child rifle?

Malum Prohibitum

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2022
Senoia GA
My son is 7, almost 8. He likes to shoot in the backyard with me using a CZ Scout (a youth sized rifle, open sights, that shoots pretty accurately).

He keeps asking me when I am going to let him "compete in shooting," as in PRS type competition, LOL.

Since he is not ready for a centerfire rifle yet, I thought about maybe building him a rimfire and practicing with him and maybe starting him in competition that way. I have never competed in any .22 lr and do not own a precision .22. All of my .22 rifles are standard factory type offerings from decades ago (Remington 597, a couple difference CZ rifles, and one or two more I cannot think of right now).

There is a bewildering array of options out there for precision rimfire, but most of what I am looking at does not appear suitable for a seven year old boy.

If any of you have started a smaller child on a precision .22 lr, could you tell me what you learned? Even if the rifle or build you chose was a bad choice, I would like to hear about it, as I would rather learn from your mistake than make my own.

I guess it needs to be small, duh, and probably a lot lighter than if I were building it for myself.

I am also not sure how much $$$ to put into such a rifle as he may need another in a few years as he grows.

Optics suggestions, too please. I am guessing they are probably different than what I put on my 6mm GT gun.

Please participate if you have any guidance, Hey, I suggest this, or, Don't do this. All opinions are welcome, especially if you have experience with a child this age.

I too started my kids on the scout, at about 11 they out grew the scout and I move them to the cuz American. Until they were 12-13 their attention span was too short to get into a formal competition. They did however love trying to outshoot me. I would set targets and see how they did knocking them over and then I would shoot them and normally let them win a couple of rounds. They would come home and brag about beating dad to wife and anyone who was around. Then they started schedule next competition. It kept the joy and eagerness growing.

I built my son a custom 223rem bolt gun with a Bartlein barrel and he picked out the mcmillian stock when he was 8. Built him a rack grade AR when he was 9.

He shoots 75 and 77gr handloads out to 600yd all day long shooting prone with the 223rem bolt gun. He's 14 now and I gave him a brand new JP AR a few months ago. He's been shooting rifles since he was 4 sitting on my lap at the bench.

He's now getting into Shooting pistol and loves my new Prodigy.

I've got a 4 and 6 yr old that are shooting mine. I'm going the opposite way and trying to decide on cheaper guns to let them learn and beat on.

My cz457 is in and LSS chassis with a big 5-25 on top. It's way to heavy for them if they were trying to compete in anything. I leave it stuck on the tripod for them to use.

If I were building them something to do comps with I'd probably go with a tikka and keep it in the plastic stock. Put a lightish 3-15 or 3-18 on it and let them learn. Nothing wrong with the CZ vs tikka, I just think the tills would be a bit lighter than any of the CZs.

The tikka and cz have plenty of support now to grow with the kid and the sport if he sticks with it. They both have tons of stock/chassis options and you can get new barrels or whatever easy. Obviously any of the 700 action rimfire clones have all the aftermarket support but a much higher entry cost.

Almost any decent rifle can start as a suitably sized rifle for a youngster then grow as they do. I would tend to tell people to avoid economy stuff, as my experience is a quality gun is much easier to shoot well, and less frustrating especially to new shooters.
Something like a CZ ( even the scout you have with an appropriate optic on it and possibly swapped into a different stock ) would be a start.
While some scoff at semiautos, another bad place to start is the easily modified ruger 10/22. Can start with a light short barrel, and add stuff as the child grows. As an adult I have a Kidd 10/22 as my primary rifle, and while it does give up some things to a good bolt gun, works for me. And there are countless stocks barrels triggers out there to optimize it for a specific person / size person.

While definitely budget and contradictory to my previous comments, a simple savage mark II isn’t a bad choice either. Doesn’t have the refinement of the better guns by a long shot, and is not upgradable like a lot of others, but shoots well considering the humble $250 or so price tag new. I started with one as a test, not sure if I would continue shooting this type of matches. I have fired multiple perfect 40x40 scores in silhouette with one.

My cz457 is in and LSS chassis with a big 5-25 on top. It's way to heavy for them if they were trying to compete in anything. I leave it stuck on the tripod for them to use.
Even the lightweight little CZ Scout, I started setting up a little plywood bench on sawhorses and through my sandbag up there for him to rest the rifle on.

As adults we often forget how heavy a rifle is to hold standing off hand.

In .22LR the Tikka T1x is a nice, accurate, lightweight choice that is usually very accurate out of the box and would be a good starter for him in .22LR
The CZ 457 is also nice but would come in probably a lot heavier.

however, at 8 years old, a nice bolt action .223 might be a nice option. You could start with at Tikka T3x CTR that's pretty light and handy and then change the stock later or build a nicer one.

Depending on his size, either get replacement stocks that are shorter or cut down the backside of the stocks depending on the model.

Any of those are things that you can have him keep as he grows up and just change stocks as he wants or upgrade parts of them but you wouldn't be needing to start over anytime.

Reactions: padom
I'd get some 10 round magazines and put a good scope on the Scout. Harris bipod and you're good to go until he outgrows the size of the Scout. Take him to local PRS, NRL22 and bench rest matches. He can get the feel of competition and upgrade later as needed.

IME the length of pull on the T1x is borderline too long, unless your kid is already past 5' 6". I know I will get flamed for this but a Ruger Precision Rimfire is set up out of the box for what you are asking; 12-15.5" adjustable LOP, adjustable cheek riser, user replaceable AR grip and 6.8 pounds.

It can fit just about any size kid and keep adjusting as they grow. It also has the ability to easily add whatever accessory is wanted or needed.

The downsides are:
The usual OEM barrel quality lottery, some will shoot great out of the box, others won't.
Possible bedding block fitment issues, sometimes easily fixable, sometimes not.
Limited trigger adjustment range and only two (expensive) aftermarket replacements.
Magazine tuning or magazine catch tuning may be required.
It looks and feels cheap.

Besides the adjust-ability aspect they can be found for $450ish new. I'm not aware of a replacement chassis for a Cz/Tikka/Bergara etc. that ticks every single box near that price. All will be longer LOP, non adjustable etc. That is a lot going in the Rugers favor. You will also find every single one of the downsides leveled against every brand factory .22 "match" rifle in this same sub-forum albeit not at the same frequency.

The next best is as Bill suggested above, put a scope and bipod on your Cz Scout and give it a try.

After my kids mastered the cz American I got each of them a Kidd SuperGrade. Building I would pick my long term preferred action (Tikka/RimX/ Voduu) and a reasonable barrel ( not real heavy yet) then find a chassis/stock that fits you kid or grow into. Plan to buy at least one more stock as they get older.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
LOP and weight are the two key factors in youth rifles. I wasn’t able to find a single factory rifle to meet the criteria so I built a lightweight AR 22. Next will be a bolt gun. CZ 457, MDT chassis, ultralight barrel. Top it with some ultralight scope, maybe Leupold. My kids have never enjoyed shooting guns that don’t fit.