• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Couple of methods of finding the lands and how I found the results to compare

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    I have been using a Hornady OAL gauge to find distance to the lands in support of selecting seating depth.

Although it is often criticized, I found that in taking a series of measurements with the OAL gauge, it quickly became apparent which of those few that were outliers (mostly stopping at some initial resistance and not really getting to the lands) vs those that were a set of very consistent measurements which are valid and useful.

Many of you are far more experienced in popping your bolts apart may choose to use the Alex Wheeler method (vid on his website)

Greg Dykstra of Primal Rights has a video on a similar process to Mr. Wheeler's

But, I don't routinely take my bolts apart (probably should gain some experience with this) and as said, the OAL gauge seemed to work fairly consistently with a bit of practice.

But I just got a pre-fit barrel back and with it new and in hand (i.e. not screwed into an action), I thought it would be a good opportunity to compare the results of OAL gauge measurements with the method Cal of Precision Rifle Blog attributes to Mark Gordon of Short Action Custom (but maybe there were other earlier advocates of this method).

That vid can be found below but basically you drop a sized case into the chamber of a barrel with bullet seated long, give the base of the cartridge a couple of taps, then see if you can extract it easily using just the nail on your pinky finger. Now, of course it will be obvious when the bullet is seated very long to start as the base will be proud of the chamber. But once you get close and the case pretty much looks flush at a glance, then this pinky thing works well. Just keep increasing seating depth until you can drop the case in, give it a couple of light taps, and easily extract it with your small finger nail and can do this three times in a row (just for higher degree of validation, IMO).

That vid is here:

So, a few days ago I did both OAL and the "Mark Gordon" method and found very consistent results with both and only .004" difference in results in the two methods.

Perhaps for some types of competition (e.g. bench rest), .004" is significant, but its not to me. Not when we can easily burn the throat back .003" or more per 100 rounds. So, I'd be fine with the OAL results but with a prefit I don't think I'd have any issue with pulling the barrel and redoing the Gordon method as some significant number of rounds down the tube.

So, I'm going with the figure from the Gordon method (and by the by, I did it well more than 3 times and found it generated highly consistent results.

For most of you experts this is like reloading kindergarten but I enjoyed this little experiment and perhaps it will be valuable to to new and/or less experts shooters.

Consider it a public service message! 😜 😜😜😜

Cheers

Last edited:
    Reactions: flogxal and Dawhit
    Now take the firing pin out and compare via the wheeler method!
    1719444509444.gif

Now take the firing pin out and compare via the wheeler method!
    View attachment 8447179
    You going to come over and help me get the fucker back together...properly? 😜 LOL

And it ain't just the firing pin...its the ejector (plunger type) also, right? And what about control round feed like the CDG and its extractor? Does that have to come out also.....I probably need to re-watch these vids as I'm sure the answer is there but I'm a smooth brained forgetful idiot in my advancing age! haha

Reactions: Lwood
    Just because I have a couple of cases of virgin Norma brass that doesn’t require any special treatment, and I get a 6 SD with minimal work….

What are these days I’ll crack open that Lapua brass I have and see if it’s any good.

Just because I have a couple of cases of virgin Norma brass that doesn’t require any special treatment, and I get a 6 SD with minimal work….

What are these days I’ll crack open that Lapua brass I have and see if it’s any good.
    Minimal work? hahaha....how much was that Zero press? How much for the 419 dies? How much for the AT V4 with scale? How much for the Ultrasonic cleaner you use.

Yeah, very minimal. 🤔 👍

I get consistent measurements with the hornady tool and modified cases.
    I have used the Wheeler method as well with good results, the two actions I mainly use have mechanical ejection so that makes things a bit easier.
    I also have a 5/16x36 TPI tap since it was cheaper to make the case from my brass that matched my chamber for some cartridges.

Reactions: Baron23
    I use the Hornady OAL gauge like this, I think its the best method for using the Hornady tool.
    Lately loading my 6.5 CM comp gun I just seat 140's at 2.200 BTO, find a powder charge at the speed I want to go and then adjust my barrel tuner.

I use the Hornady OAL gauge like this, I think its the best method for using the Hornady tool.
    Lately loading my 6.5 CM comp gun I just seat 140's at 2.200 BTO, find a powder charge at the speed I want to go and then adjust my barrel tuner.

Thanks Chase...I used the OAL gauge the "book way" of having the barrel horizontal, inserting the bullet in the case, and using the OAL's plunger to push it forward, lock it and measure.

Barrel is still sitting in my safe so I'll try the method you showed this weekend. Be of passing interest to me to see how measurements from that compare to the other numbers I got with the gauge and the "Gordon" method.

Cheers

You going to come over and help me get the fucker back together...properly? 😜 LOL

And it ain't just the firing pin...its the ejector (plunger type) also, right? And what about control round feed like the CDG and its extractor? Does that have to come out also.....I probably need to re-watch these vids as I'm sure the answer is there but I'm a smooth brained forgetful idiot in my advancing age! haha
    Not sure about the CDG and how the CRF differs from my origin, but I didn't need to remove the extractor on the origin.

Reactions: Baron23
    Not sure about the CDG and how the CRF differs from my origin, but I didn't need to remove the extractor on the origin.
    Yeah, prob don’t need to pull the extractor and the CDG doesn’t have a plunger type ejector to worry about.

Barrel is going out to be Cerekote next week. When I get it on the action, I’ll give the Wheeler method a try as challenged by @spife7980…who I noticed didn’t offer to come over and help me out the bolt back together afterward (joking here…I’m pretty I can handle it haha).

This wknd I’ll try @FisherT&C method of using to OAL gauge and see how those results compare to what I have now.

Just crap to keep a retired guy busy! lol

Reactions: HMRamateur
    So I tried the @FisherT&C method that Chase showed in the vid above.

Came out .005" longer (both CBTO and COAL) than the results from the "Mark Gordon" method Cal made a video of (also above).

I'm fairly sure that the difference is that the Hornady case didn't seat all the way...the base was JUST a bit proud of the breech. When i did the Gordon method I used a Lapua twice fired case bumped back .002 (not this barrel as it hasn't been mounted to an action yet, but still a SAAMI chamber and they fit the new barrel chamber just fine).

I could send one of my cases to Hornady (or have my buddy drill and thread one) but this is starting to get to the "how many angels can dance on the head a pin" territory.

I got good, repeatable results with the Gordon method but I'm pretty sure I'd be fine for the most part using any of the results from the three methods I tried. I mean...a few hundred rounds and I'd probably have moved the lands back more than the differences I'm seeing just from throat erosion.

And they lived happily ever after....THE END. 😜 :ROFLMAO: