• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Classic/ Hunting rifle picture thread

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    As much as i love Tactical chassis rifles thatll make tiny groups at 1000 yds......ive also got a soft spot for nice classic hunting guns, somthing with some nice wood and a touch of class, designed for bringing down a buck or popping a gopher.

Just finished piecing together this rig for upcoming deer season.

Savage 212 (ok "technically" its a shotgun), bedded into a Boyds Platinum walnut stock, topped with a basic Leupold 1-4X.

PCtYcWf.jpg

02rpv6W.jpg

2rvsE36.jpg

so lets see em!

Not really a "classic" either, but it's my deer gun. She will wear a different scope eventually (3-18 VX6) but I'm still waiting for the mounts.

Attachments

• photo68256.jpg
      photo68256.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 40
    Winchester model 70 super grade in 30-06 with leupold vx-2 3-9x40....pretty much never shoot it unfortunately, always too worried to scratch it up...
    IMG_4179.JPG

This is is normally my go to standard hunting rifle...Remington 700 308win stainless in McMillan gamscout stock with leupold VX-3 3.5-10x30 with CDS dials out to 600yards...light, fast, durable...
    IMG_4174.JPG

Winchester model 70 super grade in 30-06 with leupold vx-2 3-9x40....pretty much never shoot it unfortunately, always too worried to scratch it up...

Super grades are just pure sex, there's something about a gold ring on a nice wood stocked rifle too. I've got a Safari in 375H&H and have been meaning to pick up a Super Grade in 308, 30-06, 300WM, or 7RM for a sort of matching pair. I'm in the same boat though about scratching it and is one of the reason why I haven't picked up a super grade. I know it will just sit.

Wedding gift from my wife.

Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in 30-06 with the floor plate and grip cap engraved and initials inlaid with sterling silver.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm8.staticflickr.com\/7449\/9588196099_0bb0714594_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Winchester Model 70 Super Grade by X Ring, on Flickr

VERY classy!....personally i like silver inlay on blued guns a lot better than gold inlay, i like the contrast a lot better.

It's a Shiloh Creedmoor that I customized all to hell. The Creedmoor is their only model that combines the pistol grip with a single trigger. Seemed an ideal hunting gun after I removed the standard Creedmoor fanciness and added some of my own. I have two other shilohs (one pistol grip, one straight stock)that have set triggers, and I found that reaching around the lever and set triggers is uncomfortable. Once I held the Creedmoor at Shot a number of years ago, I was sold on it.

45-70 standard chamber(Shoots paper patch or greasers very well).
    26" standard weight, half round barrel(shortest they'd go)
    Trigger set to 3.5 lbs.
    Ebony schnabel
    Ghost ring barrel sling swivel
    Steel checkered butt plate
    Beaded cheek
    All the screws are timed to 6 and 12
    Bone and charcoal pack hardening
    Extra fancy wood/hand select, with a AA finish.
    Full buckhorn rear and penny front sight

I'll post some more pics.

aaf72c304495dfa085be806fafa90fc9.jpg
    1cd5037b027b170e813afb403e35535c.jpg
    2d5e22beafad46f7129f490d32381e97.jpg

Zeroed to shoot right on top of the front sight at 50 yds. Three shot group with a Postell bullet and black powder. 530 gr bullet at 1125 fps. I actually hunt with a different bullet than this. Either a 520 gr PP bullet or a 513 grn flat nosed greaser.
    402623a1876a3c5a65e2ef28bafb24ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines quite old at being made in 1886 but she still shoots like it's supposed to. It is a real honest to goodness trapdoor sporting rifle. They were made and used for visiting politicians and VIP's from other countries to hunt buffalo and grizzly bear. I think it's why it's inreally good shape for its age. One problem with that though??
    the guy I bought it from, thought it would be worth more if he had it polished and reblued and the stock stripped and re-finished!!!! GEEESH!!!! Oh well I was looking for a shooter and yes I got it for a real good price. It shoots a nice cloverleaf at 100 yds with 38 grs weight of blackhorn 209 powder under a 405 gr. Lead flat nose bullet with a wonder wad under it. I have molds frommy days with a Shiloh sharps 1874 no. 3 sporter 45/70 so I'm goim
    ng to definitely load up some black powder loads.

Attachments

• photo68794.jpg
      photo68794.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 39
    picked up a new Elephant gun today......Ruger No.1 in .375H&H magnum.

KjrXDBc.jpg

m6rWPyx.jpg

5H8RjvO.jpg

.308 and .300 win mag for scale........round is like a fucking Cigar......

Obviously I have an affinity falling blocks, so i like that a bunch. Ive almost purchased one several times over the years. They used to make that in .416 rigby as well.

Is that factory wood? Looks great, now you need to go whack something big with it. .375 is a fantastic round for just about anything imo. I have an uncle who took one to Africa about 15 times(literally), and absolutely swears by it.

Obviously I have an affinity falling blocks, so i like that a bunch. Ive almost purchased one several times over the years. They used to make that in .416 rigby as well.

Is that factory wood? Looks great, now you need to go whack something big with it. .375 is a fantastic round for just about anything imo. I have an uncle who took one to Africa about 15 times(literally), and absolutely swears by it.

they still do make it in .416 rigby....as well as .458 lott and .450/400 NE.......been thinking about picking up another one in .458Lott as well.

but yeah, thats the factory wood.....was pleasantly surprised when i picked it up....but unfortunately it only has that nice figure on one side of the stock...the other side is somewhat bland......may put some exhibition grade walnut on it at some point.

got it primarily for Elk and Nilgai hunting......and im determined to get to Africa at least once.