Confused and could use a little help on C-More red dots

texasrimfirenut

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2020
East Texas
Gang,

Looking to get a C-More I think for 22/45 pistol for steel challenge since I am too old and blind to see iron sights any more.

I have looked into many and it seems like the C-More with the round reticle gives one of the better sight pictures for that kind of shooting.

Seems that reticle only exist on the Slide Ride or Railway series.

I am guessing I would need the Railway series since my slide doesn't move and has a bolt on the 22/45. Would that be correct?

I am right so far, then the next choice is either polymer or aluminum body. I would assume the aluminum body would be better, correct?

So if I got everything correct so far, then I am down to 4 aluminum models, the ARWS, ARW, ATRWS, ATRW. This is where I get confused. Other than the word tactical for the "T" versions I can't tell these apart. Trying to figure out which one to get as there are none local for me to look at.

Lastly two other things to bring up. Should I look at any other reflex sights? And I was thinking an 8 MOA dot, sound about right?

Thanks for any help!

I don't know much about C mores and the round reticle. Do you mean the round hood on the sight?

I have a trijicon SRO. It has a round hood vs the square on the RMR. The SRO is a great red dot sight, and its very versatile. I've mounted it on 22 pistol and my AR pistol. I think you would like it a lot.

ALSO, you sure you want an 8 MOA Dot? That is gigantic, and if you are shooting for precision, the dot might be too big...covering smaller targets. Easier to pickup but not so good for precise aiming. I have a 3.25 on my RMR mounted on a glock 19. Its perfect for that gun. On my 22 pistol, which has an SRO, it has a 2.5 MOA Dot, which is great. I would even like to try the 1 MOA Dot for the the 22 to see if I like it.

Lastly, do you know if you have astigmatism? The degree to which you have it can affect how the red dot looks. I have astigmatism, so the red dots are exactly a crisp red dot. Its like a red dot with a bit of sparkle around it...Its not bad, and I'm ok with it. If your astigmatism is bad, it can be like looking at a red blur.
Red-Dot-Astigmatism.png

https://scopesfield.com/best-red-dot-sights-for-astigmatism/

The gun on the right has an SRO and the middle gun has an RMR.
50707461538_70942ef915_b.jpg

50720824043_8aac4455ff_b.jpg

Ignore the drop test and the full auto lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: texasrimfirenut
Gang,

Looking to get a C-More I think for 22/45 pistol for steel challenge since I am too old and blind to see iron sights any more.

I have looked into many and it seems like the C-More with the round reticle gives one of the better sight pictures for that kind of shooting.

Seems that reticle only exist on the Slide Ride or Railway series.

I am guessing I would need the Railway series since my slide doesn't move and has a bolt on the 22/45. Would that be correct?

I am right so far, then the next choice is either polymer or aluminum body. I would assume the aluminum body would be better, correct?

So if I got everything correct so far, then I am down to 4 aluminum models, the ARWS, ARW, ATRWS, ATRW. This is where I get confused. Other than the word tactical for the "T" versions I can't tell these apart. Trying to figure out which one to get as there are none local for me to look at.

Lastly two other things to bring up. Should I look at any other reflex sights? And I was thinking an 8 MOA dot, sound about right?

Thanks for any help!
Old-school C-mores:
Slide-ride has no mount included and is intended to mate with an adapter (more on this later).
Railway has a weaver/picatinny clamping mount attached and is intended to attach to your weaver/picatinny rail (if your 22/45 didn't come with one, I'll send you mine).
Railway Tactical has the weaver/picatinny clamping mount along with a plastic spacer that raises the sight window up to co-witness on ARs which would not be useful on your pistol.
There is a choice of plastic or aluminum construction and click- or non-click-adjustmnent brightness switch.

You can mount a slide-ride to your 22/45 using an adapter plate like this:
or this:

If you want to get the sight window closer to the bore, you can use a 90* mount like this:

My pick would be an aluminum slide-ride with non-click intensity adjustment on either the tandemkross or allchin mount.
There's also a multitude of mounts to which you can attach one of the smaller reddots to get away from the bulk of the C-more.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Well I just thought the old style cmore would give me better ability to see more around me as I am swinging from steel to steel in a quick fashion.

