• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range

cheyennewyo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
CHEYENNE, WY
I am looking to buy a new dedicated long(er) range hunting rifle. I have pretty much made up my mind I would like a 300 PRC (I know the 28 Nosler has better ballistics). Weight is not a huge concern to me as long as the rifle tips the scales south of 10lb and has an adjustable cheek piece and length of pull. I was leaning toward a custom rifle, but I ran across the Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range. It seems to be about right and runs $1,400 out the door. That being said, $1,400 isn't a bad deal for a turnkey rifle with a brake, lower-end TT trigger, and an acceptable stock. I shoot competitively, so I am used to nice rifles and realize this would be a downgrade from what I shoot, but I don't need a comp gun for hunting.

Question: What kind of accuracy and reliability have you found in the Christensen guns (the newer ones) and is there some other rifle I should be looking at in the price range? Are the stocks actually rigid like they advertise? Since I know it will come up, I have no desire to be able to change bolt faces or calibers on a regular basis. I also have a good gunsmith locally who can spin up a Bartlein for a decent price if I ever burn out the current barrel (unlikely as it is just a hunting rifle).

I'm looking at this exact rifle. I know some of the older Christensen arms rifles have had some accuracy issues, but from what I understand the newer ones shoot quite well. I honestly think that you can't find a better rifle chambered in 300PRC than the mesa long range, at least not based on all the research I've done. The next one I'm looking at is the Bergara HMR Premier in 300PRC, but its quite a bit more money.

I was looking at the Mesa LR in 6.5 PRC. Im not finding much on accuracy reviews yet. I think CA's fiberglass barrels are hit or miss. Seems like if they get a little warm they start walking. I want to know if the standard barrel on the Mesa LR will shoot sub to .5 MOA like it should. I was just at Sportsmans WH here in Casper, looking at the CA rifles. Unfortunately they didn't have the Mesa LR on the shelf so I could check it out. Let us know if you get one, and how well it shoots.

I've been looking at the Christiansen Arms MPR with the steel barrel. It's very affordable compared to some of the others. I"m finding it as low as $1700. They sell the chassis alone for over $1000. It might be a good option. Hell, even if i bought it and turned around and sold the chassis for $750 I could get a KRG Bravo and have cash left over.

Reactions: Prodigy24
Yup, that's whats pushing me towards it. Plus I'm a bit old fashioned, I like steel barrels. The extra weight doesn't bother me. In 20 years I might be looking for something lighter weight, but not yet. Also its not that I don't like the chassis that the MPR comes in, it looks well designed and well executed. I just really like the KRG Bravo chassis. I tell ya what, I'll sell you the chassis if I get an MPR, sound good? Ha ha ha!

Reactions: Duck888
Yup, that's whats pushing me towards it. Plus I'm a bit old fashioned, I like steel barrels. The extra weight doesn't bother me. In 20 years I might be looking for something lighter weight, but not yet. Also its not that I don't like the chassis that the MPR comes in, it looks well designed and well executed. I just really like the KRG Bravo chassis. I tell ya what, I'll sell you the chassis if I get an MPR, sound good? Ha ha ha!
Just saw t hff at KRG has a online only black friday sale on their blem stocks. Might check that out.

Reactions: TheChief
I'm looking at this exact rifle. I know some of the older Christensen arms rifles have had some accuracy issues, but from what I understand the newer ones shoot quite well. I honestly think that you can't find a better rifle chambered in 300PRC than the mesa long range, at least not based on all the research I've done. The next one I'm looking at is the Bergara HMR Premier in 300PRC, but its quite a bit more money.
Did you ever "pull the trigger" on getting either of these? I just purchased a Bergara HMR Pro 300 PRC a few minutes ago, and just saw the Christensen Mesa Long Range in 300 PRC. If ammo or brass were available, I'd buy them both and sell the one I don't like. But, 300 PRC ammo and brass are like unicorns right now. I don't mine holding one during the wait, but not both.

Reactions: TheChief
I got a Bergara Premier, but not the HMR Pro. They weren't in stock yet. I got the Ridgeback, then took it out of the Ridgeback stock and put it in a KRG Bravo. The Ridgeback just didn't fit me well, and I love the KRG Bravo's so it was a no brainer to go to that, plus I dropped a pound of weight going that route. You will like the Bergara, for sure. Factory ammo was wildly inconsistent with my Magnetospeed V3, it had swings of 100FPS. Using reloads, once I got my load dialed in, it shoots one hole groups consistently. I put an Area 419 Sidewinder brake on it and it kicks like a .243 now. It's a superb rifle.
IMG_2852.JPG

Did you ever "pull the trigger" on getting either of these? I just purchased a Bergara HMR Pro 300 PRC a few minutes ago, and just saw the Christensen Mesa Long Range in 300 PRC. If ammo or brass were available, I'd buy them both and sell the one I don't like. But, 300 PRC ammo and brass are like unicorns right now. I don't mine holding one during the wait, but not both.