• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Colt FBI HRT build

KaRwithaScar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2019
Looking to do as close of a clone to the FBI HRT M4 build.
Im lucky enough to have a Colt lower that can be used on a Pistol as it was not issued as a "rifle".
Along with that I have a Colt 11.5" HRT heavy barrel, I have the Geissele Federal rail issued for the FBI, Colt standard m4 upper receiver and bcg. I still need to take off the current triangle gas block and choose a low profile gas block....any suggestions on what to use???
Also, Im looking to do an aimpoint red dot as I believe that is what they used on there general build....any info on that is appreciated as well

not to steer you away from this forum but AR15.com typically does a good job at documenting clone AR stuff. I know there is a thread dedicated to the HRT...probably can give you the brand and part number of everything down to a roll pin.

Sounds like you have the hardest most expensive part to get which is the rail.

little correction...none of the HRT crap is hard to source yet.

not to steer you away from this forum but AR15.com typically does a good job at documenting clone AR stuff. I know there is a thread dedicated to the HRT...probably can give you the brand and part number of everything down to a roll pin.

Yes, it seems the rails are hard to find now. A few months ago they were available in various colors. I lucked out getting a brand new black one on gunbroker for 260.00 free shipping a couple months ago.

The actual original HRT barrels from the FBI over run are very hard to find unless you spend 500.00 from charlies custom clones right now.

I should say thanks for the advice on the forum ar15.com ....Ill look into it. This is the first forum Ive ever been on so Im still learning the ropes on forums but definitely a good resource. A friend of mine uses this forum so thats why I first decided to try this one out. Thanks

The actual original HRT barrels from the FBI over run are very hard to find unless you spend 500.00 from charlies custom clones right now.

I should say thanks for the advice on the forum ar15.com ....Ill look into it. This is the first forum Ive ever been on so Im still learning the ropes on forums but definitely a good resource. A friend of mine uses this forum so thats why I first decided to try this one out. Thanks

Yup, not saying you can go pull the parts off the shelf...but in terms of cloning expectations its probably one of the easier ones to currently do.

No problem. Just know they have a rap for being a bit nutty for a reason. This forum and its people is hands down better but its focus is not the AR.

MtqlyYL.jpg

Right I agree. Ill probably find more help on here when I pursue my long range rifle build. I have the basic stuff to begin 2 bolt action rifles. I just keep getting distracted from those rifles by spending money on other opportunities that keep putting them self in front of me. lol....like this Colt AR pistol lower HRT barrel build I had to buy....now trying to finish it the way I want.

I appreciate the info. I don't overly care as I think that other build was utilized about the best in most things. Where does your info come from though?

Agreed with lord of war619, the Geiselle block is the one you want. I have a sort of clone of the older HRT/SWAT with the 9" Troy Alpha rail... It just happened to turn out like the older HRT rig by accident. My barrel isn't Colt it's an Expo Arms chrome lined 11.5", 1:7, 5.56 chamber.

Mine has a shaved down A2 fsb pinned. I like to have a pinned GB if it's gonna get beat on and tossed around. I really like the Geiselle GB it's easy to pin also, compared to an A2 fsb anyways...

FBI Tactical Section is using Geissele gas blocks on all the AR's. There are four different FBI hand guards:

FBI SWAT: Green
HRT: Brown/Tan
Tactical SOG: Grey
Regular Agent guns: Black

And, I think this "heavy barrel" is an idea someone came up with to sell barrels....

Reactions: camocorvette
FBI Tactical Section is using Geissele gas blocks on all the AR's. There are four different FBI hand guards:

FBI SWAT: Green
HRT: Brown/Tan
Tactical SOG: Grey
Regular Agent guns: Black

And, I think this "heavy barrel" is an idea someone came up with to sell barrels....

I've heard the same thing from an acquaintance who would know. They aren't HRT but they do work with them from time to time. He's a gun guy and we were talking about them at the range when I had my 11.5" rig there.

He said of the rifles he's seen they had standard profile barrels. You could see them pretty easily through the Geiselle handguards he said...

Reactions: Skunk
Along with that I have a Colt 11.5" HRT heavy barrel,

The HRT barrel is not a heavy barrel. It's a medium-contour barrel. It's basically an 11.5" version of the SOCOM barrel, without the M203 cut-outs. The HRT barrel weighs 1 pound 9.3 ounces and the SOCOM barrel weighs 1 pound, 14 ounces.

colt_fbi_commando_11_5_barrel_02-1338225.jpg

stripped_socom_barrel_02_resized-1338435.jpg

This is what a Colt heavy barrel looks like . . .

colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1338222.jpg

The HRT barrel is not a heavy barrel. It's a medium-contour barrel. It's basically an 11.5" version of the SOCOM barrel, without the M203 cut-outs. The HRT barrel weighs 1 pound 9.3 ounces and the SOCOM barrel weighs 1 pound, 14 ounces.

colt_fbi_commando_11_5_barrel_02-1338225.jpg

stripped_socom_barrel_02_resized-1338435.jpg

This is what a Colt heavy barrel looks like . . .

colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1338222.jpg

Thats what I was wondering, you could cut down a SOCOM barrel and have the same thing essentially, no?

Thats what I was wondering, you could cut down a SOCOM barrel and have the same thing essentially, no?

You'd need to enlarge the gas port on the SOCOM barrel. I don't have the drawings in front of me for both barrels, so I don't know if the front M203 cut-out on the SOCOM barrel would be an issue.

You need to cut an M4 barrel to about 11.3” to clean up the notch, and .063 would work with hot ammo and warm temps but I don’t know beyond that. .070 would be larger than needed.

All the pictured barrels are heavier than the current FBI barrel.

The current sight is the Aimpoint Micro H-2 w/ 2moa dot.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote