• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

CLE & Bartlein Sweetness

Brandon05_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Charleston, WV
I needed to run a few more rounds through the SPR before I felt confident in developing a load. It only had 40 rounds down the tube, and I'm still running the load from my last upper. Wife asked to go too. Sure why not; it's just trigger time.

I crack off three and rang steel at 200, 300, and 400. I set it up for 300 because that is the largest plate at 12", and the wife leaves a gray spot in the center. I say lets try 400. She throws three rounds at a 40% IPSC at 400 yards and...

1.jpg

We drove out to the target, and it was a 2 3/16" group. She asked if that was good, and I said, well I know bolt guns that don't shoot that good.

3.jpg

I've since switched the plate rack at 400 to 4", 3", and 2" squares for a sort of KYL rack. I centered the 4" first shot, dropped the first low at the 3", and caught it with the second, and center punched the 2" with the fourth shot.

I can't recommend CLE and Bartlein enough. CLE puts together one damn fine rifle with arguably the best customer service, and we all know Bartlein turns out the best tubes.

2.jpg

Last edited:
I needed to run a few more rounds through the SPR before I felt confident in developing a load. It only had 40 rounds down the tube, and I'm still running the load from my last upper. Wife asked to go too. Sure why not; it's just trigger time.

I crack off three and rang steel at 200, 300, and 400. I set it up for 300 because that is the largest plate at 12", and the wife leaves a gray spot in the center. I say lets try 400. She throws three rounds at a 40% IPSC at 400 yards and...

View attachment 7682520

We drove out to the target, and it was a 2 3/16" group. She asked if that was good, and I said, well I know bolt guns that don't shoot that good.

View attachment 7682522

I've since switched the plate rack at 400 to 4", 3", and 2" squares for a sort of KYL rack. I centered the 4" first shot, dropped the first low at the 3", and caught it with the second, and center punched the 2" with the fourth shot.

I can't recommend CLE and Bartlein enough. CLE puts together one damn fine rifle with arguably the best customer service, and we all know Bartlein turns out the best tubes.

View attachment 7682527
What caliber ?

Reactions: Brandon05_88
@bigjake83 @blbennett1288

CLE 5.56 Match Chamber
Bartlein 18.1" 1:7.7" twist four groove with intermediate gas length, and gas port in between lands
A slightly thicker than SPR contour with 0.875" between chamber and gas block, 0.740" to the muzzle with 5/8-24 threads
It is bedded with Loctite 620.

Vltor MUR-1A upper
BCM KMR 15" rail
BCM BCG and 3x3 ambidextrous CH
BCM low profile 0.750" gas block
CLE gas tube

BCM lower
Geissele SSA-E
Tubb's flat wire spring
H2 buffer
Magpul PRS gen 3

Nightforce 4-16x42 F1 with Mil-C in a Spuhr 4016

Berger 77 OTM
Varget 23.5 grains
Lapua brass
CCI BR-4
2.250"
The first 20 rounds unsuppressed chrono'd 2,633 fps with an ES of 28 and a SD of 8.

Last edited:
@Huskydriver

I had called CLE just before the holidays, and they quoted 10 weeks.
I sent the parts on January 11th.
They called on March 22nd and said the Vltor upper was out of spec. That was exactly 10 weeks to the day it was sent to them.
I eventually received it on April 30th, or 15 weeks.

The new Vltor upper barrel extension was 0.002" oversized. CLE noticed it and called instead of just slapping it together. Vltor replaced the upper, and CLE assembled the upper. They could've easily just pushed it out the door, but this is what makes them the shop they are known for.

@bigjake83 @blbennett1288

CLE 5.56 Match Chamber
Bartlein 18.1" 1:7.7" twist four groove with intermediate gas length, and gas port in between lands
A slightly thicker than SPR contour with 0.875" between chamber and gas block, 0.740" to the muzzle with 5/8-24 threads
It is bedded with Loctite 620.

Vltor MUR-1A upper
BCM KMR 15" rail
BCM BCG and 3x3 ambidextrous CH
BCM low profile 0.750" gas block
CLE gas tube

BCM lower
Geissele SSA-E
Tubb's flat wire spring
H2 buffer
Magpul PRS gen 3

Nightforce 4-16x42 F1 with Mil-C in a Spuhr 4016

Berger 77 OTM
Varget 23.5 grains
Lapua brass
CCI BR-4
2.250"
The first 20 rounds unsuppressed chrono'd 2,633 fps with an ES of 28 and a SD of 8.

Solid build!

Just FYI, The CLE Match Chamber with the 1-7.7 twist loves the 77grn SMK.

View attachment 7682520

View attachment 7682522

View attachment 7682527
Making me want to shoot my CLE 556 tomorrow. I have enough "work" to do at the range in the morning already with the bolt gun..... so thanks!!! ;)

What kind of load did you shoot? I have a great load for my bolt gun with some TAC which I have a lot of but I'm a little iffy about running it in my ar. Guess I need to figure that out and do some test loads huh?

i love cle. except i prefer krieger barrels. not that it makes a shit. i had them do a 260 rem on an armalite ar10 b series platform and i can’t praise it enough. i compete against custom 6mm turbo 40 imp rifles and the like in gas gun classes and compass lake has allowed me to beat out better shooters. with good hand loads it makes me look good. cle work speaks for its self

Reactions: bfoosh006
I have a cle rifle with the Douglas barrel and it shoots the 77 smks and otms well but loves 69 smks. What stock is that? I need something different on mine.
You might hold out for the LtWt PRS... it is about a pound lighter. And not as fancy, but still functional.
FWIW... many of us are patiently waiting for its release.

You might hold out for the LtWt PRS... it is about a pound lighter. And not as fancy, but still functional.
FWIW... many of us are patiently waiting for its release.
I gave up on the PRS Lite and grabbed the PRS. I do want to try one once released. The LOP on the PRS is bottomed out, and I'm not a short guy. Plus, I like the adjustments on the PRS Lite being not as easy for your buddies to dick with at the range.

Reactions: bfoosh006