• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Checking rail alignment

adill84

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
I have a Savage LA flat back rifle with EGW rail, Badger Rings, and Burris Veracity scope. After zeroing there is about 3/4 MOA of right windage left. To me after checking torque and looking at everything it appears the rail mounting holes are drilled slightly off to the right. Is there a way to have someone check to verify if I’m correct and maybe make the appropriate repair? Also is there any bolt on stock or chassis options available that will free float the barrel and support using a bipod? This model has the internal magazine it it makes a difference.

Thanks for any help

Which exact savage? Plenty of stock/chassis options, depending on barrel diameter most would be free floated. (Check mdt and hs precision or any other chassis or stock maker to see if they list your action in their models and inletting…. Swapping out to a chassis might also allow you to ditch the blind internal magazine for a detachable one)

As for the rail alignment, other than have the screw holes welded up and re drilled/tapped, not much you can do - but the curve on the top of the action (if it is?) should help keep the rail straight….. my first point of fault finding here would be adjust nothing, but swap the rings front to back, shoot it and not the difference . . . I have found rails that aren’t straight, I have found rings that were off center, might have to change them out, or just swap them front to back or turn on or the other or both backwards (if they fit that way) to even out any error….