• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cheek Riser Options?

Multi-Tool

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
I have a Rem 700 with an HS Precision stock. I bought a Vortex Razor HD (gen 1) scope and it has high rings. I could replace the rings with lower height rings, but even if I did that, I think I would still need a riser of some sort. I prefer something that is modestly priced and doesn't require modifying the stock. I have seen the Bradley cheek rest and the ones that require drilling mounting bolts like Karsten cheek rest. The Bradley seems to be on the pricey side, but doesn't require drilling. So, what options do you recommend?

Thanks!

Something like this. Use 3m double side tape super secure

Attachments

• 6DAAB27B-9F2D-4AFD-AC22-27D30F0884FD.jpeg
    6DAAB27B-9F2D-4AFD-AC22-27D30F0884FD.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 244
I have a kydex cheek riser on one rifle and a victor company titan cheekrest on my manners T4 455. Both work well and require drilling but it’s no big deal. Easy peasy!

Thanks for the replies. Here are some questions:

• For a simple Kydex riser, would a heat gun or maybe a curling iron be sufficient to do the bending?

• Does anyone have pics of how much rise you can get with a stock pack?

I belive he was wanting to work with raw flat kydex diy.

I helped my son make some holsters.
It was heated in our oven and was easy to mould into simple shapes, details of guns surface took a bit more work but easily diy friendly.

The 3m double side tape on a clean dry surface is very sturdy if used on 2 smooth surfaces. You can then remove it by soaking with alcohol and brute force, it will not just fall off.

Reactions: Heffo
Duct tape with closed-cell foam and topped with a stock pouch (if you need/want one). Obviously make sure you can remove your bolt before you start lol.
This will allow you to build as much or little of a rise you need, as you can thinly slice the foam pieces.

The only negative of a stock pack is that they are thick width wise and push your face off the centerline of the rifle which makes it tougher to get behind the rifle without lying your head over more than otherwise necessary. Depending on the stock design I can deal with it. Other stock combs I choose to build it up with padding and vet wrap.

Does anyone know of a stock pack that is only padded on top and not the sides.

I put a KMW Loggerhead into my HS Precision. This is the same hardware that Manners uses and I'm a big fan.

There's a guy by the name of Joe Ducos in Modesto who did the modification on the stock. The key selling feature for me is that you can slide the riser side to side to allow people with wide cheek bones to get lined up better behind the optic.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0047_cropped.jpg

Reactions: Multi-Tool
I like that setup!

I put a KMW Loggerhead into my HS Precision. This is the same hardware that Manners uses and I'm a big fan.

There's a guy by the name of Joe Ducos in Modesto who did the modification on the stock. The key selling feature for me is that you can slide the riser side to side to allow people with wide cheek bones to get lined up better behind the optic.

View attachment 7214421

View attachment 7214422

I bought one of these. Has Velcro that holds it to stock. Works great! It is just kydex.

Attachments

• DBFF7537-510B-4AA8-A5A5-4335423F284B.jpeg
    DBFF7537-510B-4AA8-A5A5-4335423F284B.jpeg
    728.1 KB · Views: 591
Reactions: Snuby642
I bought one of these. Has Velcro that holds it to stock. Works great! It is just kydex.

Hello CF,
I just posted tis for someone else. I just thought it would be a good product to let the SH group in on. It is really great stuff.

I just had a thought for your problem. Drilling holes in your stock would suck so my alternative that I offer to you is this:
Go to McMaster Carr and do a serch for 94935K17. It is for some "snap together fastener."
It is basically super Velcro !! It would certainly grab with enough force and it's design would prevent your cheek piece from moving at all. It can be repositioned like Velcro but it is a much different product. 3M makes it and it is called Dual Lock. I have also bought it at Radio Shack, Home depot and Lowes but I know what it looks like. The photo called "dual_lock" is the way you will see it at your local stores.
It is really some fantastic stuff !! Both side of the material are the same shape and the little heads interconnect firmly. Once your introduced to it, you will find plenty of uses for it. I have included a photo of stem densities but you don't need to know that. You will end up with 170 or 250 and either will work great. The advantage to going to McMaster Carr is that you can get different widths and lengths.

