• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

cleaning a 22lr do or dont

Re: cleaning a 22lr do or dont

I run a dry patch after every range trip. Once every half a case or so, I will use a brush to apply solvent, then run some wet patches, then dry patches until they come clean.

I am reducing my frequency of dry patches to every other trip now... accuracy seems to peak after about half a box and goes for a couple of trips. I usually shoot about a box or two per trip.

I have heard about people attaching a bead to a weed-eater string, cut a hole in the center of a patch, slide the patch down the string, and pull it through.

I use a Dewey rod myself, but then I run the risk of doing something to the crown or chamber. I definitely use a bore guide in the breech and am very careful.

I wish I could stay w/out cleaning my firearms, because 22LR ones would really need it.
So yeah, I do clean my 22LR firearms, and yes, it takes a good amount of ammo (10-30 depending on the gun) to get them back in shape.

I clean mine after each outing, which works out to be anywhere from 50 to 200 shots. The bore does not get the brush until at - or a little after 500 shots, but it does get a cleaning patch and a couple dry patches ran through it after each outing.

The breech face, bolt, magazine feed ramp, always receive a cleaning, while the internal trigger housing gets wiped out with q-tips and pipe cleaners.

I use a soft tooth-brush to brush the mouth of the magazines I used - then I wipe them with a clean paper towel.

I know folks that neglect to clean their .22's and end up scratching their head over failure to eject, failure to feed, or failure to fire issues.

After their rifle is made safe where they can leave the firing line, they are given the option of throwing a few dollars into the "community" cleaning kit (to help replenish it) so they can clean their firearm,,, or they can pack it in for the day. You'd be surprised how many haven't a clue as to where to begin and take advantage of getting a lesson on firearm maintenance.

Myself or someone else will walk them through firearm maintenance and they're back in the shooting game in no time. They also hardly ever experience another problem as a result of poor firearm maintenance.

IMHO, learning what your firearm's limits of function is,,, is just as important as learning good safety and marksmanship skills.

Knowing that your firearm will function correctly is a whole lot more rewarding then "hoping" it will function correctly.

Sorry for such a long winded post.

I clean my 10/22 when the action starts to act up. The others, seldom if ever.

My Brother appropriated my Savage-Anschutz .22LR single shot while I was away in' Nam in '66-'67. Never gave it back. Ten years ago his house burned down. The stock was destroyed, a key internal part got misplaced, and the outer finish looks like some sort of Viking artifact dug up from the Dark Ages.

Incidentally, it went through all this with a 'filthy' bore. As a lark, my buddy cleaned the bore. Came up looking like a mirror. I seriously doubt you could find a more appropriate testimonial.

Far from being deleterious, the bore lube makes an excellent bore preservative.

Greg

If you're into plinking, don't worry too much about cleaning. Just keep basic maintenance and she'll run longer than you will. If you're talking match or bench, that's another story.

You will get leading of the bore, and it'll deposit in a hard way. A brush won't remove it. Trust me. Accuracy is impeded by the lead deposits. A trained eye can pick out the deposits. You need to look closely. If you HAVE that trained eye and you KNOW you've removed it, then I'll grant you you've got no lead. If you don't have that trained eye, you use regular solvent and a brush, I'll bet my paycheck you've got lead deposits, and they're hurting your accuracy.

So, how fix it? Well, I'll give away part of my secret. One technique is JB bore compound. Don't worry, it won't hurt your bore. Follow the directions, and really STUDY your bore. Have a look at the area right around the bore/groove interface (at the 90 degree angles). See if you can determine any rounding or discoloration. That discoloration is lead. A strong light from the muzzle side may assist in finding the deposits. Get to work in the specific areas of that discoloration with the JB. Scrub with a tight patch in that local area. After a while, clean her out again with solvent and see if you've improved the situation. Repeat until perfect.

NOW, you've got to season the bore. 30 shots should do it. Just pour them out the tube in rapid sucession. If you're aiming, you'll note an initial group that's pretty tight out of that fresh bore. Soon, you'll note everything going haywire. Keep shooting. Eventually, everything will calm down and you'll start shooting really tight groups. Then, your bore is seasoned.

Bore dependent, a trained eye will note leading at about 500 rounds. There's more tricks, but I'm leaving those in my melon for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're into plinking, don't worry too much about cleaning. Just keep basic maintenance and she'll run longer than you will. If you're talking match or bench, that's another story.

You will get leading of the bore, and it'll deposit in a hard way. A brush won't remove it. Trust me. Accuracy is impeded by the lead deposits. A trained eye can pick out the deposits. You need to look closely. If you HAVE that trained eye and you KNOW you've removed it, then I'll grant you you've got no lead. If you don't have that trained eye, you use regular solvent and a brush, I'll bet my paycheck you've got lead deposits, and they're hurting your accuracy.

So, how fix it? Well, I'll give away part of my secret. One technique is JB bore compound. Don't worry, it won't hurt your bore. Follow the directions, and really STUDY your bore. Have a look at the area right around the bore/groove interface (at the 90 degree angles). See if you can determine any rounding or discoloration. That discoloration is lead. A strong light from the muzzle side may assist in finding the deposits. Get to work in the specific areas of that discoloration with the JB. Scrub with a tight patch in that local area. After a while, clean her out again with solvent and see if you've improved the situation. Repeat until perfect.

NOW, you've got to season the bore. 30 shots should do it. Just pour them out the tube in rapid sucession. If you're aiming, you'll note an initial group that's pretty tight out of that fresh bore. Soon, you'll note everything going haywire. Keep shooting. Eventually, everything will calm down and you'll start shooting really tight groups. Then, your bore is seasoned.

