• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cold Bore Shots (pic)

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I'm from upstate NY so you can bet we're not exactly warm and cozy right now. These 10 round groups were made after the rifle had been sitting for about 5 minutes before each one. Is there any way to compensate for this myself just by looking where the shot goes, or should I just pop off a round before I start on my groups?

DSC01055.jpg

Re: Cold Bore Shots (pic)

Cold weather really has some bad effects on rimfire. They think that the wax on the bullets might be part of the problem. Check out over on rimfirecentral.com. There was just a big long chat on cold weather shooting. Seems like some ammo works better in the cold weather.

The only part I have modified is the trigger. I've got a nice light Rifle Basix trigger on it. Other than that just all the bolt ons. I've looked at having the action bedded, but I still want to be able to remove my stock if some parts need work, cleaning, etc. I usually put them all inside the inner circle.

I'll check out rimfirecentral. I've gotta get my learn on about cold weather shooting, as this is my first year I'm starting to shoot through winter too.

Just for fun, You can try to dry fire couple of shots before taking first live one.
Perhaps its not bore that needs warm-up
wink.gif

this seems to be normal for .22lr. we most always shoot several fowlers to put some heat in the barrel, and coat it with the wax from that type of ammo. Some think a threaded barrel helps havnt tryed one so dont know. just shoot some sighters then a group.

ammo used? I have found the slippery oil-like lub of Wolf _____ Extra is less susceptable to the cold than other waxy lubes of other makes. Course though most of my winter "extreme cold" shooting is done from indoors and I keep the ammo in its divided box in the front pass thru pocket of my sweatshirt. YMMV

Hey SmallBoreSniper I'm from WNY got a little Lake Effect yesterday. I learned this trick from a benchrest shooter. I have this thing for squeaky clean barrels (and shiny brass) but didn't like the idea of having a flier on my first shot with my hunting rigs. The BR shooter told me to clean my barrel then run a patch soaked in Lock-Ease by a company called AGS. Its the liquid not the aroesol. Its a liquid with graphite in it and protects the bore from rust and leaves a dry graphite film inside the barrel. Because of the graphite film your first shot is like shooting from a fouled barrel. It works great on my hunting rigs no worries about a flier with a clean bore. You can buy it at ACE Hardware stores or Google it on the net. It also works great on your car door locks in frozen upstate NY!
Mike

I normally fire a few sighter shots at a gong then go to work on my target (whatever that may be) paper or gong? I figure I shoot more in better weather months (Spring through Fall) then I do in the Winter, so I just live with the fouling shots during the cold weather outings. This is just me however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poles93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey SmallBoreSniper I'm from WNY got a little Lake Effect yesterday. I learned this trick from a benchrest shooter. I have this thing for squeaky clean barrels (and shiny brass) but didn't like the idea of having a flier on my first shot with my hunting rigs. The BR shooter told me to clean my barrel then run a patch soaked in Lock-Ease by a company called AGS. Its the liquid not the aroesol. Its a liquid with graphite in it and protects the bore from rust and leaves a dry graphite film inside the barrel. Because of the graphite film your first shot is like shooting from a fouled barrel. It works great on my hunting rigs no worries about a flier with a clean bore. You can buy it at ACE Hardware stores or Google it on the net. It also works great on your car door locks in frozen upstate NY!
Mike </div></div>

Huh. That's pretty sweet. I'll definitely check that out. Sounds good for the bore anyway.

For all, I am firing the rifle in my sig using Winchester V-Max 17 grain ammo.

had the same thing today doing the comps, the lowest being my cold bore, then the 5 above being my first mag.

i usually have my dope set on 3 cards, summer @ 85deg., winter @ 35deg., and fall/spring at 65deg. as just like centerfires, temp and humidity places a huge difference of POI.

just no dope at 9deg., as it was my way this morning. looks like just under a 1.25" poi change! after those 5 i made the adjustment and was gtg.
SHLRANGE100YD22LR.jpg

i was thinking of doing a rimfire coldbore post, with pics in the future, but thanks for putting it up now. with our recent cold snap, it appears the best time to get er done.

i'm thinkin' you could throw a couple foulers / warmers off to the side of the object target as far as paper goes.

looks like you CB shot is pretty consistant, so if hunting or on the first shot of every paper target, mark in the data book that you have to compensate that distance, to make the 1st shot hit where you aim.

i had a ruger .300 win mag that was like that but it was 2" high and 1" left on the first shot. the rest were together.

Yeah, like you said, I've just been firing off a couple shots into nowhere. Either that or I'll pick out a spot on someone else's target that they left there. The reason being is that so far there isn't a pattern with my cold bore shots as far as where they hit. The wife and I are moving to Florida on 2/28 so then I won't have to deal with it anyway lol.

haha thanks man! Yeah it'll be a bit busy but it won't stop me from competing. I can't really go too long without shooting. I'll be joining a club within a week that we're down there lol.

We shoot indoors summer and winter , and after you shoot a few sighters you put your rifle in the gun rack. When it comes your turn, you fire three shells(which they furnish) at three bulls eyes from a cold barrel. Knowing where your first cold shot prints , and you have a leg up on the competition. It usually takes at least a 30 2x to win. We shoot at 75 feet. One other thing we shoot Wolfe target of the same lot in practice that is used in the matches. Just another twist in the game. 45/70SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

looks like you CB shot is pretty consistant, so if hunting or on the first shot of every paper target, mark in the data book that you have to compensate that distance, to make the 1st shot hit where you aim.

</div></div>i was going to say the same thing. it looks like they are both low and to the right, go out and take you time let the barrel cool so that they are all cold bore and see if its not the lack of fouling that is changing POI. (that is if you clean after every range session)