Coup De Grâce 223 action experiences?

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
Anyone out there have at least a few hundred rounds on a 223 Coup De Grace action? What's your opinion on it? Any feeding, extraction, ejection, etc issues? Any odd quirks about it?

I have about 800 of .223 AI through mine.

The AI shoulder causes a slight “hitch” when loading it slow. Run the bolt like you mean it and it feeds great.

Use accurate .223 mags like suggested from ARC.

Mine is a 22” competition contour that I regularly shoot to 1000.

Reactions: gchellin and Ichi
I have about 800 of .223 AI through mine.

The AI shoulder causes a slight “hitch” when loading it slow. Run the bolt like you mean it and it feeds great.

Use accurate .223 mags like suggested from ARC.

Mine is a 22” competition contour that I regularly shoot to 1000.
Where is it catching to cause the hitch you're experiencing?

I have a 223AI CDG, currently in a KRG Bravo. I’m using the MDT magazines: https://mdttac.com/223/ both the metal one with the plastic insert, and the plastic one. In my experience, the key is tuning magazines to the action.

If you compare the plastic insert feed lips on the metal magazine extend further toward the front of the mag compared to the plastic mag. This causes the metal mag to hold on to the cartridge longer in the mag before allowing the cartridge to slide up the bolt face and align into the chamber. This is why the plastic mag is rated to feed 223AI and the metal/plastic mag is not (according to the notes on KRG’s website). I trimmed the metal/plastic mag’s feedlips back until they match the size/shape of the feedlips on the all plastic mag. I also trimmed the back edge of the magazine slightly to allow the magazine to seat deep enough into the bottom of the action to present the loaded rounds properly and engage the mag catch.

Both mags feed 223 and 223AI just fine now. 223 AI loaded with 88ELDMs seated out to 2.50” OAL.

I use the MDT plastic mags to feed 223AI into a Tikka (in a KRG Bravo as well). Feeds great. Heck, I’ve even got a hybrid magazine that allows me to magazine feed 20 VarTarg into a Tikka/KRG Bravo. Works fine. Accurate, too.

Last edited:
I have a 223AI CDG, currently in a KRG Bravo. I’m using the MDT magazines: https://mdttac.com/223/ both the metal one with the plastic insert, and the plastic one. In my experience, the key is tuning magazines to the action.

If you compare the plastic insert feed lips on the metal magazine extend further toward the front of the mag compared to the plastic mag. This causes the metal mag to hold on to the cartridge longer in the mag before allowing the cartridge to slide up the bolt face and align into the chamber. This is why the plastic mag is rated to feed 223AI and the metal/plastic mag is not (according to the notes on KRG’s website). I trimmed the metal/plastic mag’s feedlips back until they match the size/shape of the feedlips on the all plastic mag. I also trimmed the back edge of the magazine slightly to allow the magazine to seat deep enough into the bottom of the action to present the loaded rounds properly and engage the mag catch.

Both mags feed 223 and 223AI just fine now. 223 AI loaded with 88ELDMs seated out to 2.50” OAL.

I use the MDT plastic mags to feed 223AI into a Tikka (in a KRG Bravo as well). Feeds great. Heck, I’ve even got a hybrid magazine that allows me to magazine feed 20 VarTarg into a Tikka/KRG Bravo. Works fine. Accurate, too.
Hmmm. I am using the MDT metal/ plastic mags. Don’t know anyone with a full plastic mag. Wonder what it would do with those.

I don’t have feeding problems. It’s just not butter smooth when running it slow.

Just got my 223 action in and going to build a regular 223 Wylde. It's mainly going to be a trainer for PRS and if I get a wild hair to shoot TAC class I can. I already have a 6br and 25cm built on CDG actions and the AW mags fixed any and all feeding issues.

I'm hoping and praying Gray Ops builds a 223 and 308 case version of the Billet mags they have in 6br, yes they are worth every penny!

This is what I changed to the mags to allow them to function reliably in my ARC CDG.

IMG_8971.jpeg
IMG_8970.jpeg
IMG_8972.jpeg

IMG_8973.jpeg

Does this allow the round to come out and align more with the bore earlier?

Mine is coming in the chamber at a sharp and and dragging in the bullet.
Yes, by moving the front edge of the feed lips on the metal mag to the rear (by cutting them), the metal mag releases the round at the same time as the composite mag in the photo.

In the original configuration, the metal mag was holding onto the back end of the round too long, forcing the steep chamber entry angle to develop.

Reactions: Kadams1563
The plastic composite mag is rated for 223AI, the metal one was not. By modifying the mag lips as shown, the metal mag feeds 223AI just fine.

I had to modify the rear edge of the composite mag feed lips as shown in the photos. The rear edge was square, and the bolt body was snagging on the rear edge of the mag lips. By breaking that angle to a 45, the bolt rides over the mag much better.