Chamber cleaning: what's your method

Re: Chamber cleaning: what's your method

Yes, good thread!!! I have all the tools to clean it, i use an action cleaning kit from Brownells. But, I often wonder if I am getting everything out of there?

I used the Sinclair action cleaner with the felt and cotton inserts. It does not work well at all for me, a couple months ago I had some trouble with the action in my custom gun being very dirty. The sinclair couldn't get it clean, had to send it to the gunsmith.

I'm gonna try those AR-15 brushes next.

This works for me:

1. After cleaning bore, remove bore guide

2. replace brass jag with nylon bore brush on rod

3. wrap clean patch around brush and insert into chamber

4. twist a few times and remove

5. you're done

I only clean my bolt action every 300-500 rounds,
it shoots better fouled.

Reactions: Feesh

I use the Sinclair lug recess tool, perfect for the lug area. For the chamber itself, never had an issue with just a patch and solvent. I put the 2 1/4" patch through the eyelet about 1/4 of the way through, lay the patch over the end of the eyelet so the "nap" is on top and insert into the chamber and twist. Works great for the neck area.

One thing that I didn't think about for along time is that you need to clean the bore, chamber, and action area before inserting your bore guide. Otherwise you are wedging dirt and grime between the bore guide and any place it touches the rifle. If you are pulling your bore guide out and it has dirt, oil, or grime on it you haven't cleaned the rifle enough prior to inserting it. Then once I have cleaned the barrel and chamber thoroughly I pull the bore guide out and very gently clean the bore area and lug recess again to get any dirt that may have been brought back into those areas while cleaning the barrel.

I bought a pack if bottle brushes from harbor freight and clipped the loop off the end so it could be chucked in a drill. I douse it with MPro7 and run the brush in/out if chamber in a "honing" fashion. Dry patch to get most of the solvent out, compressed/canned air to blow out the lug recesses, and then another dry patch or two. Squeaky clean.

The biggest trick to cleaning a chamber is not letting it get "dirty" in the first place. The simple function of firing rounds puts enough "dirt" in there without introducing anything unnecessary. My chambers are afforded the greatest protection I can give them. I'm very religous about keeping my brass clean, and never chambering a round that could introduce dirt to the chamber, or otherwise cause it damage. This also relates to keeping my dies in perfect condition as well. In the field, I really don't care what happens to the rifle, but the chamber, the bore, and the ammo are sacred.

To actually clean the chamber, the best thing I've found is to take a cotton shotgun bore mop of the appropriate size, and attach it to a pistol cleaning rod. I made my own with an old rifle rod cut down and a file handle, with the handle glued on so I can twist it. a .410 will do great in a .223 chamber, and a 28 gauge will clean a 308/30-06 based chamber.

I'll take a pair of sharp scissors and trim the front end of the shotgun bore mop so that the whole thing resembles the shape of the chamber to be cleaned, which allows the front end of the mop to be forced into and clean the throat. I soak this mop down with carburator cleaner, or brake cleaner, force it into the chamber as far as it will go, and simply twist it a few times in the chamber, holding the muzzle towards the floor to keep any excess liquid from running down into the stock bedding.

Using a second dry mop made the same way dries the chamber and finishes the cleaning. If the lug recesses need cleaning I spray a little brake cleaner in there and blow the hell out of it with compressed air. From there it's a simple matter of following any normal routine of cleaning/oiling the bore/chamber.

To clean the chamber mops for use at another time it's as easy as spraying them down with the brake cleaner or carb cleaner, using the force of the aresol from the little red tubes to turn the mop white again, and then shaking them dry.

It all takes longer to talk about than it does to actually do it.......

One M16 chamber brush wrapped with a cleaning patch on both sets of bristles. Run it in to the chamber, twist and remove. Cleans the chamber and lug recesses at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest trick to cleaning a chamber is not letting it get "dirty" in the first place. The simple function of firing rounds puts enough "dirt" in there without introducing anything unnecessary. My chambers are afforded the greatest protection I can give them. I'm very religous about keeping my brass clean, and never chambering a round that could introduce dirt to the chamber, or otherwise cause it damage. This also relates to keeping my dies in perfect condition as well. In the field, I really don't care what happens to the rifle, but the chamber, the bore, and the ammo are sacred.

To actually clean the chamber, the best thing I've found is to take a cotton shotgun bore mop of the appropriate size, and attach it to a pistol cleaning rod. I made my own with an old rifle rod cut down and a file handle, with the handle glued on so I can twist it. a .410 will do great in a .223 chamber, and a 28 gauge will clean a 308/30-06 based chamber.

I'll take a pair of sharp scissors and trim the front end of the shotgun bore mop so that the whole thing resembles the shape of the chamber to be cleaned, which allows the front end of the mop to be forced into and clean the throat. I soak this mop down with carburator cleaner, or brake cleaner, force it into the chamber as far as it will go, and simply twist it a few times in the chamber, holding the muzzle towards the floor to keep any excess liquid from running down into the stock bedding.

Using a second dry mop made the same way dries the chamber and finishes the cleaning. If the lug recesses need cleaning I spray a little brake cleaner in there and blow the hell out of it with compressed air. From there it's a simple matter of following any normal routine of cleaning/oiling the bore/chamber.

To clean the chamber mops for use at another time it's as easy as spraying them down with the brake cleaner or carb cleaner, using the force of the aresol from the little red tubes to turn the mop white again, and then shaking them dry.

It all takes longer to talk about than it does to actually do it....... </div></div>

This pretty much how I clean except I use a Sinclair action cleaning kit and wrap the lug recess tool wrapped in at .50 cal patch for the lug recesses.

Tripwire

I use a method similar to yours and it works great. Good advice.

I just think that it’s funny that you say "My chambers are afforded the greatest protection" and then later you say to "force it into the chamber as far as it will go".

The method is spot on though.