Chamber neck sizing and brass neck sizing

avidflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
St Louis
Just wanted to revisit the method of neck sizing and chamber size. My new 6.5Lapua build has a free bore of .109(I know that has nothing to do with neck sizing) and a neck size of .293. Wouldn’t I neck size to .291 a .002 reduction? Has anyone had a forster FL die ground down to use as a custom die? Just wanting to get some others input. On my 308, I just use fire formed brass with a Lee Collet die. Wanting to try to do a little better job with the 6.5, plus I haven’t seen a 6.5 Lee Collet die

Thanks

Hobbs

Re: Chamber neck sizing and brass neck sizing

You can neck size to anything that is comfortable for you. Make sure that you mic. the loaded ctd. neck to make sure it is at least .001 under the chamber neck dia.
Flyer did you see the 51 do in at the Reno races, quite a mess.

Armor, why do you think that a mans opinion that is trying to sell you something is any more accurate than yours or mine. I have shot B.R. for a few years and while some guys do f/l size, saying that most do is a bit of a stretch. I have 30x47 cases that have been shot over 25 times and have never had the shoulder bumped back, never been f/l sized, and never been annealed. They still chamber with NO resistance at all and shoot quite well. I am not saying that my way is the right way, but it is my way, and as far as I am concernsd proves [to me anyway] that the gentleman that is trying to sell you a certain die is not, at least in my case, right. I make my own dies out of a blank, or even a peice of barrel that I have cut off, and with the reamer that I chambered the barrel with. I think that is a very good way to get what I am looking for. Certainly not saying that is the way to go for everyone, and for reliable chambering as in a tac. rifle it may be advisable to f/l size, but the gentleman that wrote the article is not a hundred percent correct in all cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe people still cling so tightly to neck sizing. I would figure the reloading section of a tactical site would be the last place on earth to find neck sizing advocates. </div></div>

I do neck size most of the time,
I do not cling to it tightly, but understant what is buys and what it sells
I would figure that tactical shooters would want to get the most life out of their brass possible--simply because it lets them shoot more.
In competition events, FL sizing is better because it can get that last 0.05" in group size. For non competitive events longer brass life wins out over 0.05" in group size.

So next time someone tells you that FL sizing is the only way to go, ask them to quantify how much smaller their groups are going the FL route versus the NO route! Then take that tidbit of information and ask yourself whether that tad of group size is worth shortening the brass life by 50%-75%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBeyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armor, why do you think that a mans opinion that is trying to sell you something is any more accurate than yours or mine. I have shot B.R. for a few years and while some guys do f/l size, saying that most do is a bit of a stretch. I have 30x47 cases that have been shot over 25 times and have never had the shoulder bumped back, never been f/l sized, and never been annealed. They still chamber with NO resistance at all and shoot quite well. I am not saying that my way is the right way, but it is my way, and as far as I am concernsd proves [to me anyway] that the gentleman that is trying to sell you a certain die is not, at least in my case, right. I make my own dies out of a blank, or even a peice of barrel that I have cut off, and with the reamer that I chambered the barrel with. I think that is a very good way to get what I am looking for. Certainly not saying that is the way to go for everyone, and for reliable chambering as in a tac. rifle it may be advisable to f/l size, but the gentleman that wrote the article is not a hundred percent correct in all cases. </div></div>

What he says may sell a few tools but that doesn't mean he is wrong. Most of the 1000yd BR shooters I shot with from '97 to '99 FL sized. There is a catch when FL sizing and Mr Willis addresses the catch. If you can't properly set up a FL die then you could lose a lot of brass depending on your chamber dimensions. I have thrown away thousands of brass because they would no longer hold a primer but still quite reloadable and all resized FL. I have a couple hundred 223 Winchester brass that I have loaded 5 or 6 times so far for my XP pistol I use in competition. They have not grown, no neck splits, and the primer is getting really easy to seat. I was going to anneal them but figure I will start getting loose primers in another couple firings so I will probably shoot them in another match or two and put them in the scrap bucket. I doubt that a neck die would have any bearing on primer pocket growth. I have never had a round that failedto chamber in a gun I FL sized the brass but I have seen more than a few guys leave the line because the ammo they had neck sized wouldn't chamber. There are no fancy tools required to use a neck die that is true but if you know a few tricks about setting up a FL die you need no fancy tools either. I asked a good friend recently how long he had been using the hundred Lapua cases in competition for his 6BR pistol. He started counting back the years and come up with at least 15 firings, he doesn't own a neck die.
To each his own. I would venture a guess that my brass life is no worse than someone who strictly neck sizes. I tried neck sizing for 1000BR with great failure. Again I tried in IHMSA competition with some dies that came with the gun and met with failure to close the bolt on several rounds that cost me points. I currently have no neck dies and no problems. Many people load at the house and drive to the range. It is a sick feeling to get to the range and find out half your ammo will not chamber.
I would like to do a test comparing FL dies to neck dies and brass life but alas I have no neck dies. Maybe I can get someone to do the neck portion of that test. It would have to be apples to apples. I have about any kind of brass for a 223 and would be loading with stiff charge of Varget. Anyone.....anyone?

Mitch, I don't understand how you get smaller groups full length sizing instead of neck
only. For me and most others it's the other way around?

While I don't feel like getting into the neck v. f/l debate, one thing I would note is that while it is partially your choice in what dim you neck size to, you also have to size enough to get the neck to grip the bullet. With the 6.5x47 and my lots of brass (neck thickness can vary from lot to lot), I normally have to size to .289 (really I mean use a .289 bushing) to get a consistent grip on the bullet.

I started with a .290, and after the neck hardened up a bit (this was before I was annealing), the .290 would no longer hold the bullet.

This is one of my issues with using non-bushing dies, or having one custom ground to a specific neck dim. No flexibility after the fact...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mitch, I don't understand how you get smaller groups full length sizing instead of neck
only. For me and most others it's the other way around? </div></div>

I am taking their word on it. The guys shooting at the tops of their games do tend (TEND) to indicate that they FL size all the time. This has been dèrigor for a while in the magazines and on the net.

Me and the other underlings who harbor shooting errors of form and technique would be hard pressed to find ANY advantage to FL sizing over NO sizing.

Then given; the actual measurable difference is soo small that for a very large majority of shooters, either way is just as good as the other way.

So, lets put it the other way around, shall we::

I can reliably get 0.35" groups* ouf of my Remmington M40 VNC with my handloads at 100 yards NO sizing (most of the time, benchrest conditions). What kind of improvement should I anticipate should I drop NO sizing and go with FL sizing?

(*) 1 group of 5 shots per box of 20 rounds is in the 0.35" range. All four 5-shot groups are smaller than 0.65".

You will get no arguement from me Mitch. One is no advantage on the other and vice versa, criss cross, and diagonal in regards to accuracy, BUT I also contend that when properly set up there is no loss of brass life in a FL sizing operation. If there is I have not experienced it in 29 years of loading. That leaves function alone. I have seen guns leave the line with a DNF on the card because of neck sizing. As to the brass life I saw a case head seperation this past Saturday from a guy with 35 years in the game and he neck sizes only. Not the first time I have seen him have a case head seperation either.