• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cloud defense OWL weapon light

tiger49931

Tiger49931
Supporter
Minuteman
Legend
Jul 15, 2019
Houghton mi
www.906tactical.com
so as the thread post says Cloud defense OWL weapon light is it worth the money ? $389 or anyone have a bad experience with them ? Their site says great warranty but i wanna know people real world experience with them before dropping 400 on a flashlight.

I tested one and didn’t like it. The reach was uncomfortable but it might not be a problem for someone with bigger hands.

I needed a wrench to open the battery cap which didn't impress me. I wanted to like it, but...

Last edited:
Why buy one when you can get a Surefire/Modlite/Arisaka with a tape switch for the same price? The listed lights give you more mounting options and locations. The Cloud Defense light, while I’m sure is a good, simpler solution for a top rail mounted light, seriously lacks versatility.

For example, my SF M600DF is mounted at the end of a 15” handguard with an attached tape switch. Because I have a tape switch, I am able to position the switch on the rail that is most ergonomic for me, which is a few inches behind the light. If I had the Cloud OWL, I would have to crane my arm and break a solid position to activate the light.

So for the same price, I would definitely look at a Surefire style light plus tape switch.

Reactions: Frank_Castle
Cloud Defensive plans a Blem sale on the 26th. See their instagram for details. Its for Blems $259.00 . At that price its worth a nick or two.

I have a one. I liked the concept of it being one unit. Its modularity is a bonus. I think it really shines on smaller platforms that may have a hard time with space and wires. Probably why their CORE rails are only for shorter AR's but thats a guess.

Its a few ounces heavier than some if thats a concern.

I am happy with the OWL, its a nice design and well made. Its not on the platform I planned it for, but my smaller 300blk is found a home for it.

O-Light's new Odin is advertising its candela (usable light) is 22,500 vs 50,000 on the OWL. They are new to rifle lights but have no concern they didn't think this through before releasing them. Im very happy with their pistol light. I have one on the way for comparing.

Last edited:
Sorry- you're 100% correct. I memorized the wrong thing. Dam it. Thanks for noticing mistake.

Cloud Defensive OWL
50,000 candela and 1,250 lumens

Olight-Odin
22,500 candela and MAX 2,000 lumens (probably steps down quickly)

I have two of them and I like them very much. If you're not running a laser for NVG, I would recommend this lights. Also, if you're Mil, LEO or Vet they offer a discount on their site. Reduces the price to make it way more competitive against Surefire.

That should work. The pad is about the same hight as MBUIS. Did you grab a Blem today?

Mr. Gunsngear Odin review has a nice comparison of OWL/Surefire M600DF. It shows the differences in throw. OWL's tighter beam is spot on across the lake comparisons.

I would still vote for Surefire X-Series given you can move them between pistol and rifle with whatever switch options you want. The OWL is an interesting light though. I would have much preferred using Lux as a measurement of illumination as opposed to candela, but it’s not a huge deal. Weaponlights for me have always come down to mounting options and build quality. I’ve always run a Surefire X300 for the versatility but also built a few of my own using M600 bodies and selecting my own LED for shatever it was I was trying to accomplish (i.e. lots of spill or lots of throw, etc.). The biggest pain in the ass with doing that was having to bore out all of the battery tubes to accept 18650s which Surefire should have done 5 years ago. That is one of the things i like best about the OWL. I havent been in the game for a few years though so maybe Surefire is using 18650s also. I would like to see someone start using a light with circuitry that would allow for auxiliary lighting when you only need 5 lumens, but also have the ability to throw light 300 yards down range (maybe utilize some of the multi LED chips out there). Anyone know what LED the OWL uses? XPL maybe?