• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk Chassis or Stock?

headhunter37

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019
Newbie to positional matches, I've shot a handful of matches that are all prone 4-1300 yards. I'm building my first "competition" setup now. I've shot an MPA chassis setup and liked it but still feel more comfortable in a stock. Looking at the J Allen, looks like a hybrid design? How'd ya'll decide between a chassis or stock setup?

Unfortunately it's just finding what fits you best. I started with a McMillan A4, then went to a Manners T6A. Once I tried an MPA, which fits me like a glove, I've never used anything else. A good friend has a JAllen...he doesn't really like it and after trying his, I don't either. Some people swear by them. ??‍♂️

My only suggestion is to ask folks at matches if you can get behind their rifles to try out. Good luck!

Reactions: headhunter37
Trial and error. You won't know until you practice with both for a decent length of time. Coming from a long background with AR's and shooting chassis' for a couple of years it took me a few months to get used to the Foundation, but now I shoot it better than anything else.

Reactions: headhunter37
As others have mentioned, it's subjective and personal preference. What I like best may not suit you well.

I've been behind a lot of stocks and chassis', and I really like the JAE. It's super comfortable - you will hear this a lot from JAE advocates. Commonly stated as the most comfortable stock/chassis option on the market. Quality is great, design is superb, CS is beyond excellent, and great features and accessories available. It's definitely not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I started with stocks, but have since switched over to chassis. I hate how stocks "come as is" and require any gunsmithing work if you want to make changes (or work by someone comfortable with drilling and working on a ~$1000+ fiberglass stock - could be you). Doesn't have sling studs where you want them? Need to work on it. Need a picatinney of ARCA/RRS rail? Stock will need work. Want to try a different action, or ever upgrade the action? Need to remove the old bedding and have a gunsmith bed it. What about wanting a thicker barrel contour? Hopefully the barrel channel is large enough. Etc, etc, etc.

I've found chassis to be a lot more versatile and "future proof" over their stock counterparts. Of course, not all chassis' are equal. I really like that I can swap out barreled actions when I get the itch, add rails as need be, bag riders, NV bridges, etc. You simply can't do that to a stock without a lot of work.

Of course, you may prefer a stock and know exactly how you want it, and have no plans on changing actions in the foreseeable future.

I'm new to this game but I've been satisfied with Foundation Stocks Exodus. It has QD sockets up front and at the back, and I got the full length ARCA rail (used a small picatinny section at the beginning but have converted to ARCA).

It's heavy, it's dead with recoil, it looks sexy. I love it. It's has everything I need, and nothing I don't.
I'd like to give a MPA chassis a try but for right now, there's no point.

Reactions: Thebiglebowski
I'm a big fan of chassis because they are modular in most cases. I'm running an MDT chassis and an XLR buttstock. mounting stuff like studs and rails is easy and they can be moved/tweaked with a chassis. Stocks work better for some but I like the ability to tweak and customize without hacking on a expensive stock where mistakes are irreversible without a lot of work.

AthlononBipod.jpg

VooDoo

Reactions: Rover31
I've had better results with a chassis, personally, as I have always had issues getting comfortable behind a standard stock. Some of that may be due to my LOP, though. I've been running PDC Custom chassis for a few years now (Gen4c, X Project, and now Gen5C) and I've been really happy with them. The current Gen5C was specificially designed for PRS/NRL match use, and it's really well thought out.

I've used Manners T4a, MPA, MDT ACC, and foundation. I find I shoot the MDT and MPA better positional. Stocks I shoot better prone. I miss a lot more because of lack of stability on positional shots so I choose the chassis. That said it is completely personal preference. My friends shoot foundations insanely well. I'm the one guy with a chassis. Sometimes they beat me. Sometimes I beat them. there is no definitive answer on this one unfortunately. You need to try both. I'd recommend buying used on the exchange and trading/buying used until you find what works best for you.

Reactions: AustinTom
I prefer stocks, but a chassis will do more for less money. For instance, I'm spending over $2500 to deck out and bed a McMillan A6. A chassis, even one of the most expensive like the JAE will be less money. I also prefer the recoil on a stock vs a chassis.

You'll get a lot of different answers, it comes down to what you like. I would be interested in the chassis that the new AI ASR rifle uses. If it ever becomes available for a 700 I would like to try it. It looks like it what I didnt like about the AX.

Choice is personal preference. I hate AR grips on chassis so I like stocks. I use Manners stocks with the mini chassis so I can just drop in and go.

If you feel more comfortable with a stock, then stick with a stock. I've shot stocks and chassis, and I settled on the XLR Industries Envy chassis and I freaking love it. I like how modular chassis are, which you don't always get in a stock.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Go to the west, see more chassis, go to the east, see more stocks. Or at least down around the Texas and Oklahoma areas.

I've shot XLR, MDT ACC, and Manners. I loved my Manners and MDT the most, but Manners' wait time is just too long and the inability to adjust weight balance leaves me going back to the chassis.

It's worth saying that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the XLR either. I haven't had an Envy yet and it looks like there will be one in my near future....

Reactions: Justin30hate
There are positives and negatives to each choice. A lot of it comes down to how you like the looks of it and the ergos. I see an even mix of both at local matches. Since there are competition version of various stocks as well as competition chassis, you may as well get whatever you think looks cooler and makes you want to shoot your rifle. In the grand scheme of things, a couple hundred dollars one way or the other is minimal, so don't buy something you don't like just to save a few bucks.

Also keep in mind that you may want to attach it to a tripod some day, may want ARCA rails, and how you will attach your bipod. it is also nice to be able to put your bipod closer to your magwell for some stages. Just some food for thought.

I shoot an AI, so my choices are a little more limited, haha.

I'm a big fan of the chassis. I have a mdt lss on my Howa 6.5 mini action. It doesn't weigh too much more than stock and it allows for my young son to shoot it by adjusting the butt stock.

I’m a stock guy but I’ve been behind the majority of chassis and have an mpa. There’s pros and cons to both. And a lot of personal preference. Go to a local match and ask to try a few different ones see what feels good. My perfection is a Foundation.

Attachments

• D7193ECB-CAD5-40F3-B00C-6A6E28717875.jpeg
    D7193ECB-CAD5-40F3-B00C-6A6E28717875.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 207
I’m a stock guy but I’ve been behind the majority of chassis and have an mpa. There’s pros and cons to both. And a lot of personal preference. Go to a local match and ask to try a few different ones see what feels good. My perfection is a Foundation.

Nice rifle... What kind of scope rings are those?

Like the built-in level... Do you check it during matches?

Good thread. I've been looking at several topics, especially the "show me yours" thread. Seems like very close to 50% have chassis and 50% have stocks. And of the stocks, again about half solid and half adjustable. And even "hybrids", if that is the term, where I really can't tell which it is.

I have a go-to gunsmith in who has been building customs for thirty years. A few weeks ago I was asking his advice and he tells me he is seeing a swing back to preference for stocks rather than chassis. My guess is that maybe improved adjustables help that?

For those who mostly hunt - do you like your chassis in the field? Do you use your pistol grip like a pistol by wrapping your thumb around when you pull the trigger, or do you keep your thumb on the same side as your trigger finger?

Last edited:
I was a stock guy until I got a chassis and realized I was wrong. I got a XLR JV Envy Heavy earlier this year and it was the best money I have spent improving my shooting. The way I can adjust it to fit me has improved my shooting tremendously.

Try one out and see what works best for you, everybody is different.