• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cat tails on scopes.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I am wanting to try a "cat tail" on a couple of my optics. I have never used one, but think it could be very useful. Especially on my Viper PST 1-4 I have on a Spikes Carbine.

Looking around I dont see a ton of these. I see Vortex offers a Switchview and am thinking I may try one out.

Are there better options or is one just as good as the next?

Re: Cat tails on scopes.

I have used both the Drissel and the new ones by 3gunstuff.

The new ones that 3gunstuff have are excellent. Really low profile and no snag points.

If you mount your optics low of maybe hove bolt clearance issues, these will work for you.

Even though I had a lot of input on the Drissel cat-tails I think the 3gunstuff version is better, for me anyway.

I will try to get some pics posted of the one I have on my S&B 4-16 and LaRue OBR.

The MGM Switchview are excellent. Have had one on my S&B 1.1-4 for a while and like it alot. Hasn't loosened up at all and easy to manipulate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MGM Switchview are excellent. Have had one on my S&B 1.1-4 for a while and like it alot. Hasn't loosened up at all and easy to manipulate. </div></div>
MGM makes the best of them all! Don't bother trying anything unitl you have tried the MGM

I have the 3Gunstuff Scope Lever for my Premier 5-25x. Seems nice, but I haven't used it extensively yet.

EDIT%203gun%20stuff%20224small.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 3Gunstuff Scope Lever for my Premier 5-25x. Seems nice, but I haven't used it extensively yet.

EDIT%203gun%20stuff%20224small.jpg

</div></div>
You call that a cat-tail I call that a thumb rest that would have been better not placed on the gun. Its so short whats the point?

As stated, the type shown above is referred to as a "Scope Lever" by 3GunStuff (not a "Cat Tail"). I ordered a Cat Tail for a NF 1-4x24 about 6 or 8 months ago. It has a longer lever and looks like this:

TR_s.jpg

Apparently, this type is no longer available from 3GS for NF scopes. Even though it's shorter than a Cat Tail, I suspect the Scope Lever would still be a lot quicker and easier than trying to grab and turn the eyepiece itself.

Link: http://www.3gunstuff.com/cat%20tails.htm

Here is a couple pics showing how the new scope levers from 3gunstuff address clearance issues. The scope is a S&B 4-16x42 mounted low.

It is just a prototype version that has not been anodized yet.

DSC02599.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

I am the owner of 3Gunstuff. Our Scope Lever is just under .7" tall, Drissel Cat Tails are ~.8" tall and MGMs are 1" tall. The amount of effort needed to operate any of them is about the same. Ours offers the benefit of texturing and an ergonomic shape on the handle. It also is lower profile on the rest of the ring which basically eliminates interference with the rest of the firearm or mount. The length of our handle eliminates interference with the bolt or charging handle. Finally the length of the handle reduces the likelihood of other gear snagging the Scope Lever and potentially damaging the scope.

Charlie and MGM are good folks, but we feel our product offers the above advantages.

We are happy to offer them at a discount to Hide members who call us and ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am the owner of 3Gunstuff. Our Scope Lever is just under .7" tall, Drissel Cat Tails are ~.8" tall and MGMs are 1" tall. The amount of effort needed to operate any of them is about the same. Ours offers the benefit of texturing and an ergonomic shape on the handle. It also is lower profile on the rest of the ring which basically eliminates interference with the rest of the firearm or mount. The length of our handle eliminates interference with the bolt or charging handle. Finally the length of the handle reduces the likelihood of other gear snagging the Scope Lever and potentially damaging the scope.

Charlie and MGM are good folks, but we feel our product offers the above advantages.

We are happy to offer them at a discount to Hide members who call us and ask. </div></div>

If you have one that will fit the Vortex PST 1-4 that I mentioned, send one to me and I will give it a try.

Just wanting something to make easy to flick it from 1X to 4x at once.

PM sent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am the owner of 3Gunstuff. Our Scope Lever is just under .7" tall, Drissel Cat Tails are ~.8" tall and MGMs are 1" tall. The amount of effort needed to operate any of them is about the same. Ours offers the benefit of texturing and an ergonomic shape on the handle. It also is lower profile on the rest of the ring which basically eliminates interference with the rest of the firearm or mount. The length of our handle eliminates interference with the bolt or charging handle. Finally the length of the handle reduces the likelihood of other gear snagging the Scope Lever and potentially damaging the scope.

We are happy to offer them at a discount to Hide members who call us and ask. </div></div>

Chris' products look to be top notch and they are low profile.

I currently run all MGM Switchviews on my scopes. I shoot open and with a side optic the extra length is a little bit of a bonus as it gives me enough length for purchase above rings, knobs and other stuff that can accumulate around the power ring.

Just another viewpoint concerning the height or length of the arm.

Hydro, they serve a purpose nothing more, noting less, I have a Drissel on a compact NXS, its a great power lever for changing magnification in a hurry. On the compact scopes in a tactical match I think its a real benefit, when one has to engage multiple targets at varying distances, don't believe theres any need of it on a larger scope.

We have found the benefit on larger magnification scopes on long range rigs is in helping to find targets. Often one will use a low power wide field of view to find a target and then zoom in on the target to engage it. The Scope Lever reduces the dexterity and effort required for this, it also accomplishes that task faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have found the benefit on larger magnification scopes on long range rigs is in helping to find targets. Often one will use a low power wide field of view to find a target and then zoom in on the target to engage it. The Scope Lever reduces the dexterity and effort required for this, it also accomplishes that task faster. </div></div>

+1

Yes these were developed by those of us in the three gun crowd, but don't be fooled into thinking it is a one trick pony. Every precision rifle shooter I have let play with one immediately sees a benefit to the increased ease with which you can quickly change power on variable scopes.

I've got a 3gunstuff tail on a Trijicon TR21, and I'm going to order another for a TR24 tomorrow. I can't imagine how it could possibly be made any better than they make 'em. Amazing machining.

Use a MGM Switchview on a Millett DMS and it works fine, as long as I have the scope in a Larue SPR mount. I tried the same thing on a DPMS LR308 w/o the mount (just extra high rings) and it wouldn't work.
I really like the concept on a gas gun. I don't know that I would on a bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the 3 Gun Stuff Scope Lever in the local Prairie Dog match in February. It was nice.

Used it at the Sporting Rifle Match for the first time yesterday. LOVED IT! Absolutely awesome in this application.</div></div>

And you did pretty good at both matches.

I spent a lot of time on my 10x binoculars. Finding targets, and spotting when others were shooting.

So I kind of get used to finding / seeing the targets @ 10x. It's especially nice to be able to see the targets in relation to each other.

When it's time to actually take the shot though, I like to crank the magnification up a little more.

The Scope Lever really speeds up the process of switching being seeing multiple targets / landmarks and seeing just the target I want to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its so short whats the point?</div></div>
If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that... did I type that out loud?
blush.gif

MAos: Good point. That's one thing I noticed at the SR Match too now that I've gone to a 5-25 vs. 3-15. W/o a cattail, I was constantly zooming back down to well below 20x to locate the target, then wasting time going back up. And, I should know where the targets are. It was kind of a pain.
With the cattail, I imagine it makes that process much easier and results in more time on target. I tried to stay on 20x which is certainly enough zoom out there but was hunting more than I remember being at 15x. Shouldn't have been a surprise but imagining it and experiencing it are two different things.

Reminds me to bug Chris some more...
Hey, it's a compliment -- a popular product!

Anyone know if there is a cat tail/throw lever for a USO SN-3? I wound guess that you would have to clamp it down a bit tighter since it has just a round knurled magnification adjuster (nome of the humps or bumps like a S&B or NightForce scope).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Hawkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if there is a cat tail/throw lever for a USO SN-3? I wound guess that you would have to clamp it down a bit tighter since it has just a round knurled magnification adjuster (nome of the humps or bumps like a S&B or NightForce scope). </div></div>

I've been looking and have never seen one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a MGM Switchview on a Millett DMS and it works fine, as long as I have the scope in a Larue SPR mount. I tried the same thing on a DPMS LR308 w/o the mount (just extra high rings) and it wouldn't work.
I really like the concept on a gas gun. I don't know that I would on a bolt gun. </div></div>

+1 to the MGM on the DMS-1. My scope rides in an Armalite 1-piece mount. This thing is almost a necessity for the DMS, since the power ring can be difficult to turn without it.