• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Criterion core over gassed?

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Just wondering if anyone has a 16" core, and if they think it's over gassed? I feel like I saw something on here awhile back about them being over gassed, as well as other forums, but can't find it now. Got a buddy that wants to sell me a new one he got about 2 years ago. If it is, what did you do to remedy it. Really don't want an Adjustable gas block.

Thanks fellas

Just wondering if anyone has a 16" core, and if they think it's over gassed? I feel like I saw something on here awhile back about them being over gassed, as well as other forums, but can't find it now. Got a buddy that wants to sell me a new one he got about 2 years ago. If it is, what did you do to remedy it. Really don't want an Adjustable gas block.

Thanks fellas
    You might not want an adjustable GB, but that’s your answer if Criterion drilled the gas ports large.

My 14.5 Core seems to be gassed well. I played with some springs and buffers to see if there was much difference. Springco Blue, White/Red and regular carbine springs with H1 and H2 buffers. Ejection was perfect with all of them. Not much change really. I even tried the upper on one of my lowers with the A5 setup, same deal.

The brass doesn't look beat up. I ran my lighter plinking 55 gr loads and my hotter charges of 55, 75 and 77 and a mix of factory ammo from 55-77 grain. I think the port was .076" if I remember correctly. If you are worried grab some pin gauges or a number drill set and see where it's at before you install the barrel.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Criterion is and has always been one manufacturer that does NOT over-gas their AR' barrels.
    That's good to hear! I'm sure it will be fine. The fellas over on reddit seem to think they are over gassed, but like many issues, 1 person says something and then another regurgitates it.

FWIW... my various , but don't still have them all 5.56 / .223 Wylde barrels..... ( All pin gauged when new. )
    16" 2ea CORE MLGS has a gas port size of .073" and .074" Gas journal... .625"
    16" TRIARC MLGS .069" , gas journal .... .750"
    16" LaRue MLGS .083", gas journal ... .750"
    16" DD LtWt CLGS .068", gas journal .... .750"

12.5" CORE CLGS gas port size of .066"... gas journal... .625"
    12.5" Hodge CLGS .064", gas journal .... .750"

11.5" Sionics ERGP CLGS .060", gas journal .... .750"

18" FN CL HF HBar MLGS .076", gas journal .... .750"
    18" Centurion RLGS .101", gas journal .... .750"
    18" Criterion SS Fluted RLGS .092"gas journal .... .750"
    18" LaRue MLGS .072", gas journal .... .750"

20" FN Button rifled RLGS .093", gas journal .... .750"
    20" BCM SS RLGS .093"
    20" Green Mountain RLGS ( produced for Colt ) .092", gas journal .... .750"
    20" Larue Stealth RLGS .090", gas journal .... .750"
    20" Criterion CORE RLGS .091"...Gas journal... .625"

FWIW... my various , but don't still have them all 5.56 / .223 Wylde barrels..... ( All pin gauged when new. )
    16" 2ea CORE MLGS has a gas port size of .073" and .074" Gas journal... .625"
    16" TRIARC MLGS .069" , gas journal .... .750"
    16" LaRue MLGS .083", gas journal ... .750"
    16" DD LtWt CLGS .068", gas journal .... .750"

12.5" CORE CLGS gas port size of .066"... gas journal... .625"
    12.5" Hodge CLGS .064", gas journal .... .750"

11.5" Sionics ERGP CLGS .060", gas journal .... .750"

18" FN CL HF HBar MLGS .076", gas journal .... .750"
    18" Centurion RLGS .101", gas journal .... .750"
    18" Criterion SS Fluted RLGS .092"gas journal .... .750"
    18" LaRue MLGS .072", gas journal .... .750"

20" FN Button rifled RLGS .093", gas journal .... .750"
    20" BCM SS RLGS .093"
    20" Green Mountain RLGS ( produced for Colt ) .092", gas journal .... .750"
    20" Larue Stealth RLGS .090", gas journal .... .750"
    20" Criterion CORE RLGS .091"...Gas journal... .625"
    Thanks for all that info! A green mountain barrel for colt?

My surefire RC2 just came in for my 11.5 Criterion core.
    With a fixed gas block. an H3 buffer and standard carbine spring it seems to run just fine and eject about 3 o'clock with the suppressor on.
    So far so good.

When time allows I am going to try a slightly heavier spring and see how that works and then run it in a competition for a complete shakedown.

Got lucky and made it back to the range today.

Using AAC 55g ammo

11.5 Criterion with fixed gas block. H3 buffer and blue springco spring suppressed with a Surefire RC2.
    Runs beautifully with can on and can off. Hitting about 3 o'clock with the can on.

16 in Criterion Core with fixed gas block, mid length gas. H2 buffer and blue springco spring. Runs perfectly and ejects about 3:30 to 4 o'clock.
    With the can on it shifts to about 2-2:30

Stretch 16 with intermediate gas and fixed gas block. H1 buffer and standard carbine spring. Eject about 3:30 - 4 o'clock.
    With the can on it shifts to about 3-3:30.

I would not cal the 16 in Criterion over gassed but I may put a Superlative Arms gas block on it if I decided to run it suppressed for a good amount of time.

I suggest that the OP consider changing the title of his post to something that does not unfairly malign Criterion. That will prevent someone scanning the titles from getting a false impression.
    There are reports on other forums of them being over gassed....these reports help confirm they aren't. Also, 'malign?" Lol get a grip dude.

ma-lign - to speak of another in a derogatory or critical manner.

I answered your question, based on dozens of examples with which I have experience.

I made a polite suggestion to prevent others speed reading through post titles from getting an erroneous impression about Criterion barrels.

Thanks for the tip. I'll work on that "getting a grip" thing.

Reactions: iOdysseus
    Malign: "evil in nature or malevolent." I imagine you got your definition from the same place you got the idea I should change the title. You should consider taking a step back and re-take some english classes, or just look up what you are saying. "Erroneous?" How is it wrong if other forums are saying this? Also, how is it my problem if someone else speed reads? Holy shit man, STFU.

Reactions: wade2big
    Malign: "evil in nature or malevolent." I imagine you got your definition from the same place you got the idea I should change the title. You should consider taking a step back and re-take some english classes, or just look up what you are saying. "Erroneous?" How is it wrong if other forums are saying this? Also, how is it my problem if someone else speed reads? Holy shit man, STFU

You might want to back it up a bit. He knows his stuff.

Criterion is the one company I wouldn't worry about being overgassed. I have only seen them be perfectly gassed in all of their barrels I have.

Reactions: bfoosh006