• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Chrome moly vs Stainless.

Attachments

• IMG_20240805_115857.jpg
    IMG_20240805_115857.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 35
is stainless easier to finish and lap with respect to the bore, perhaps producing more consistent bores? or maybe it's just the rustproof qualities?
I've only ever ordered gucci stainless, never chromoly.

is stainless easier to finish and lap with respect to the bore, perhaps producing more consistent bores? or maybe it's just the rustproof qualities?
I've only ever ordered gucci stainless, never chromoly.
I dunno, but at this point I'm gonna have to point you to Google and SH searches. I'll offer this parting quote from Bartlein's FAQ:

• Do you offer other types of steel for the barrels?
    Yes, we offer Chrome Moly (C.M. 4140) steel, Stainless Steel (S.S. 416R) as well as Mod400 a Bartlein Barrel exclusive.
  • Which steel is better?
    Each type of steel has strengths and weaknesses. -C.M. must be used for some of the lighter contours of barrels. C.M is also needed for customers wanting to "blue" the steel. C.M. is more likely to rust if not properly cleaned and stored. -Our standard stainless steel covers 95% of the barrels that we run. It is the most widely used material for target and hunting purposes. It is possible to rust if not properly cleaned and stored but far less likely than C.M. -Mod400 is a Bartlein Barrel exclusive and was designed to achieve longer barrel life. Mod400 is still a 400 series stainless so no new tooling or machine speeds are needed.

Reactions: Cody S
I dunno, but at this point I'm gonna have to point you to Google and SH searches. I'll offer this parting quote from Bartlein's FAQ:

• Do you offer other types of steel for the barrels?
    Yes, we offer Chrome Moly (C.M. 4140) steel, Stainless Steel (S.S. 416R) as well as Mod400 a Bartlein Barrel exclusive.
  • Which steel is better?
    Each type of steel has strengths and weaknesses. -C.M. must be used for some of the lighter contours of barrels. C.M is also needed for customers wanting to "blue" the steel. C.M. is more likely to rust if not properly cleaned and stored. -Our standard stainless steel covers 95% of the barrels that we run. It is the most widely used material for target and hunting purposes. It is possible to rust if not properly cleaned and stored but far less likely than C.M. -Mod400 is a Bartlein Barrel exclusive and was designed to achieve longer barrel life. Mod400 is still a 400 series stainless so no new tooling or machine speeds are needed.
Thanks for the info. My wife and her gunsmithing instructor started a gunsmithing shop.. and I want a show piece to drum up business and I wanted the serrated flute.. see above.. " build it and they will come"

Reactions: Cody S