• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Cleaning supplies for the big gun.........

Marinevet1

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    I inherited an unfired AI AX50..........plus a little over 800 rounds of BMG ammo, and it's time to shoot it.

I bought a AI bore guide, but there are so many rods, jags, etc........out there.........what is the best.....what do you guys use.............buy once, cry once.............thanks in advance.

Reactions: BCX
    Well, according to his profile, I graduated from high school the year he was in the second grade, so there is that.
    You just don't get it, do you? Forget I said anything if it makes you that butt hurt for someone to offer you genuine congratulations on what was a really cool thing happening for you.

I don't know who put my birthday in my profile, but it wasn't me and it isn't correct. I don't put personal info in my profile. "Jan 1" should be a clue.

ETA - Maybe go back and watch Smokey And The Bandit again and you'll understand the reference in my post.

Last edited:
    Reactions: XP1K and Taylorbok
    anyway i like boretech rods, iosso brushes (shame I never found a 375 one but they have 50) cleaning pellets, and quality patches (various sources). I find the larger bores are actually easier to clean (once you get a good rod). PMA tool makes excellent bore guides but each one for a heavy is a custom order, i can probably get one for my bernard but I never asked

anyway i like boretech rods, iosso brushes (shame I never found a 375 one but they have 50) cleaning pellets, and quality patches (various sources). I find the larger bores are actually easier to clean (once you get a good rod). PMA tool makes excellent bore guides but each one for a heavy is a custom order, i can probably get one for my bernard but I never asked
    Thanks for the response, that is the type of information I am looking for...........

You’re not from the South, are you?
    “Son” is a term of endearment (like “Bro” up North) and in this case was meant as congratulations on a great score. Think Bandit talking to Snowman on the CB.

If that bugs you…
    No, I'm not from the south.............this weapon, and a dozen NFA items are in my possession because someone put a gun in their mouth.............so fuck you........

It's amazing that people on this form will talk shit, and make fun of someone that only want's an opinion.............this isn't the pit.......

The gun I was asking about belonged to my brother...........for some reason he decided his life was no longer worth living.................
    So fuck all of you that thinks this is worth joking about..........

I hope that none of you have to go thru the time that your Brother, Sister, Mother, or
    Father decides that ending their life is the solution..........

And thanks for the opinions that I wanted..........

I use Montana extreme copper killer. High ammonia content. Eats copper and brass fast. I don't use a jag, I simply buy those stainless steel 50 cal brushes, and I wrap a 3" shotgun cleaning patch around the brush. My cleaning rod is simply a 3/8 stainless steel rod, I drill and tap a 8-32 hole in each end, a couple of 3/8 shaft lock collars and about a 5" long piece of derlin drilled through for a handle on the cleaning rod.... Now when I make them, I put a 8-32 thread in each end. That way if you break a brush thread off, the other end will work too, a backup plan. A stainless rod and brush give no false indication of bore fowling, they don't color the patch like a brass or copper brush or jag will. They're also great for bashing cases loose when needed. Good old printing press 28% ammonium hydroxide can be bought by the gallon, that's a sure way to clean bores and sinuses too.