Chassis Selection: Vision Vs AI AT-X

RonBurgundyy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2022
Cincinnati
All,

I am working on a build base around the Terminus Zeus action.. I was seriously considering at the AT-XC over building one but have now changed my mind and want to do a ground up build. This rifle will be a "PRS" style rifle but I don't want it to be a full on gamer rifle, which is why I have excluded the MDT Elite.

AT-X - This is the current front runner.. but it doesn't have a good option for a solid thumb rest while maintaining folding capability and It is currently only offered in there annoying keyslot that has limited aftermarket support for PRS related items. The one thing I love about the AT-X is the full length top pic rail that is at the same elevation as action.. Vision appears to be off set.

Vison Pro - Appears to basically be an improved version of the AT-X Chassis. Has everything I mentioned above and currently has success in PRS.. BUT from some pictures I have seen, it looks like the chassis would prevent the quick change barrel feature of the ZEUS.. Kinda a deal breaker. AS mentioned above the action appears to sit low in the chassis which I know is a good thing but that throws off proper alignment when running clip on.

What are everyone's thoughts on these chassis?

Last edited:
I am building a prs rig right now with Zeus and vision. GCP rifle co will mill a hole for you for $100, they are great people. Haven’t got the action yet but I did do the full top rail. The chassis is amazing and you won’t be disappointed.

What is the use case for non offset picatinny rail? I didn’t know Zeus would sit lower and they wouldn’t sit flush but I don’t see any reason to run a full rail on top in prs unless I’m not thinking of something.

ATX is nice also but I also have an AXSA and while the keyslot is better than mlok I was indeed so limited by options.

I have the AICS ATX. I put an MPA vertical grip on it. It has a built in thumb rest. I really like the ATX chassis, as a chassis. It is well designed. From the tooless adjustments, to the hinge, the forend length/ width, and the magwell. It's well executed. The negatives I've experienced are getting a hold of a hinge, the stupid F'ing keyslot that requires a $90 rail to attach a sling, and I ended up bedding the chassis because the POI would shift if the barrel got wacked somehow. With the hinge and the QD mount, I was mad at myself after buying the chassis for importing stupid AI problems into my R700 clone rifle. Scaricity of manufacturer parts and when you find them, expensive. Self inflicted gunshot. Eventually I was able to buy a $300 hinge. Say what you will, but AI has the best folding hinges I've experienced. As I look now, Anarchy Outdoors makes a simple keyslot QD mount for $50 so that solves the $100 shipped AI part. You may feel like you need to bed the chassis and you may not. That's more of a personal thing, I think. People really differ on that. I will say that I paid just under $1300 for the chassis. $300 for the hinge. $400 for cerakote, $100 for a sling QD mount, $250 for bedding. All in, about a $2400 chassis. And then you can spend more money on weights and foreend bridges if you want. I didn't need that stuff. The gun is already balanced and at 18 -19lbs scoped, with a titanium suppressor, CkyePod, and a 26" barrel.

AT-X AICS, RimX 22. No fly's on anything.
IMG_3160.JPG
IMG_3163.JPG

Atx was a rip off of the vision. Support the dude who created it.
Well. If you want to get all historical, I think it was the AIAO that the manufacturer of the Vision made for AO that was ripped off. And the Vision was/is it's own design despite some aesthetic similarities carried over when Sam collaborated with Vision. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Sam created the current Vision chassis. So if you bought one you wouldn't be supporting Sam who got ripped off when AI brought out the ATX, right?

I have an AI AO chassis and I have to say I like the ATX better. There it is. I said it. The AO is a fine chassis but I had to put a lot into it and I don't like how wide the fore-end is. At the time, it was the best thing going...but time marches in. The current Vision chassis looks very bulky and is a complicated configuration. I think the ATX is a little more slimline and benefits from simplicity.

Reactions: Criver600
Well. If you want to get all historical, I think it was the AIAO that the manufacturer of the Vision made for AO that was ripped off. And the Vision was/is it's own design despite some aesthetic similarities carried over when Sam collaborated with Vision. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Sam created the current Vision chassis. So if you bought one you wouldn't be supporting Sam who got ripped off when AI brought out the ATX, right?

I have an AI AO chassis and I have to say I like the ATX better. There it is. I said it. The AO is a fine chassis but I had to put a lot into it and I don't like how wide the fore-end is. At the time, it was the best thing going...but time marches in. The current Vision chassis looks very bulky and is a complicated configuration. I think the ATX is a little more slimline and benefits from simplicity.
To be honest I don't know the full details. It was a long thread back when the atx was released. I do recall Sam being involved and sending the chassis to AI to discuss selling the idea or making the chassis through AI and then AI came out with the atx "on their own". I like both but I still feel like that was quite a dick move.

To be honest I don't know the full details. It was a long thread back when the atx was released. I do recall Sam being involved and sending the chassis to AI to discuss selling the idea or making the chassis through AI and then AI came out with the atx "on their own". I like both but I still feel like that was quite a dick move.
Ya, I have one of the original, gen 1 AO chassis. That's the one that allegedly, probably, was AIs inspiration for the ATX.