• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

can someone supply a full list of AR-15 upper components?

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
some are obvious, but some are not... would like expert opinion on the best of all components for an upper build... and any thoughts you might have on availability... it seems that components for uppers and lowers are in really short supply

it seems that components for uppers and lowers are in really short supply

1598098317531.png

Anyway, here's everything you need:

Attachments

• Army M16A2 and M4 manual.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 149
Best for what lol. Precision, hard use, or sitting in the closet?

Really all that matters is the bolt, barrel, and trigger. Get a JP barrel, block, and bolt combo with a trigger you shoot well for precision. For hard use get a FN CHF barrel, JP enhanced bolt, and a trigger you like but won't shoot yourself with by accident. For sitting in the closet get an M&P15.

would like expert opinion on the best of all components for an upper build...

Here ya go. As they say around here...buy once, cry once.

1598208675327.png

It's a pretty broad question... I mean... who makes the best roll pins? The best springs for dust cover doors?

The parts and options permutations of an AR Upper run into the billions, would be my guess. Best advice is to get parts from reputable sellers. And if something doesn't look, feel or 'fit' right (when using the proper tools!!!), then find something better.

If you are looking to assemble an AR from parts... best advice is to buy a proper tool set. Because the best parts in the world aren't going to help if you are assembling it with vice-grips and a claw hammer.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Docsherm and simonp
View attachment 7406034

It's a pretty broad question... I mean... who makes the best roll pins? The best springs for dust cover doors?

The parts and options permutations of an AR Upper run into the billions, would be my guess. Best advice is to get parts from reputable sellers. And if something doesn't look, feel or 'fit' right (when using the proper tools!!!), then find something better.

If you are looking to assemble an AR from parts... best advice is to buy a proper tool set. Because the best parts in the world aren't going to help if you are assembling it with vice-grips and a claw hammer.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I prefer channel locks, a ball peen hammer and a four-pound hand sledge.

To the OP, open ended questions like yours never have a single answer and will get you exactly the same information as if you were to goggle the same questions. Best is always subjective to the purpose and focus of the individual weapon and person.

That said, you already have plenty of good answers you can try and sort out, but the best answer is probably the one I just quoted. Find reputable sellers and buy decent product. Call the vendor if that suits you better. The best companies will be happy to answer your questions as long as it isn’t 64 questions.

Definitely worth checking out. Roger is stand up and actively participates with customers. Super awesome dude. Everything he designs has a functional / quality improvement. Every AR gets all FCD parts. Costly but worth it.

Best for what lol. Precision, hard use, or sitting in the closet?

Really all that matters is the bolt, barrel, and trigger. Get a JP barrel, block, and bolt combo with a trigger you shoot well for precision. For hard use get a FN CHF barrel, JP enhanced bolt, and a trigger you like but won't shoot yourself with by accident. For sitting in the closet get an M&P15.

This sums it up really well as a generality. Dump money in the barrel and trigger and the rest is largely to taste.

The far more important question is what you're going to use it for. A varmit rifle will look a lot different than a home defense gun Than will a straight walled case state only deer rifle when spec'd out.

Seems like a good way to spend 10 in club fed? 🤷‍♂️