Maybe this isn't necessary or doesn't help as much as I thought it might.

kl3309 if you had your pick, what optic would you go with? Would you stick with an old school cmore or go with something different? Already have the suggestion for the RMR.

This is going on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 is that makes any difference.

Peahi2, thanks for your information. I don't think I have an astigmatism. I have to wear my readers to be able to see the irons and then everything else out from there is blurry. I just recently got a set of RX glasses to see distance better and when I wear those glasses and look through a red dot, its all pretty clear. Now if I wear the reader with the red dot, its badly fuzzy and doesn't work at all.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi, I am running C-More on both my rimfire steel challenge rifle (KIDD) and pistol (Volquartsen Black Mamba) and really like them. Did a tone of research before I bought them and went with the C-More RTS2B - V5 with a 8 MOA dot and the RTS2MT-200 mount. Since you are shooting steel, highly recommend the 8 MOA dot, it is the perfect size (not to big, not to small) for very fast transition between targets. They are amazing and I highly recommend them. Keith

Running CMores on two different 10/22’s. One for the kids, one set up for Steel Challenge...Allchin mounts for a clean install. A third unit on a PCC AR.

CMore gives a great, unobtrusive view. Easier to “find the dot” with a CMore than FastFire, Sig Romeo, et al style reflex units. Have a FastFire on a 22/45, if I shot Steel regularly would move to a Cmore on the 22/45.

Yeah I guess that was what I was trying to say in my original post. The C-More's seem to obstruct the view less than others I have seen.

So do the more modern c-mores like the RTS have a less obstructed view or is it only the older ones like the slide ride and railway versions?

I think that will pretty much answer my question. I'll go with the RTS version probably unless the slide ride version gives superior unobstructed view.

Thanks again, everyone, so much for all the help. I wouldn't have bothered so much if I could have went some where and seen these in person.

Disadvantage of old-school C-more is the increased offset from bore height. If you know your holds then no problem but you will have to verify your point of aim/point of impact at extreme close and extreme far ranges. And they're a pain to adjust for zero until you've done it a few times but they are proven in near thirty years of competition use.
I've gotten away from C-mores though I do still have one or two left. For rimfire pistol, I actually like the Aimpoint 9000SC. Being a tube sight doesn't really slow you down if you've got both eyes open.
Trijicon SROs go on my centerfire action pistols. If you go with a mini reddot, try and find an adapter plate that mounts directly to the 22/45 receiver. That'll save you the extra height versus a rail and clamp mount.

If you want one of the best red dots on the market you should take a serious look at the Leupold Delta Point Pro. I won't go into detail but if you are interested, investigate it. Here are a few photos showing what it looks like on my Ruger MK III 22/45. I normally use a TR-25 on the Ruger but had the DPP laying here waiting on a vz.58 pistol I have coming. American made.

IMG_20210309_024726.jpg
IMG_20210309_024839.jpg
IMG_20210309_024919.jpg
IMG_20210309_024817.jpg
IMG_20210309_024826.jpg

Others I would suggest looking at are the Ultra Dot lineup. American company, made in Japan.
1209181334.jpg
IMG_20200427_141143.jpg
1209181356.jpg

Another good one I really like and can recommend is the Noblex. Made in Germany.

IMG_20210309_031233.jpg
IMG_20210309_031244.jpg
IMG_20210309_031325.jpg
IMG_20210309_031339.jpg
IMG_20210309_031424.jpg

IMG_20210309_031257.jpg

There's a lot of other good ones out there. I'd highly recommend buying US made products and not that fucking China crap. I don't give a damn if it is a US company, if they are selling Chinese made optics I won't buy it. I will not support that economy. Eotech and Trijicon are also US made.

I've bought China shit in the past but since what has happened in the last two years they can kiss my ass and eat shit.