• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Correcting Headspace on a Rem 700

REM3O8

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hi All,

Im new to this forum and I need a bit of help..
I have recently got a new Remington 700 fluted varmint in a .308 win and took it out to the range.
After shooting a few factory FGMM ammo I check the once fired case with a headspace gauge so I adjust my FL die to where it needs to be.
To cut a long story short my once fired case measured 1.638 and I was told that was .005 too long and I had a headspace problem.

How can I get this corrected ?

Re: Correcting Headspace on a Rem 700

If your measuring the length of your case from neck to rim and your seeing an increase in overall length it does not mean your headspace it out of tolerance.

As stated, it means the case grew in length.

Think of brass like bread dough. As you kneed it, it increases its length/surface area. Brass behaves much the same way due to the extreme pressures involved during firing.

The way you check headspace is with a headspace gauge. You can buy them online through companies like Pacific Tool and Gauge in White City, Oregon or you can have a gunsmith check it for you.

Good luck.

C.

I was using a Headspace Gauge that measures’ the case from the datum point

“The gauge is calibrated to 1.630” which is the minimum headspace your rifle should be set to, ie the “ GO “ gauge. The maximum headspace your rifle should be set to is 1.634” ie the “ NO Go “ gauge. “

REM308,

I'm guessing your rifle was chambered a bit on the loose side.. The measurement from your brass equals what a field gauge would be..
You have to remember that a commercial rifle that has to shoot all kinds of commercial ammo can't have a minimum headspace chamber...

SAAMI headspace for a civilian/commercial .308 rifle.
GO - 1.6300
NO-GO - 1.6340
FIELD - 1.6380

Correct me if I'm wrong...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have someone pull the barrel and surface grind the lug to tighten up the headspace.
No need to replace the barrel.</div></div>

There you go!! I learned something too.

Why do anything... The rifle is in spec and you have brass fired for that chamber. Push the shoulder back .001 lock the die down and load ammo till you shoot the barrel out...

Don't overthink the plumbing looking for problem that isn't there... Go shoot it!!!

If you grind the recoil lug your barrel will screw in a little more, the lettering will be in a very different locatin and the bolt nose may bottom out in the barrel counterbore. Look before you leap. I'm not saying that this is not a good option, just that you gotta be careful.

All smithing of the gun aside, as is, with the gun within factory tolerance, what kind of groups are you getting out of it?
Unless money is no object, if the groups are acceptable, measure the chamber & distance to the lands & load for the rifle. A simple load development is much less expensive than paying someone to do the fix.

When one specifies grinding on the 'lug' you might want to be specific about the recoil lug and not the locking lug. The first will tighten headspace the latter will loosen it.

That said, this rifle is within field-go specs. Remington probably tries to get as close to that as possible because of the number of manufacturers out there. Especially for the .308. Maybe not so much for non-ordinary, but SAAMI approved calibers, i.e. .243, 6mm Rem, .260, .280. Common calibers that aren't loaded worldwide.

If you are worried about it, take it to a gunsmith, or send it back to Remington (via the dealer). Otherwise, load it to your hearts content if it's shooting well. You do need to keep a sharp eye out for the bottom of the case expanding so much it causes a groove just above the web. That groove would indicate incipient head separation. You don't want that.

FWIW, I have two 7x57's that have extreme differences in headspace. I have to keep those cases separate. Because I learned the hard way about incipient case head separation, I check all cases now just for that. I've found that all cases shooting out of ONE rifle, don't tend to have that problem, unless overloading them.

The SAAMI min the for a 308 chamber is 1.630".
The SAAMI max the for a 308 chamber is 1.640".

That is a .010" range.

I am too lazy to go measure my 308s tonight, but I have measured my factory 223s, and they are all over the .010" SAAMI range for the 223.

You still doing great with .004" off min, compared to the headspace mess dealing with belted magnums or 303 Brits.