Attachments

• dual_lock.jpg
    dual_lock.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 66
  • OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 58
  • OIPC4UBXPFT.jpg
    OIPC4UBXPFT.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 84
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 62
Hello CF,
I just posted tis for someone else. I just thought it would be a good product to let the SH group in on. It is really great stuff.

I just had a thought for your problem. Drilling holes in your stock would suck so my alternative that I offer to you is this:
Go to McMaster Carr and do a serch for 94935K17. It is for some "snap together fastener."
It is basically super Velcro !! It would certainly grab with enough force and it's design would prevent your cheek piece from moving at all. It can be repositioned like Velcro but it is a much different product. 3M makes it and it is called Dual Lock. I have also bought it at Radio Shack, Home depot and Lowes but I know what it looks like. The photo called "dual_lock" is the way you will see it at your local stores.
It is really some fantastic stuff !! Both side of the material are the same shape and the little heads interconnect firmly. Once your introduced to it, you will find plenty of uses for it. I have included a photo of stem densities but you don't need to know that. You will end up with 170 or 250 and either will work great. The advantage to going to McMaster Carr is that you can get different widths and lengths.
Good stuff. Thank you, I will have to pick some up.

You can buy Kydex directly from these guys.

Plenty of patterns to choose from. Go basic black, to unicorns, to frogs or tacos.

I'm working with a Kydex company right not that will mass produce some kits for me. You have to drill and install 2 threaded inserts just like you would for flush cups. Manners will actually install the hardware if you order a stock from them. Then it has shims of various thicknesses. I needed a super light weight option for hunting rifles. This is my first prototype. After I get this first batch back, I will be looking for a couple DIY guys to install them and give me feed back. Kit will include inserts, spacers, screws and the cheek piece.
20200126_131958.jpg

Reactions: Codyarkansas
What does the hardware look like on the other side?
Will it be adjustable fore and aft, (please say yes) or is it more of a hope you get it correct or you'll pinch your cheek?

My most recent DIY project:

This Macmillan A4 was inletted for a Winchester when I got it.

20181002_132553.jpg

Had to install pillars, a cross bolt, clean up and re-do the ejection port and bolt handle cut out.
Installed Magpul bottom metal (okay, plastic) and painted it.

20200112_090444.jpg

As you can see it needs a cheek riser.
Built a temporary one out of rolled up tool drawer liner and K tape. I used the K tape so it wouldn't gum up the paint when I remove it.

I'd be willing to try one of your risers if you want me to.

What does the hardware look like on the other side?
Will it be adjustable fore and aft, (please say yes) or is it more of a hope you get it correct or you'll pinch your cheek?

My most recent DIY project:

This Macmillan A4 was inletted for a Winchester when I got it.

View attachment 7242288

Had to install pillars, a cross bolt, clean up and re-do the ejection port and bolt handle cut out.
Installed Magpul bottom metal (okay, plastic) and painted it.

View attachment 7242297

As you can see it needs a cheek riser.
Built a temporary one out of rolled up tool drawer liner and K tape. I used the K tape so it wouldn't gum up the paint when I remove it.

I'd be willing to try one of your risers if you want me to.
It looks the same on the other side. Has 2 screws from the top. For right now, I am not drilling the holes in the riser itself to the user can set it where it is. And really, you dont, or at least i dont, feel the screws. I might try some thicker kydex to recess them a tad. I had also thought about drilling a few sets of holes in the front and rear to add some adjustment. Shoot me a PM and Ill write you down for when I get a few kits ready.

I know this is a bit of an older thread but I am posting for the benefit of those who will be coming to it going forward. I recently found and purchased the Titan Universal Cheek Rest for my t1x and I really like it. It's $30 USD, and does what it needs to do. The intention is to screw it into your stock, though you could get away with taping it if you didn't want to screw it in.

Attachments

• t1xjuly.png
    t1xjuly.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 907