Can anyone comment on pre-2018 vs 2018 Viper HD binos?

munsonbw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
I was at Cabela's and picked up the last pair of 8x42 Viper HD and Diamondback binos to try out. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that the Vipers were a previous years model. They were not sold to me as such, but since they were the demo pair they gave me 10% off. I can't find much info on the differences, other than cosmetic, except for some earlier versions that were made in Japan. The ones I have are made in China. I plan to call Vortex and see what they have to say about the differences, but my main interest is image quality. Can anyone comment? The best I can find is that somewhere in the evolution of the line there was an improvement.

If anyone is interested in my opinion, I find the Diamondbacks to be very close to the Vipers for casual looking. I bought these mainly for the family to use around the woods and hiking. The Vipers are more crisp in lower light, but I would say the Diamondbacks may be a touch brighter. So, they seem to be a very good bang for the buck.

Ben

Vortex says there was an upgrade to the optics in 2018. He didn't specify what exactly that meant and I doubt I would have understood anyway.

Meety Peety, thanks for that article. Pretty sure if I stick with the Vipers I will go with the latest version. 10% off is not enough for me and there seems to be a lot to like in the new ones.

Rangemaster, thanks so much for the link. They have refurb Vipers as well as others for very nice prices!

Vortex says there was an upgrade to the optics in 2018. He didn't specify what exactly that meant and I doubt I would have understood anyway.

Meety Peety, thanks for that article. Pretty sure if I stick with the Vipers I will go with the latest version. 10% off is not enough for me and there seems to be a lot to like in the new ones.

Rangemaster, thanks so much for the link. They have refurb Vipers as well as others for very nice prices!

Your welcome.

I found a deal on a set of 2018 viper HD 8x42 and decided to buy them based on the limited information that hinted they were better than the 2017. i am glad I did. I did some comparison between the three that I have: current model diamondbacks, and the '17 and '18 Viper HDs. Again, all in 8x42.

My wife and I both struggled to find huge differences between the 2017 vipers and the Diamondbacks (DB). You really had to pay attention to minor things and we both felt you could see a little more clarity with the vipers, but it sure seemed better low light performance with the DB. The Vipers had a much smoother focus knob and generally a more upscale feel. Honestly, I would have been very happy with the DB and kept an extra $200 in my pocket. Since the first two pair we bought were both demos, Cabela's gave 10% off. Then the Vipers had a $50 coupon to Cabela's. These two things narrowed the price gap and we had decided to keep the 2017 Vipers if we couldn't find a better option.

Now the 2018 Vipers come into play. I looked online (no local options) at the Maven C1 and Vanguard Endeavor IIs, but I found a pair of "used" Viper HDs from B&H for a great price and jumped on them to try. The '18s showed the wow difference to the DB that I was expecting to see in the '17 Vipers given the price gap. I am no expert and I have never spent any time glassing for animals, so take that into consideration. Colors were more vivid, greater clarity/crispness, and for sure brighter than either of the other two in all light conditions. The only complaints with the '18 vipers is that I would argue that they are not as quality feeling as the '17s. The diopter adjustment locked on the '17, friction only on the '18. The focus and diopter dials on the '17 are a kind of rubber knurl, where the '18 is a ribbed wheel that is a little cheaper feeling. It may very well work better due to its greater texture or be more durable, but its not as fancy feeling. I also felt the '17s had a better rubber coating. It feels more like it was over-molded with rubber while the '18 is more like a barely soft feeling plastic.

It is difficult to keep track of some Vortex products. In my limited research I learned that the Vipers were originally made in Japan, then sometime moved to China (my '17s were Chinese despite looking like the models from Japan), and now with a completely different body and optics. It is possible that my 17's suffered from QC issues. In my unprofessional opinion, i doubt the difference I saw to the '17s was due to QC; I think they are a better pair of binoculars.

Ben