• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Clear coat over Krylon

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone has applied Brownell's Aluma-hyde II matte clear coat over a Krylon Camo paint job before, and the result?

If not, what did you use for clear protective coat over Krylon?

Thanks.

Re: Clear coat over Krylon

I have used allumahyde as my primary coating and it did well. as far as a clear coat I justed used a matte clear coat spray paint.

Key to alumahyde is prepping your metal. I rought it up with steel wool and use acetone to clean it after. Once applied I use a heat gun on the metal then let it set for 30 minutes and again use the heat gun. I let my metal sit for 7 days before moving it.

Just plain matte clear from a spray can will work fine over Krylon... If you decide to use regular clear and buff it, stay away from automotive clear ( Duplacolor ), because it sometimes
"lifts" Krylon!

Great! I just read somewhere that a specific brand of matte clear worked "better" over the Krylon without adversely affecting it somehow; is there a difference between using Acrylic-based vs. oil-based clear coat over Krylon?

I'll probably just use Krylon's own matte clear over the Krylon.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm clear coating over krylon right now!

Just a matte clear works great. </div></div>

Great! If you don't mind could you show a few pics after you're done? Thanks!

As long as you clear with an enamel based clear over enamel color you will be fine. If you go over enamel with a lacquer based clear it will crinkle the finish and ruin your paint job.
Several light coats works best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm clear coating over krylon right now!

Just a matte clear works great. </div></div>

Great! If you don't mind could you show a few pics after you're done? Thanks! </div></div>

I am workin on it as fast as I can! Both rifles are to be shot tomorrow AM. it will be the same as the paint job I did on my .223 build in my sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as you clear with an enamel based clear over enamel color you will be fine. If you go over enamel with a lacquer based clear it will crinkle the finish and ruin your paint job.
Several light coats works best. </div></div>

Please excuse my ignorance, but is Krylon Camo with Fusion enamel based or lacquer based?

on a related note, ive used a few non matte color krylons and covered with matte clear coat with good results for colors that arent made with camo in mind. got a pretty good match for fall leaves last spray job that way.
for those who have used aluma hyde, what kind of durability can be expected? is it on par with duracoat?

Here they are, this is my HS stock from my Savage 10, also there are pics of my other stocks and their respective paintjobs, all done with the same process, Krylon and matte clear cote.

DSCF5325.jpg

DSCF5367-1.jpg

DSCF5342.jpg

I have used the AH II over Krylon with outstanding results. It's tougher (epoxy based) than regular clear poly and holds up rather well. You can get similiar results with matte/satin clear poly.

Here's a few for you to look over.....

Matte clear AH II over Krylon

100_0633.jpg

Satin poly over Krylon

100_0722.jpg

Satin poly over Krylon

100_0626.jpg

You get the idea, regardless which you use, you'll get a dull sheen. A fine Scotch-Brite pad or some 0000 steel wool will dull her out. Use very light pressure and take your time.

Great advice. Thanks.

I have Krylon Khaki pretty well figured out (what color it is), but the color swatch for "Sand" seemed pretty orange on the Krylon website. Has anyone used Krylon "Sand" and have a pic of it?

Da-Law-Dawg, in your first pic, it seems like some of the colors you used on the stock are not colors in the Krylon Camo series, correct? I take it any of their colors could be used, as long as you protect it with clear coat after?

Just ordered the Krylon today (Black, Brown, Khaki, Sand, Olive, and clear), and also got the metal prepped (sanded) on my Howa action... Can't wait until the paint show up!