• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Camp Pendleton Hosts First Tactical Long Range Match

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    All,

Just wanted to toss this out, that Camp Pendleton's Santa Margarita Gun Club (SMGC) is now hosting monthly long range matches. Yesterday was their first, and it was a great success. We ran a clinic all day on Saturday for the shooters there (some civilians, some retired/former military, and some active duty) in preparation for Sunday's match. A great deal of information was passed from the San Diego Precision Rifle Club (SDPRC) to the SMGC members and participants (hats off to @NoLegs24, @hic28 and Beau (I can't remember what his handle is here) for all the hard work put in to make this happen).

At any rate, for those on Pendleton, or in the surrounding areas, there is now a second option to shoot long range "PRS style" matches, with ranges going out to 1300+ yds. SMGC will host these matches on the second Sunday of every month (which is opposite of SDPRC's matches on the fourth Sunday of every month), and intends to hold an all day clinic for new shooters every quarter.

At any rate, if you are interested in either club's matches, hit up their FB pages or (in SMGC's case also) the SMGC website (https://www.smgunclub.org/). Attached are some photo's of yesterday's match (hosted on Range 117A, the Scout Sniper range at Camp Pendlton). I'm not sure if @Lowlight was ever stationed at Pendleton, but if so, I'm sure it'll bring back some memories.

Again, thanks to all who came out, RO'ed the clinic and match, and the SMGC staff that worked to get range clearance, coordinated government logistics so that the Hogs could participate, and all those who showed up from SDPRC to help get SMGC's matches going!

SMGC_Dec_1.jpg

SMGC_Dec_2.jpg

SMGC_Dec_3.jpg

SMGC_Dec_4.jpg

SMGC_Dec_5.jpg

Don't shoot the buffalo (largest herd in the southwest; this is just a small number of them, north of the range).
    SMGC_Dec_6.jpg

Confirming zero's
    SMGC_Dec_7.jpg

Last edited:
    Good to know, if I get the chance to go visit the kids out there, I may take in one of the matches, providing I don't run afoul of CA law in regards to transporting arms and ammunition across state lines.

Good to know, if I get the chance to go visit the kids out there, I may take in one of the matches, providing I don't run afoul of CA law in regards to transporting arms and ammunition across state lines.

If you have an AR pattern rifle, don't play with the laws here. They've gone full retard here. I don't know if there is some exemption for bringing on into the state temporarily for a competitive event. No suppressors either. Bolt gun is fine.

Paint it pink because black rifles scare politicians around here.

Pendleton's January match has been cancelled due to the "government shutdown". Hopefully, February will still be a go (and Pala's SDPRC matches are obviously still being held).