Chassis vs Pillar Bedding for ELR

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Just throwing this out there as I ponder the pros and cons of either setup. This strictly pertains to shooting 1 mile and beyond as I feel the principles of shooting are relevant at all distances but very minor inconsistencies in these principles, equipment and external ballistics are all amplified the further out we shoot.

I have been told by every gunsmith/builder I have used over the years that when the question of accuracy and consistency came up in relation to my choice of chassis vs pillar bedded stock that the latter would always be more accurate and consistent from shot to shot but that the results would be minor.

Ok fair enough, minor differences between the 2 are to be expected but what exactly causes the disparity? Is it harmonics and bedding surface? And are the differences compounded the larger the caliber?

I am fully aware of the vast amount of shooter using chassis systems that are completely happy with their results. But the reason for asking this to find out who has experience with a chassis at elr, especially with a larger caliber. I have also taken into consideration that larger calibers will be inherently more forgiving at longer ranges due to the heavier, high bc bullets.

I am building a 300 PRC and already have a JAE chassis. If there is an advantage to building it on a pillar bedded stock then I would certainly consider it.

From my experience, not with anything over 338 yet, unless something is screwed up on one or the other, they both have an equal chance at not being the limiting factory in the system.

If done right, both should shoot to their potential. Many in the ELR game are successful with chassis systems. David Tubb and his Adaptive Target Rifle come to mind as one that has been in the winner's circle. The point is that as long as the receiver mates properly to the chassis, there is no reason it cannot compete on the same playing field as a conventionally bedded stock. But it all comes down to harmonics. Us old school guys have a hard time getting used to or liking the way a chassis recoils. I will always prefer the feel of a conventionally bedded stock. It is also a comfort thing; regardless of type, it needs to fit you so that you are comfortable in it. I often use the analagy of buying shoes when customers ask about what they should get. If the shoes don't fit right and/or are not comfortable, why would you buy them? You certainly won't wear much them once you do. Same thing applies to a custom rifle. But this is purely a personal preference thing. I know this is slight off the OP here, but it is important.
One more thing to mention about chassis; if the receiver of choice doesn't quite mate properly to the chassis of choice, it can always be skim bedded. There are many a Remington receivers bedded to chassis simply because the outside of a Remington is well... a Remington.

Reactions: nick338
I had a good conversation with someone today that suggested the minor differences between the 2 setups would come down to tolerances on the action and the stress caused by mating one metal surface to another with the chassis which may cause a slight degradation in precision. No matter how high the quality is on the action or chassis there will always be a slight variance dimensionally and that a proper bedding job alleviates this because you're building the stock/bedding around that variance. However, the difference would be so minimal that it really comes down to personal preference and worrying about atmospherics would be of far greater importance.

If done right, both should shoot to their potential. Many in the ELR game are successful with chassis systems. David Tubb and his Adaptive Target Rifle come to mind as one that has been in the winner's circle. The point is that as long as the receiver mates properly to the chassis, there is no reason it cannot compete on the same playing field as a conventionally bedded stock. But it all comes down to harmonics. Us old school guys have a hard time getting used to or liking the way a chassis recoils. I will always prefer the feel of a conventionally bedded stock. It is also a comfort thing; regardless of type, it needs to fit you so that you are comfortable in it. I often use the analagy of buying shoes when customers ask about what they should get. If the shoes don't fit right and/or are not comfortable, why would you buy them? You certainly won't wear much them once you do. Same thing applies to a custom rifle. But this is purely a personal preference thing. I know this is slight off the OP here, but it is important.
One more thing to mention about chassis; if the receiver of choice doesn't quite mate properly to the chassis of choice, it can always be skim bedded. There are many a Remington receivers bedded to chassis simply because the outside of a Remington is well... a Remington.

Funny, you sound like the gentleman I was talking to today. And his name was Dan.

The best setup is a barrel block configuration where the action free floats. This configuration significantly reduces the cantilevered barrel weight while increasing rigidity. Mate it in a properly designed laminated wood stock and you have a great combination that is easy to tune. There is a reason this configuration consistently wins heavy gun 1000 yard benchrest matches. Apply this configuration in your ELR rifle and you will not be disappointed.

I don't think it's a bedding issue as you can bed a chassis
Chassis are too flexible because of all the pieces bolted together and the larger the caliber the more the flexing shows up.
Throw in a folder and you just keep adding places for the entire set-up to wiggle.

Sorry David, I used it only in reference as compared to a conventionally bedded stock. I should not have, nor did I intentionally, lump it in with broader title of chassis.

There can be problems with both if a chassis and action are not mated properly it can induce issues same with piller bedding. alum one piece chassis are good when hanging lots of weight from heavy barrels that the heavy barrels can cause issues with a conventional piller bedded stock. alum chassis are a big heat sink so torque spects can change plus the alum being close or in some places touching the barreled action can wick small amounts of heat away from the barrel