Changing caliber question

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Hey fellas,

Wondering how simple or difficult a caliber
Change would be on a custom built rifle.

From what I know the action just needs to match te caliber ie) short actions can shoot 308 or 260 and if I had a 260 and wanted to shoot 308, just buy and install a new barrel. Likewise a 338 lapua magnum takes a xl action, I can convert that to a 300 win mag right?

I also heard about a bolt face matching a caliber.. Does that restrict?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey fellas,

Wondering how simple or difficult a caliber
Change would be on a custom built rifle.

From what I know the action just needs to match te caliber ie) short actions can shoot 308 or 260 and if I had a 260 and wanted to shoot 308, just buy and install a new barrel. Likewise a 338 lapua magnum takes a xl action, I can convert that to a 300 win mag right?

I also heard about a bolt face matching a caliber.. Does that restrict?

You need a magnum bolt face bolt for 300 WM and a Lapua magnum bolt face bolt for 338 LM; you could shoot both from the same XL action.

The 260 and 308 can be shot using the same receiver and same bolt.

To shoot 223 and 260, you can use the same SA receiver, but you'll need a bolt with a 223 bolt face and another bolt with a 308 bolt face.

To get a convenient switch barrel setup, buy one of the new AI AT rifles, a DTA, or a receiver that has a pinned or integral recoil lug (Defiance Deviant, Surgeon, BAT Tactical). For a 700 style action with pinned/integral lug, you need an action wrench, a torque wrench and a barrel vise to change out the barrel.

It's not hard. I have a switch hitter setup on my Surgeon 591 (223, 6.5CM, and 308 Win).

Thanks lcdr but not looking to shoot multiple calibers was wanting to get a gun from a buddy but it's chambered in something I don't want.

Can I just change out the bolt face or I have to get a whole new xl action with the proper bolt face?

Changing caliber question

What is the specific action & caliber already, and what caliber do you want it to be?

Should be as straightforward as a new bolt, as I think the only actions capable of switching simply bolt faces are Savages, Bighorns, and the Stiller DGR.

Thanks boiler. Well I'm bring general because when I was contemplating buying a used firearm it was everything I wanted except caliber. I just wanted to know how easy or difficult it would be.

Sounds like for a short action I can have more leeway, like if I ended up buying a 260 just buy a 308 barrel and turn it into a 308 for example.

If it was a 338 lapua I would want a 300 win mag but that seems to be more difficult since i need to match bolt face.

I hope that clarified a little bit!

The short actions will give you more variety. There are so many great cartridges that utilize the 308 bolt face. Not to through more into the mix but a long action with a 308 bolt face opens up even more variety. I'm a huge 300 WM fan but that strictly based on terminal ballistics and defeating barriers.
Unless your looking for maximum penetration or ELR shooting, stick with the 308 family of cartridges, nearly anything 6mm-6.5 or the 308.
I wouldn't really waste the money buying a 260 to swap to a 308, there are far too many 308s out there and not enough 260s.
good luck

Ghengis, you can convert say a M700 in a 223 to a 308 etc. You would have to buy a new bolt or have yours machined. Don't forget a new mag box and follower too. If you are doing say 260 ---->308, then is it straight barrel swap.

Thanks boiler. Well I'm bring general because when I was contemplating buying a used firearm it was everything I wanted except caliber. I just wanted to know how easy or difficult it would be.

Sounds like for a short action I can have more leeway, like if I ended up buying a 260 just buy a 308 barrel and turn it into a 308 for example.

If it was a 338 lapua I would want a 300 win mag but that seems to be more difficult since i need to match bolt face.

I hope that clarified a little bit!

If the receiver is a Surgeon XL chambered in 338 LM, to make it 300 WM all you need is a new XL bolt with the smaller WM bolt face. Remember, that receivers designed for 338 LM often have a breech diameter of 1.350", vice the standard 1.250"; for 300 WM, this often means the barrel is special order.

You need a magnum bolt face bolt for 300 WM and a Lapua magnum bolt face bolt for 338 LM; you could shoot both from the same XL action.

The 260 and 308 can be shot using the same receiver and same bolt.

To shoot 223 and 260, you can use the same SA receiver, but you'll need a bolt with a 223 bolt face and another bolt with a 308 bolt face.

To get a convenient switch barrel setup, buy one of the new AI AT rifles, a DTA, or a receiver that has a pinned or integral recoil lug (Defiance Deviant, Surgeon, BAT Tactical). For a 700 style action with pinned/integral lug, you need an action wrench, a torque wrench and a barrel vise to change out the barrel.

It's not hard. I have a switch hitter setup on my Surgeon 591 (223, 6.5CM, and 308 Win).

I googled surgeon bolt replacement - I cannot for the life of me find the replacement bolt for a surgeon action .308 or mag - could you help a brother out?

Reactions: Agi700
CDB02852-7651-43D1-A09E-CB5532D10567.jpeg

run a remmage or savage with the same bolt face for the same 2 cartridges and it's pretty simple. Get a barrel vise, 2 c-clamps, along with the headspace gauges and your off the races...You cannot use this method for different bolt faces. If you get different bolts, or bolt heads your gtg.

I googled surgeon bolt replacement - I cannot for the life of me find the replacement bolt for a surgeon action .308 or mag - could you help a brother out?

They're probably not something they openly advertise as an "accessory" or part on their website, but I bet if you call them they could help you out. A buddy and I were building our 591's at the same time and had the same ideas, and if my memory serves he called them up one day and got an answer to this effect. That's been 4-5 years ago though...just like this original thread ?

[edit: spelling]