Can a Tikka 300 Win Mag be chambered for a 338 Edge+p or similar?

jb1023

Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
Colorado
I am pre-planning for my next project and wanted to see if a Tikka T3 can be chambered for a 338 Edge+p AND still load from DBM? Looks like I can pick up a new Tikka T3 for $550ish strip it down and just use the action if it would work. I really like the feel of the Tikka action so I want my next project to utilize one. Pretty sure Tikka does not offer anything with a Lapua Mag bolt face so that is why I am looking at the Edge+p. I would like something that can hit 2500 or so and it looks like the +p is capable and not as expensive to shoot. $1200+ for just an action is not going to fit my budget so probably going to have to stick with a standard magnum bolt face.

Any thoughts on if the Tikka would work for this or if another cartridge would be more suited for this range?

Can the magazine feed 4" rounds? Can they feed up through the bottom opening of the action?

my Edge is built on a Stiller Predator action. I had to remove close to a quarter inch of metal at the back of the mag opening to allow the rounds to feed up and modify the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come further back. And use a Wyatt 4" magazine box.

i know you can't do this with a savage. No clue on a tikka.

Thanks for the info Spaniel. Well, I now know what to look for but my guess is probably not. I will see if I can find a gunsmith to answer this for me definitively because I have no idea how much, if any, metal can be shaved from a Tikka. Probably going to have to look for a Remington, Howa(?) or used custom action when I am ready. Bummer about Savage as that was my second choice.