a woosey.. ( Lol ) and see no reason to be uncomfortable at the cheek... consider adding one of these to your PRS stock cheek piece... ( various thickness available.

https://www.convergentdesignsolutions.com/store/p151/Cheek_Pad,_Magpul_PRS.html

I have also cut other versions up for the ACS's ( charging handle interference )

And adhere them with a self adhering stretch bandage over night to aid it sticking to the stock ... remove in the morning.
I have like 5. Just haven’t installed it yet ?

Yes, the LUTH stocks are hard to beat for the money. If it’s a straight up bench rifle and you want the weight and can afford it I still personally like my PRS. But If you want to cut some weight and money I do like them :)

I think I remember Elfster talking about going with that stock over the Magpul and he seemed to like it from what I remember...it seems like he’d be a good person to compare the two

I have been struggling with this for awhile. I have watched Frank's video on rifle setup many times, as well as others. I imagine the video is a good rule of thumb and not set in stone.

I have a Knights SR-25 and have a 13" LOP. I mostly shoot bench or prone, a little standing. This 13" LOP is comfortable and I don't have to adjust my head much for correct eye relief. If I increase my LOP I would have to pull my scope back which I don't really want to do. I would like to use the Magpul PRS but even after talking to Magpul they think it will be too long, so I am leaning towards the Luth AR MBA-3.

I have some questions:
1) Since so many people use the Magpul PRS, do they just adapt themselves to a longer LOP? Is this what I should do?
2) For the either the Magpul or Luth, is there an advantage to use the rifle buttstock version vs. the carbine buttstock version, setting aside the adjustability?

P1010009.JPG

Last edited:
This is what i use on my 308. Vltor emod with some adhesive foam to build up the cheek a little. Not a ton of room for bag riding but it's better than some. I use a vltor a5 tube with a h3 carbine buffer.

20190419_125615.jpg

If you haven't looked at them or considered it yet the XLR Tac Lite or Tac stock would be a great option on a precision AR.
I just recently bought an XLR carbon chassis but have allready been wanting to put the stock on one of my AR rifles just to tinker with it.

Reactions: lawofsavage
If you haven't looked at them or considered it yet the XLR Tac Lite or Tac stock would be a great option on a precision AR.
I just recently bought an XLR carbon chassis but have allready been wanting to put the stock on one of my AR rifles just to tinker with it.
Agreed. I have one on my 6.5CM and love it

The stock buffer tube on an SR25 is longer than a standard AR carbine tube.

@DustBun XLR stocks are a great option for AR15s, but they might be tricky to make work on an SR25 since you would need to remove the KAC receiver extension (basically the same as a VLTOR A5 tube), and I think the XLR AR tubes are only compatible with an AR15 carbine length buffer systems.

if you're happy spending Magpul PRS money, but would a shorter length of pull, take a look at the LMT DMR rifle stocks. They mount on a Carbine or A5 style buffer tube and can be adjusted for length of pull both on the tube and by extending the butt pad. They sell both 556 and 308 versions to match their AR15 and AR10 (SR25 based) rifles. I think both are shorter when collapsed than a PRS on the shortest setting.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/09/02/review-lmt-defense-dmr556-stock/

LMT-Defense-DMR556-575x381.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DustBun
I've got an RPR take off on a precision AR, it works but there's a reason people swap them out. It will probably get replaced by a Tacmod in the future.
Recently got a Tacmod. It doesn't have much more adjustability than the RPR stock but it's way simpler in every way, easier to adjust and much better looking.

I have an ACS on my precision Grendel and it's great except when using a rear bag. If you're doing a lot of prone or bench shooting, I would look at a flat bottomed stock. Given your desired LOP, the Luth MBA-3 or if you have the money an XLR seem like the way to go, I have friends with both.

