Hunting & Fishing Cellular Game Cams

DeathBeforeDismount

Hey, give your balls a tug.
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
I did a search and the newsest threads are from like 2020.

What do you guys recommend for cams? I got some property in WV I used to hunt as a kid, that got passed down. Its 6 hours away so we would like to set some game cams up to monitor the wildlife and anything else going up there. The top half of the property according verizons map gets LTE data.

Between all the game cams and the different plans its kind of overwhelming. Do you guys have any suggestions for reliable cams with LONG battery lives (we may only get up there once or twice a year.

My experience may be the outlier, but both of the game cameras that I bought failed to get signal where I wanted to place them. Even though I was talking on a cell phone at the time. But, truth be told, the cell service sucks there, and having service was a bit of an outlier.

But, I have 2 buddies that use cellular game cameras and are happy with them. One of them owns a game ranch in S TX. The other lives about 1600 miles from his property. I’ll post up the models when I hear back from them.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
Ok, one said he uses a Cuddeback camera, but he’s not sure he would recommend them. He sends me pics and video from it, and the quality of them are fine. But, he said it was a pain in the ass to set up.

The other buddy recommends Spartan cameras without reservation. He said he has 24 of them- of various models- across his ranch. He uses the goLive models where he wants to be able to livestream from the camera (gates).

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
I run browings with solar panels. I pay like 18 bucks a month for 2,500 images I believe. That’s more for than enough for my two spots, but you can add unlimited pictures as well, the cost just goes up. If you watch the browning site, you can catch some good sales from time to time.

They take decent quality pictures
IMG_6772.jpeg

Reactions: 1911hombre
Ok, one said he uses a Cuddeback camera, but he’s not sure he would recommend them. He sends me pics and video from it, and the quality of them are fine. But, he said it was a pain in the ass to set up.

The other buddy recommends Spartan cameras without reservation. He said he has 24 of them- of various models- across his ranch. He uses the goLive models where he wants to be able to livestream from the camera (gates).
Awesome. When my buddy gets back from Alaska on his Hunt i will see he uses as well. I think he uses spartan too.

The Spypoint ones are absolutely terrible. Admittedly they were the Link Micro (cheapest option) Spypoint was constantly doing updates which would cause it to stop working so you'd have to go update it and they really liked to do these updates right before or during hunting season. I think maybe the more expensive ones can update remotely but I wouldn't take the chance, the updates were the main cause the camera would stop.

I went to a Tactacam and I have been so happy with it. I use their solar panel also and it's been out for 3 years with no issues. I highly recommend.

Exodus cameras are pretty solid from what I hear. My problem is that they run off of Verizon signal, and I live in one of the few Verizon black holes. I use Tactacam right now with pretty decent success for shooting hogs and coyotes off of bait.

I did a search and the newsest threads are from like 2020.

What do you guys recommend for cams? I got some property in WV I used to hunt as a kid, that got passed down. Its 6 hours away so we would like to set some game cams up to monitor the wildlife and anything else going up there. The top half of the property according verizons map gets LTE data.

Between all the game cams and the different plans its kind of overwhelming. Do you guys have any suggestions for reliable cams with LONG battery lives (we may only get up there once or twice a year.
I often question Verizon’s info.. I placed SPYPOINT cameras in an area that supposedly had great service. Put them left them and couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting pics.. went to remove them from the woods and after driving less than 10min my phone blew up w pics. That said, I went back and sure as shit my cell phone was showing 4bars but I could not make a call, text, or go on any website. When trying to call out, it would suddenly switch to SOS.
As far as the cameras themselves, the appoints with solar panels lasted an entire year in the field with no battery issues.. I did fully charge the batteries prior to putting them out. Also set the cam to only transfer only 2 times a day.. I’m not sure of the bear population in your area but I’d recommend protecting the cameras if they are in your area. I learned the hard way. Forewarned my buddy and he literally sent me this pic yesterday .. I make a bear box from 6x8 HSS and lag bolt them to the trees with cordless impact.
If the cameras ever get the bear’s attention, they will F-k them up if not protected.
IMG_0753.jpeg

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I hate those things. Wish they would be outlawed. Nothing like getting out in nature to wind up on someone's phone. Someone set me this from a deer I got. Nothing illegal going on but sure feels like a invasion of privacy.

