• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

CCW drills

• Thread starter Deleted member 137765
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137765

For you with CCW permits, what drills you you regularly rehearse at home? I draw, dry fire and practice rapid reloading (with both hands and single handed, both sides) and am looking for other, perishable skills I can develop while watching TV at home. What other critical drills are a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drawing from your car if you're seated. I don't watch TV to get distracted, but that's me. Removing a seat belt with a holstered weapon, clearing your hallways, rooms doors. Practice using a flashlight, weapon mounted light. If you're asleep and need to get your weapon, where is it? Accessible? Can you find it in the dark. Where are your kids located or spouse or secret lover?

What kind of clothes do you wear to work, I have to wear business casual so I use a different weapon so I don't have to buy all new suits and slacks. But once I'm off work I'm in loose clothing, wear a pistol wear holster so drawing is different or a UM tactical trigger guard and Mexican carry. Etc. List goes on and on.

Easier to get a wife that will just protect you

I place my sidearm on a magnet when driving.

g22sticky.JPG

Stayed put in a violent crash, that magnet is serious.

I have a variety of registered weapons on my permit for different attire, not a concern.

I place my sidearm on a magnet when driving.

View attachment 7719396

Stayed put in a violent crash, that magnet is serious.

I have a variety of registered weapons on my permit for different attire, not a concern.
Excellent, you asked what to do, gave some suggestions.

Have you practiced drawing and trying to exit your Chevy? Seatbelt on? Practice it, it will help, especially if you need to shoot and get some distance by exiting the car. Using the car for concealment , motor for cover, etc.

The big screen is actually a tool I use...reloading without taking my eye off someone on the tube (not looking at the gun) so I am trained to keep my eyes on the threat. Also use it for target acquisition on dry fires. How else am I gonna mimic moving targets?

Since most SD shooting scenarios occur in 3 seconds, within 3 yards and with 3 shots fired...I am trying to drill myself for that scenario primarily. Odds are if I were engaged in a life or death situation inside my truck I would either attempt to drive away or shoot quickly from within it.

Spend more time on malfunction clearing, drawing during periods of your threat’s divided attention, and shooting from awkward/non-standard positions. Spend less time on reloads.

As you mentioned above, most non-LE defensive shootings are low round count at extremely short distances. Reloads are nearly unheard of for the average CCW. Shooting from non-standard positions (especially from a compressed position for close-range threats) and drawing your firearm from concealment while moving to cover should be #1-2 priority because they’re the easiest ways to hurt yourself if you haven’t trained. Subscribe to Active Self Protection channel on YouTube, and recreate shooting positions/circumstances you see in citizen defensive encounters. Shoot after being knocked on your ass/tripping over something, while wedged in a corner at contact distance (again, a compressed shooting position is important to train unless you want “My Gun” to become “Our Gun”), shooting from the passenger side of a vehicle (if you shoot right handed, the seatbelt needs to be tucked under your armpit as a passenger before you draw/present to extension. Try getting your gun hand untangled from the seatbelt while covering a deadly threat, especially without muzzling yourself, and you’ll understand).

I’m not saying you shouldn’t practice reloads, because that’s obviously an important handgunner skill, but based on probability it should be a much lower training priority for most students.

I'd keep the gun on you in the car, JMHO. If some road rage guy jumps out shooting all you're going to be thinking about is bailing out.

Then you're going to reach for an empty holster and see the folly of keeping it somewhere else when driving.

Is it slower, probably, so work on being faster. Or get a gun just for the car and leave your carry piece holstered.

As for CCW drills I'd work on drawing from concealment, scanning at the end of shooting strings, and registering so you can avoid a Boulder scenario.

Make a point to go shoot your local idpa matches once a month. Don’t go with kit for a match but instead go with just your carry setup and your normal clothes, not trying to win but trying to improve your skill. If you have a local match that’s put together well you will get some real good practice with your carry setup!

Reactions: Basher
I did a search on their website, no events here in the People's Republik of Commiefornistan. Just as well though, i currently work 75-90 hours a week, any free time I carve out is slated for bed. i try (when possible) to spend a couple hours with a live fire trainer (range) practicing things like hip shots (for those circumstances when the threat is already going for his weapon and you need to discharge a round first) and pressured scenarios using a 300 degree digital scenarios with a pneumatic sidearm...those are fun. Just looking for some other drills I can do at home.

Last edited by a moderator: