Case Life - How Many Uses?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am new to reloading, and before I sink some $$$ into cases, what is an average case life in a production bolt action? Say Remington 700 stock action and barrel in 223 or 308. What about an AR semi-auto?

Phil

Re: Case Life - How Many Uses?

If you load for a bolt gun and use good brass, neck size you can get up to 10 and in some cases more but with good brass. That life span will decrease with hot loads and a semi auto.

Reloading procedure and the type of loads you are running determine the case life you are going to get. High pressure 'max' loads are going to shorten case life...over sizing (bumping the shoulder back too far) and working the brass excessively shortens case life. In cases with relatively low operating pressures combined with sufficiently lubricated sizing operations, some cases can last quite awhile.

Examples,
.45 acp 'target' loads, brass lasts just about forever.
.300WM 'max' loads, brass will hold for about 7 or 8 cycles.

The important thing is to be able to inspect a piece of brass and make a determination as to how much fatigue it has. Cracked necks, case head expansion, loose primer pockets, things like this mean the case is done. Any decent reloading manual is going to have a section on case inspection, you should definitely read and take notes.

And...a lot depends upon the differences between your dies and your chamber dimensions. If you have a tight chamber and dies that match....you might get, with practices as above, 20 or more loadings...using neck annealing. If you have a large factory chamber and tight dies...that might get you 3 or 4. Semi...much less. JMHO

and get annealed brass to start with. Winchester white box 147 grain ball ammo for 308 is very cheap ammo, but the brass is pretty decent and especially nice in that it's neck and shoulder are annealed.

First of all I full length resize EVERY case I load. You must PROPERLY set up the die. If you need to know how to do that dig around on the internet....it is easy to find. You do NOT need a neck die to make brass last indefiantely, that is a myth unless something magical happens to brass while it resides in my loading room.
I usually lose track of how many times I load brass and have to go back and count matches I shot to figure the count. My primer pockets get too loose to hold a primer eventually but I never had a case fail. There is no fun in owning 100 brass that you plan to load till you need to buy more. If you don't get 5 firings out of your cases you are doing something wrong. Keep your loads reasonable, set up your sizing die correctly and remember annealing is your friend.

If you keep to sane pressures and neck size you can get 30+ to 50- reloads on a singlecase.

I have a set of WIN cases just past their 30 reload cycle shooting a rather stiff 47.8 gr Varget behind 155 scenars.

Ive got 5 firings on a batch of 200 308 Lapua cases running a STIFF 45.5 Varget over a 175SMK. This is a new load for me, and the first time Ive been careful to keep track...