• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cracked Iota eko

mwiggi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
South Georgia
Had a well known smith open up the inlet for an Iota Eko stock for a Tikka CTR less than a year ago.

Noticed earlier in the week that there are multiple cracks and holes in the composite material on the inside of the stock. The carbon fiber shell seems to still be fine. But one of the holes goes all the way into the shell.

Waiting to hear back from Iota now for three days and I don’t have much hope. They didn’t sound too thrilled that a smith would have inletted the stock a little more. Customer Rep told me that he forwarded the pictures to their engineering team.

Really frustrated with the whole situation, to the point that I’ll be buying a Manners if I’m not happy with how this turns out. This is already a replacement stock because the first Iota Eko didn’t have the action holes drilled in the correct spot.

Stock hasn’t been bedded, just has factory pillars.

Would this be ok to bed the action and bottom metal? Or is the fiberglass material weakened and needs to be fixed a different way? Would this be a terrible idea to try and fix myself? Just don’t want to sink anything else into this.

Is this a problem caused by the additional inletting? Or a problem with how the stock was made? I really appreciate all of the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2128.jpeg
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 89
Were those area touched by the smith that did the inletting? Those look like voids in the fill material, not cracks. In other words, defects in the stock fill which were exposed by the inletting.
Yes, those are the touched up areas. Except for the circular hole near the pillar.

Assuming the stock does need to be repaired by Iota? Worried that bedding may come off due to other defects in the stock.

Were those areas touched by the smith that did the inletting? Those look like voids in the fill material, not cracks. In other words, defects in the stock fill which were exposed by the inletting.

Have whomever beds it fill the voids with epoxy. You should have no issues.

I am not seeing cracks either, it does appear to be voids in the fill

Reactions: Taylorbok
We use variations of high fill epoxies and it's more common than you think. It's almost impossible to use a filler of that type and guarantee that their are no air bubbles in the filler as it is being injected.

Reactions: mwiggi
Were those areas touched by the smith that did the inletting? Those look like voids in the fill material, not cracks. In other words, defects in the stock fill which were exposed by the inletting.

Have whomever beds it fill the voids with epoxy. You should have no issues.

This.

Those are 100% voids, not cracks and it wasn’t cause by your smith. They mold the CF shell and then the stock gets filled with a dense foam type filler as a second step which cures and hardens up to be inletted in another step. All the smith did was expose those voids. Is it an issue? It’s hard to say. I’d see what they say but personally I’d probably just get approval from them in writing to fill them with marine Tex, JB, or devcon and not void any warranties and run it. Or tell them you want the stock replaced with one that doesn’t have voids in the fill if they have an issue with you doing that. If you’re planning on bedding it you will fill them by default.

IMO it’s not a huge deal but it is on the stock maker.

Yes, those are the touched up areas. Except for the circular hole near the pillar.

Assuming the stock does need to be repaired by Iota? Worried that bedding may come off due to other defects in the stock.
If you're happy with the stock otherwise, it will be fine. No reason the epoxy shouldn't adhere. Like @redneckbmxer24 said, the person bedding should just prep them for filling.

Voids, saw little ones in mcm and manners. Definitely not a structural issue, but filling with a bit of bedding won't hurt either.
Decided to bed the action and bottom metal myself. It's far from perfect, but really didn't want to put another cent into this Iota stock.

Ordered the original stock from Midway and one of the pillars was off a good bit from the action screw hole. Iota offered to let me swap the stock for a different color and change the inlet to CTR. Replacement stock arrived and still needed inletting for the CTR bottom by the smith, which is what exposed the voids. Gunsmith had no idea about the voids because they appeared 9 months later.

It's been a week and I haven't heard back from Iota. Called them 48 hours to touch base and Mark, the only guy there that has actually been helpful, was out of the office. Mark originally told me that he saw the pictures I sent in and forwarded them to the engineering department and that's who would decide if it was safe to bed or if I needed to send it in to be repaired.

Can't say that I'd recommend purchasing an Iota stock. Mark bent over backwards to help me with the first stock, so it's disappointing that I haven't heard anything, Would have been nice to hear from Iota that bedding was recommended in this situation. Hopefully I just fell through the cracks, but don't think it's unreasonable to expect to hear back by a week's time.

Really learned my lesson that you get what you pay for. Couldn't understand how people would pay so much for other big name stock makers like Manners, but now I know why. I will be on the lookout for a Manners to replace this Iota Eko.

I appreciate everyone letting me know that bedding would be safe in this situation, otherwise I wouldn't have known without taking it to a gunsmith. Thank yall!

Haven't personally seen that with Manners though not doubting it's possible.
I have a Greyboe Renegade that required somewhat extensive modification for what I wanted to do with it.
Cut the cheek piece off for KMW hardware install, remove material for bedding, trigger hanger, side bolt release, lengthen ejection port openening and open barrel channel up for M24 profile.
I found quite a few air bubbles in doing so just not as large as what you pictured most very small the largest maybe the size of a .177 BB.

Can’t be upset about that.

I got a good deal on the Iota Eko and really loved it until the voids and no communication on this stock. It’s very comfortable to shoot with and lightweight. Just seems like they have some issues to workout with their customer support, voids, and inletting.

Reactions: XLR308