Bore dependent, a trained eye will note leading at about 500 rounds. There's more tricks, <span style="font-weight: bold">but I'm leaving those in my melon for now. </span> </div></div>

come on man, let the melon share...........!!!

Keith

Generally no I don't. I will boresnake if I have to change ammo which is very rare. Other than that, wipe the bolt and bore and the crown, put it back in the safe until next time. Haven't noticed a change in accuracy in over 1.5 bricks of ammo but I'm not shooting serious matches either. CZ452 Varmint.

Bore Snakes get dirty and can damage the bbl. I use clean patches only, pulled through with a length of weed whacker cord with a melted blob on one end to hold the patch and sharpened on the other end to allow it to puncture the patch. Clean my Cooper every time it is shot and it will still put five shots into 1/2 inch at 100 yds if there is no wind. Figure this method can do no harm and it does seem to group better when clean with groups opening up a bit after 100 rounds or so but that could be shooter fatigue. I use Shooters Choice only.

I use a thick nylon string from a weedeater fold it in have and run both ends through the barrel, when the loop gets small I run a dry patch several times, than run a clean patch with oil a couple of times than a dry patch again. I use the oil to keep it from getting rust on the inside of the barrel. I do clean the bolt and receiver regularly as well as the magazines. Helps in preventing jams.

I don't clean mine because of that 10000 round rule that Annie throws out their. I will how ever take a 22cal bore mop bend it at 90* and clean the chamber. I shot a few 22 comps and no one that I know cleans the barrel. If shooting 22s is your lively hood then that’s a different story. I don’t try to set any records. I just push my self to shoot better than I did last time. If I win well that’s just a bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't clean mine because of that 10000 round rule that Annie throws out their. I will how ever take a 22cal bore mop bend it at 90* and clean the chamber. I shot a few 22 comps and no one that I know cleans the barrel. If shooting 22s is your lively hood then that’s a different story. I don’t try to set any records. I just push my self to shoot better than I did last time. If I win well that’s just a bonus. </div></div>

10,000 round rule? What's this?

Thanks,

Josh <><

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't clean mine because of that 10000 round rule that Annie throws out their. I will how ever take a 22cal bore mop bend it at 90* and clean the chamber. I shot a few 22 comps and no one that I know cleans the barrel. If shooting 22s is your lively hood then that’s a different story. I don’t try to set any records. I just push my self to shoot better than I did last time. If I win well that’s just a bonus. </div></div>

10,000 round rule? What's this?

Thanks,

Josh <>< </div></div>

clean a .22 after 10K rounds

I usually run a bore snake through mine with a little #9 and some rust prevent on it after a range session only because I never know when I'll take it back out. On a semi-auto I'll clean the action/bolt fairly frequently.

I personally have heard the whole "bore snakes drag stuff through the barrel and while probably true, I don't buy that it's hurting anything. First of all you aren't dragging anything through that was not already there, and second there's little to no pressure on the bore snake against the barrel except where the bristles are, so even if things are being dragged down (lead, copper), it's no where near what a single shot drags along the barrel. If it really scares you toss them in the washer (without the misses looking) every few uses. The biggest downside of the bore snake is if you have them break mid barrel, never had it happen but it would be super annoying.

I've come to the conclusion that unless you are at the top of a shooting sport (and even then) most people are doing more damage cleaning than not so I'm striving against how I started cleaning to clean less and shoot more instead of spending more time cleaning than shooting and I'm much happier for it.

For utterly absolute precision, lead deposits can degrade initial stellar accuracy fairly quicly.

For bore deposits I use Shooter's Choice Lead Remover solvent. It's very good but there's another area it doesn't address.

.22LR chambers accumulate a ring of lead in the forward part of the chamber. This can be removed by chasing it out (gently) with manually turned chamber reamer, which cuts out the lead and restores the chamber to its original spec <span style="font-style: italic">without actually altering the chamber if you do it right</span>.

I no longer do this because my shooting activities do not demand such accuracy standards anymore. The only rifle which received this treatment is my 10/22 with a Kimber Match Barrel. I would remove the barrel to perform this maintenance step.

It's a pain, it's needed way too frequently, and I would get the sweats just worrying about whether I was altering the underlying chamber dimensions.

I learned the process from a Rimfire BR smith.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Anschutz MPR 64. The instructions from Anschutz states clean after 10,000 rounds! I figure they know more than I so that's what I'm going with.</div></div>

The instructions on my Annie 1710 said to clean after every range trip. Incidentally, I don't. I probably clean every 200 or so rounds. I use a Dewey brass rod, Hoppies 9, and a bore guide. Sometimes I run a brush through. For this I use my Otis kit so I don't scrape aluminum from the bore guide into the bore.

I gotta admit I don't really know what to do now. I'll probably keep doing what I am doing.

When i seen the 10,000 rounds post i was in the WTF did you say!
So i went to their manuals. the post was not far off. It says to clean every 1000 rounds after you get past 10.000 rounds.
but after every trip to the range to run a patch down the bore and then oil the bore. Making sure to remove the oil before shooting again.
I did not go over eacn one, but if you look the info is there.
http://www.shooterscatalogue.com/manuals/
my bolt on the 52d is a bit of a pain to get in and out so will try the 1000 rounds and see how it goes, myself.

Our club just had the small bore shoot. 800 pts. 40 rounds at 50 yards and 40 at 100 yards. I had to help run the line and did not get to shoot the 50 but did the 100 for fun. droped 7 points on the first 20 rounds. 10 rounds each at 2 targets and then di d it again. I droped 7 on the first and about the same on the second, not my best day, wind got a few and i put 2 in th e8 ring one i called the other i just lost. i fired cold so it seams like the rifle fired good. i did not clean it, and i will try it again. so now i have about 300 rounds tru it with out cleaning..