IMG_5338.jpg

Reactions: Husker88
I hate those things. Wish they would be outlawed. Nothing like getting out in nature to wind up on someone's phone. Someone set me this from a deer I got. Nothing illegal going on but sure feels like a invasion of privacy.

View attachment 8488307
Buy your own property and don’t have them there. Don’t try to fuck the rest of us out of our freedoms.

Your toaster probably listens to you but a picture is an “invasion of privacy”…

And yes, I’m abrasive occasionally.

Same as a done flying over our backyard then comes back to hover once it sees we are in the hot tub on the deck. Perfectly legal but I feel the same way.

I have zero issues if they are used on personal property. So I agree go by some land to use them on and don't mess with our freedom.

“There aught’a be a law aginnit” is how we got where we are today. You don’t have a presumption of privacy on public property. If you’re that private, buy some land and put an 8 ft privacy fence around it.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Agree on Tactacam. I use the reveal 2.0 have had zero issues with them. Can manage all the settings from your phone once set up. Set up is easy. If you look for them they run decent sales on them occasionally. I don't have the solar panels on mine but they run a decent amount of time on good batteries.

The store I manage sells cell game cameras and the owner runs about 70 of them on his out of state hunting property, we almost sell nothing but Tactacam and that's what our store owner runs. If battery life is a big concern buy a solar panel charger they work great. We do a lot of thermal hunting and the cell cameras were a game changer, several of our hunting areas are close to the house, camera goes off, jump in the truck and go kill hogs.

Reactions: jrassy
I have a couple Spypoint G36 cameras on my property not too far from the house. They were reasonably well rated online, but the big reason I got them is that they will send 100 pictures a month for free and I can get a plan if I want more/better pictures during hunting seasons.

The quality on the free pictures is kind of potato, but I can usually tell what's going on, and can change any settings remotely. Not sure I'd give them a glowing review for picture quality, but I haven't had any real problems.

I wish I could find a camera brand that will connect to my WiFi at the house. The Cuddeback cameras have a meshnet kind of system that connect through each other to one cell base, at one point they were going to sell a Wi-Fi base, but I think they backed out on that.

I've used my Tactacam twice this weekend to alert me to hogs coming onto my property. Unfortunately my POS shooting sticks failed me, but I still have 9 fewer pigs to start tearing crap up once we ever get rain again.

View attachment 8488307

No offense boss (I'll not be abrasive like the other response); but as long as you are where you're supposed to be, doing what you're supposed to be doing...does it matter that you walked in front of someone else's camera?

I helped a buddy nab a poacher with the game warden two years ago because of cellular cameras. Dude was still on the property sitting near the camera when the wardens rolled up on him.

It has also allowed me to go and speak with a neighbor's nephew, who was scouting my land during deer season with a rifle on his dirt bike. I get the photos 1-2 minutes after they're taken, so I can get a pretty good start on running down whatever I need to.

Cell cameras certainly aren't a burden for everyone.

Hope you have a good season this year.

I have used the Tactacams with success. Mine run off Verizon and I have noticed that they actually get a better signal than my phone does when side by side. If I have one bar on my phone it is usually 3 on the Tactacam. I really like them, I have captured some really cool shit. Got a pic a few years ago of 3 mountain lions, very unique.

No offense boss (I'll not be abrasive like the other response); but as long as you are where you're supposed to be, doing what you're supposed to be doing...does it matter that you walked in front of someone else's camera?

I helped a buddy nab a poacher with the game warden two years ago because of cellular cameras. Dude was still on the property sitting near the camera when the wardens rolled up on him.

It has also allowed me to go and speak with a neighbor's nephew, who was scouting my land during deer season with a rifle on his dirt bike. I get the photos 1-2 minutes after they're taken, so I can get a pretty good start on running down whatever I need to.

Cell cameras certainly aren't a burden for everyone.

Hope you have a good season this year.

Everyone gets their opinion. Mine it just people shouldn't be able to set up private security cameras all over public land.

Walked in front of it this time. Piss or shit in front of it next time? God forbid one of my boys do. There is some expectation of privacy when you in the woods, maybe not legally, but we do have some expectation of privacy.

I get the usefulness I used them when I was building my house. Private property do what you want.