@DustBun XLR stocks are a great option for AR15s, but they might be tricky to make work on an SR25 since you would need to remove the KAC receiver extension (basically the same as a VLTOR A5 tube), and I think the XLR AR tubes are only compatible with an AR15 carbine length buffer systems.

if you're happy spending Magpul PRS money, but would a shorter length of pull, take a look at the LMT DMR rifle stocks. They mount on a Carbine or A5 style buffer tube and can be adjusted for length of pull both on the tube and by extending the butt pad. They sell both 556 and 308 versions to match their AR15 and AR10 (SR25 based) rifles. I think both are shorter when collapsed than a PRS on the shortest setting.

I will have to investigate the SR- buffer tube. Thank you for the information, i did not know that. I have looked at this stock and I like it. I have put a VLTOR on my wife's AR-15. She likes it.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I mostly go with fixed stocks for California reasons but recently I have been pleased with my Magpul MOE FCS and my Strike Industries Viper Modular fixed stock.

They are both fixed stocks but they use spacers on a carbine buffer tube to adjust LOP.

Speaking of buffer tubes, I know of four sources (5 if you count KAC) of "AR10" length carbine buffer tubes. Armalite makes them but I can't remember the last time I have seen them in stock. Vltor makes the A5 and a seemingly identical large frame AR specific tube. PSA makes an inexpensive buffer tube that has zero frills, it isn't pretty but it should work. My favorite source is POF who sells a 7 position P308 buffer tube. I've bought four in three orders and each time they shipped quickly. Each time they were on a 15% off sale. Quality is right up there with Vltor in my opinion and they have an anti-tilt feature which is nice. At regular price they are competitive with Vltor and Armalite, at 15% off I think it's a worthwhile upgrade over a PSA...

But back to stocks, the Strike is super solid when it's installed, a bit heavier than the MOE FCS but it has the flat on the bottom which can accept an inexpensive monopod accessory and might be ok for bag riding.

I don't think the MOE FCS has the right angle on the bottom of the stock to be a good bag rider but it is light weight and cheap. While it isn't quite as solid feeling as the Strike, it is a lot more solid than most collapsible stocks.

I've got one of the LMT DMR stocks on my 223/224 VALK MRP. Plan on getting one for my 308/6.5 MWS. The adjustment wheels were a tad stiff at first but they eased up and work very well now. Highly recommend. Sometimes LMT runs half off specials as well.

Honestly I like the A2 stocks on the large frame ARs just fine and it lets me put more money towards the barrel, trigger, etc. I have used Magpul PRS's in the past and enjoyed those, albeit their weight is a little much. The LUTH-ar's are decent, but the adjustments suck to use, however since you pretty much set it once and leave it I don't consider it a huge issue. Those are the only three I have personally experience with so I'll end my comment with that.

I will have to investigate the SR- buffer tube. Thank you for the information, i did not know that. I have looked at this stock and I like it. I have put a VLTOR on my wife's AR-15. She likes it.

I measured the buffer tube on the SR-25 and the AR-15 and they are essentially the same as measure from the rear of the lower. I spoke with LMT and they also answered some questions. I'm not sure which stock I will go with yet though. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I just need to make a decision now.
The MagPul UBR is my favorite for ARMALITE & Aero Precision .308/6.5CM builds.

The UBR comes with its own buffer tube.
C_R_Slacker nailed it with http://heavybuffers.com/ . Email Clint with exactly what you have
and what you want and he already has the answer for you. I've got UBRs on: 458 & 375 SOCOM, 24" 223 Wylde, 3 AP 6.5CM, 2 ARMALITE .308 & 6.5CM. ALL have Clint's HB majiks in them. I've been ordering from Clint since 2003 when I first got into the 458 SOCOM.

Even with all the top notch adjustable stocks out there, I cant find fault with a good old A2 rifle stock. It fits me just fine and does not wheigh or cost a ton.

And, if I want to be fancy, I can screw an EGW rear bag rider onto the bottom and I'm set

I've been wanting to check out one of the LMT DMR stocks, being an LMT fan boy, but I'm not spending that kind of money on a buttstock.