Colt AR- Best loads for a 223 1/7 twist 16"

Re: Colt AR- Best loads for a 223 1/7 twist 16"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexBone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I needed some help with loads for a 1/7 twist 16" 223 Colt AR... </div></div>

If it's a defensive weapon, 69gr/77gr SMKs and 75gr Hornady HPBT can be loaded magsafe and still give you some target grade quality. Any of the really long high BC bullets, ah-la 75gr/80gr AMAX, 80gr/90gr SMKs, Bergers et al. need to be single fed when used for target shooting, but then your 16" tube won't get them up to speed for those really long 600+ yd shots that they're intended for, so we come full circle.

Go get the 68 Noslers, 68/75 Hornadys and/or the 69/77 SMKs and see which bullet your rifle likes best. They can all be loaded to mag length and all are well made bullets and fly pretty well as a rule.

I have a Bushy 1:7" 20" Gov. profile that I got for a steal on their Tax Day sale a couple of years back and I've loaded 80gr/90gr SMKs, 80gr/75gr AMAX, 80gr Noslers, 77gr Noslers and I've fiddled with them a bit, but I don't shoot 1000yds and I'm not going to destroy my brass in one firing, so what's the point? The Middies work pretty well if you want to fling them out past normal AR carbine distances.

Chris