• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Colt M4 Carbine sighting help

bookemdanno

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2009
On my Colt M4 Carbine I have a red/green dot sight mounted on the carry handle and a laser on the lower UTG quad rail. I have them both sighted in at about 60 feet. The problem is at close range they are off. The laser is on target but the red dot is off high. Would the red/green dot sight mounted on the carry handle be more accurate if I removed the handle and mounted it directly on the upper rail ? I would have to remove the front sight, but I still want a front sling mount. Thank you for any ideas.

Re: Colt M4 Carbine sighting help

Its called mechanical offset, the dot on top of the handle is more than 2" above the bore.

Ditch the cheapo red/green dot and use the irons, you'll have a better cheekweld.

By the way, fill out your profile.

+1Sobrbiker
So compensate for the offset when aiming at a close target. IE: If the difference of your poa and poi is 2" at say 5m, then at targets that are 5m you would aim 2" high on what you want to hit.

Violence of action is the key. At CQM ranges you want to get disabling rounds on target as quickly as possible. You are not trying to hit a 1" bulls-eye, but a bowling pin sized target.

Removable carry handle? Remove it. Use any of the smaller (front to back) rear sights and a red dot mounted at a height that co-witnesses with the irons. Some folks use a rear flip up to get it "out of the way" but it's still there if the dot fails.You only have one cheek weld to groove instead of having to decide which sight to use.

My own MK12 MOD 0 .22 has the proper PRI front flip up and ARMS BUIS in case the optic fails. I mean, you don't want a zombie squirrel crawling up your leg!