• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

CMP 40X + USO = A beautiful thing

AlabamaShooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
West Central Alabama: Tuscaloosa
Finally got out to sight in the 40X with its new glass.
DSC00764.jpg

Range report with Wolf Match ammo:
Distance - 100yds
Temp - 35 F
Wind - 3-4mph (swirling)

Shot several groups during the afternoon, this was my best 10 shot group of the day, considering the driver.
DSC00772.jpg

I think I will be keeping this combination for a while.
smile.gif

I hope the 40x's that you guys bought up all shoot as well as this one does, its fun as hell.

Re: CMP 40X + USO = A beautiful thing

Excellent combo, and Shooter! I shoot in 22 rf 50 yard bench rest matches and have a great appreciation for what it takes to deal with the wind at 50, let alone 100. Regards

Those are Seekins Precision rings, so I am assuming it's a Seekins base as well.

Damn I hope my 40x shoots that well.

My current .22LR is nowhere near as accurate as my 700 so it's hard to make myself shoot it instead of the 700. If my 40x shoots that tight, then it will be easy to burn some Wolf through it.

Thanks Pinmaster,
The base and rings are indeed Seekin Precision, and they are great pieces of hardware,

Grand,

I kept the barrel at 28", I wanted to keep the front sight block in case I wanted to put a set of open sights on it in the future. As it sits I think this thing weighs as much as if not more than my .308 and I still need to hang a bipod off of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are Seekins Precision rings, so I am assuming it's a Seekins base as well.

My current .22LR is nowhere near as accurate as my 700 so it's hard to make myself shoot it instead of the 700. If my 40x shoots that tight, then it will be easy to burn some Wolf through it.</div></div>

So is everyone having good luck with Wolf .22lr ? I've been searching high and low for it and can't find it. Any leads for this stuff online ?

I'm jealous, I'd love to put USO glass on any of my rifles.

Oh, and those are some kick ass groups!! Good work!

Padron,
The only hiccup(its a minor one) with the set up is the front of the base hits the taper going into the ERGO objective because the ST-10 is a relatively short scope.
I have it as close as I could get it and left a little space in between the two. The eye relief is good for me and with a .22 you really dont have to worry about getting an eye piece to the brow or bridge of the nose.
smile.gif

Wow! great looking setup! Nice shooting as well.

Now to hijack, sorry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are Seekins Precision rings, so I am assuming it's a Seekins base as well.

My current .22LR is nowhere near as accurate as my 700 so it's hard to make myself shoot it instead of the 700. If my 40x shoots that tight, then it will be easy to burn some Wolf through it.</div></div>

Do you feel that it needs to be as accurate as your 700 for training purposes? I have never felt that way. The way I look at it once you find the limit of your trainer you know where to benchmark yourself for shooting it. If say you have a 1MOA trainer then you can easily tell when when you are screwing up because your are shooting outside of your guns know limit. I know we all like to see tiny groups, but is that really what we need to focus on when train for "tactical" or hunting application of our CF rifles. Don't get me wrong I'd be horny as hell with a setup like above, but in my mind a .5MOA trainer would not make me any better shooter than a 1MOA trainer. Its all about consistency, if your guns got that you should be all set.
Am I the only one that sees it this way? Hijack over

Does it really need to be? Probably not, but look at it this way. When I am shooting my .308 if I really blow a shot at 100 yards it's not more than 1" from the center of the target. So if I am shooting a .22LR that is a 1.5-2 MOA rifle at 100 yards then it gets easier to blame blown shots on the rig. I can tell 99% of the time when I gank the shot, but a rifle that shoots like a laser keeps me honest.

Consistency isn't key. Consistent ACCURACY is. A rifle that consistently shoots 2 MOA will not aid you in becoming a 1/2 MOA shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Consistency isn't key. Consistent ACCURACY is. A rifle that consistently shoots 2 MOA will not aid you in becoming a 1/2 MOA shooter.
</div></div>

I don't know if that's fair. A 2 MOA rifle with a 1/2 MOA shooter is 2 MOA all day long. A 2 MOA rifle with 3 MOA shooter is a tolerance stack that would not have those results.