• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

CFE 223 for 77 Grain Pills

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I read through a bunch of stuff online already and see some mixed reviews. I found 8 lb of CFE 223 locally and I'm thinking about buying it to load up a bunch of 77 grain 556 rounds. Is this powder a good fit, or should I spend $325 on something else?

What's a good price on it?

Thanks!

I read through a bunch of stuff online already and see some mixed reviews. I found 8 lb of CFE 223 locally and I'm thinking about buying it to load up a bunch of 77 grain 556 rounds. Is this powder a good fit, or should I spend $325 on something else?

What's a good price on it?

Thanks!
go straight to 8208 xbr and don't waste any time elsewhere.
Its currently in-stock...so consider you just won the lottery...

Reactions: 702lineman
CFE 223 is adequate for 55’s and pray/plinking, I’ve yet to find a good precision load with it but to be honest I think I tried three or four variations only.

I guess I deleted some stuff, I can only find notes for a Wylde 16" Noveske, although I shoot it out of 2 other barrels. I've tried charges from 24gr up to 25.7gr.

1.865"cbto, 24.9gr, shot 0.6moa, lowest SD, 2650fps. Be aware that's 96.8% fill & IMO, at the upper end of pressure for a powder that isn't the most temp stable. Crimping added 55fps and SDs went to hell. I could have been over crimping, I really don't do that ever

e: deleted the GRT part, GRT is now giving me totally different numbers & they're pretty off. I haven't changed any of the powder parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
What would you recommend for 77s?
24.8-25.2g of AA2520, R7-1/2; bullets seated to just shy of mag length. It flies and prints just like Mk262 Mod 1-I use this same load in all my carbines and Mk12 Mod 1. 8208XBR if you want stick powder, also an excellent choice. Varget works...TAC typically requires you to be at the ragged edge of pressure but otherwise a good option as well.

Reactions: simonp