• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Captured guide rod weight

I just so happened to watch this vid last night.
Watch this and read the comments.

Lighter springs reduce the muzzle flip to a point but you don't want to go too soft or you will be getting closer to having the gun beat itself up.

Just ordered one of these last week and waiting for it to get to my ffl. Going to be sticking a Thunderbeast fly 9 on it once it gets made and a 6moa dot.
64c3410885b022387cfdb9eb825fa345f61dc8d7bdc43.jpg

Reactions: DangerDave
I just so happened to watch this vid last night.
Watch this and read the comments.

Lighter springs reduce the muzzle flip to a point but you don't want to go too soft or you will be getting closer to having the gun beat itself up.

Just ordered one of these last week and waiting for it to get to my ffl. Going to be sticking a Thunderbeast fly 9 on it once it gets made and a 6moa dot.
View attachment 8474761

For my purposes I might get a 17lb which is what they recommend. Or I might just stick with the stock 18lb.

Recently, I purchased a ZR tactical steel captured guide rod (15lbs) for my PDP. They also have it in 13 and 17lbs. How does the weight affect the performance?
The weight is not the guide rod. It's the spring rate (in lbs/inch) of the recoil spring that comes with it.

Unless you are a very high level shooter, you won't see a difference in performance.

The weight is not the guide rod. It's the spring rate (in lbs/inch) of the recoil spring that comes with it.

Unless you are a very high level shooter, you won't see a difference in performance.
I am not a high-level shooter by any means but I noticed the following:
1. Better recoil.
2. Smoother racking.
3. Better stability compared to the polymer rod.

How did you evaluate 1 and 3?
1 - feel and grouping coordination
3 - I used two polymer guide rods before switching. I broke one by doing something stupid (nothing too crazy to break it) but the second one developed a significant curve over time. Maybe the Walther factory ones are not that good or I got the short end of the stick both times.

I guess so but I won’t know the difference until I use the other two weights, right? I was trying to get someone’s opinion based on their experience with all three weights.
The answer depends in huge part on your ability to manage recoil at top speeds (splits < .25).

You and I can get two different results out of the same exact setup based on that alone.