Coup de Grace Builders

Since my local guy doesn't want to deal with a Coup de Grace, looking for recommended builders who are familiar with it.

F-Class style rifle, Long action 7PRCW or 284 Win/Shehane.

Over/under on someone recommending another action is 10 posts.
What you want “built”. You know it’s a prefit capable action. Get a barrel, torque it on, installing a trigger is easy, and pop it isn’t a chassis.

What part am I missing?

Reactions: Cody S and Dirty D
Mainly the stock + bedding. F-class stocks are kinda a PITA or so I am led to believe. I've learned: just pay someone to do it. I dunno maybe I will just do it myself.

If it was for PRS, I would just hack it together. But trying to push the limits here. (Maybe I should just suck it up and go get a F-class rifle)

Me and barrels--not friends in the torque dept (I have trouble with muzzle devices).

Forgot puttin in all the bottom metal and stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I would find a gunsmith that specializes in that discipline. I'm not sure who that would be, I don't dabble in that.

I believe @MikeMiller was once on the US national team for FT/R? I want to say some of his team rifles were built by GAP.

@memilanuk is one of the local F-class shooters here on the hide, he might have some thoughtful input as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRDS
I would find a gunsmith that specializes in that discipline. I'm not sure who that would be, I don't dabble in that.

I believe @MikeMiller was once on the US national team for FT/R? I want to say some of his team rifles were built by GAP.

@memilanuk is one of the local F-class shooters here on the hide, he might have some thoughtful input as well.
GAP is an excellent source for F TR Rifles. So is Al Warner

Reactions: DocRDS and kthomas
I dealt with some of the same 'stuff' for a long time with shooting Savage 12 FTRs - very few 'smiths work with them enough to be comfortable staking their reputation on it. Doesn't necessarily mean the gun isn't capable, but you may have fun finding someone to work on them.

Similarly, F-class stocks *look* relatively simple - and probably are in the overall scheme of things - but finishing them out to look *and* function well is a bit of a specialty. I found out that out the hard way years ago - if the gunsmith hasn't ever done something like an adjustable butt plate or cheek piece hardware inlet, the *last* place you want them figuring it out is on your new precious. Figure out a way to ask nicely/discreetly if your 'smith of choice has done that kind of work, and how many times.

The gunsmith I've been using the past few years is Shawn Williams of Northridge Rifles, out of Helena MT. He usually does more of the BAT/Borden end of the action spectrum, but he's done work on Savage target actions for me in the past, so he might be game to work with the CdG. If you're only looking for stock work, I might say get a hold of Brett Childress (goes by B'cz on Accurate shooter.com) - he does some *beautiful* work.

One thing that I will say is that availability can vary wildly. I wanted something very specific, so I ordered a custom stock from X-ring. Then I found that the delivery ETA was something like 6-7 months, just for getting the blank to me. That turned into more like 10... which then b0rked the time line with the gunsmith. I literally had everything else - action, barrel, trigger, stock hardware - in hand by the end of July. It was late October the next year before I had it in hand - mainly because of that stock. Was it worth it? In the long run, yes. But if I was in a hurry, you might check out Dima stocks - they tend to have plenty of their standard designs in stock.

Reactions: DocRDS and kthomas
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I am aware that getting these things built is a wait game. And those stock wait times are worse than most actions. I got old and wanna shoot F class.

I still do PRS, but gamer gun != Target gun.

Also, more guns...

I just got a prefit from PVA and it's immaculate. the headspace is approx .0005-.001 longer than my custom guns but I'm shook at how it turned out and how it shoots. literally shoots my old load just like my bartleins did.
I think you could be flat competitive with a PVA or bugholes job. if you want the bore timed just consider sending in your action. my prefit had a timed engraving so maybe they're able to get the bore timed approximately well too, idk.
A coned breech doesn't seem like a supremely difficult thing.
I'm not one to hack something together for my prs guns, I tend to take as much care with them as benchresters do their guns and sleds.

Last edited:
Since my local guy doesn't want to deal with a Coup de Grace, looking for recommended builders who are familiar with it.

F-Class style rifle, Long action 7PRCW or 284 Win/Shehane.

Over/under on someone recommending another action is 10 posts.
Harless Precision out of Fountain, Co. He has built many F class rifles over the years and I know he's had CDGs through his shop. He and his brother grew up shooting competitively in Service Rifle, high-power, and Fclass. Shane is more than capable to do what ever you want with a CDG.

Reactions: kthomas