BALLISTIC

Jack of all Trades
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Vinland
ARC Mausingfield w/ 30 MOA rail
300 PRC 27" 1-9 twist
ARC Xylo chassis
Unsure on scope, likely S&B or Nightforce.

I've been out of shooting for a while and never got past 1K, but I'm looking to shoot more, and farther next summer. Plus the discounts are too good on the ARC equipment to let this opportunity pass. I've always been intrigued by ARCs actions, but is there anything else worth looking at before I drop the hammer? Looking at using 225 ELDm and trying to make 3K FPS. Should be supersonic to a mile even in bad conditions. TIA

If you want a Bartlien barrel you might want to get that on order asap, unless lead times have improved since I last heard.

Make sure mags you like that work in your chassis are available. If so have what you need on hand in case they're harder to find when you finish the build.

If you want a Bartlien barrel you might want to get that on order asap, unless lead times have improved since I last heard.

Make sure mags you like that work in your chassis are available. If so have what you need on hand in case they're harder to find when you finish the build.

Not just Bartlein. I ordered a Benchmark for my new 37XC build back in March and was told they had a 4-5 month lead time. Still waiting.

I’d do a 1-8 twist (so you can use long monos in the future), and get the Archimedes instead (because the 300PRC case taper is low and encourages stickiness somewhat, and Archimedes extraction is the best possible).

Parts are worthless in the wrong hands. Who is doing the build or will you be using lego parts? You didn’t indicate either way. Not sure your experienced or this is your first build.

Are we critiquing the parts or all aspects?

Curious your plans to feed this cartridge…factory loads or handloads?

How often and how far are your shooting?

Plan on adding or stealing from another platform.
-scope rings
-trigger
-bipod
-rear bag
-brake
-book to keep round count

I've only bought a few custom barrels, and I got them from distributors, but I'll start looking for what I want. Haven't researched magazines much, but I think the MDT magazines were ones to get for 300PRC.

I haven't kept up with their new actions, but I thought they were cost saving versions of the Mausingfield. Improved extraction and less bolt rotation seems better, but it costs less than the Mausingfield, so what am I giving up by going with the Archimedes instead of the Mausingfield. I've searched, but really haven't seen a pros/cons or contrast between their actions, and I've read all their descriptions. The Mausingfield appeared to be well engineered for abuse and reliability while maintaining precision. I really haven't heard much comparisons about ARC actions to any other actions really, and I'd be interested to read them.

I won't be shooting monometal bullets to start. I'm just getting my feet wet past 1K, so Hornady or Bergers should be fine with 1-9", but after looking for barrels from the others suggestions I haven't found a 1-8" in stock yet, but a handful of 1-9". I ran Litz's stability calc and even in bad conditions the 1-9" provides plenty of stability for their 230 Hybrid.

I haven't talked to a 'smith yet, but was going to contact Chad @LRI as he's built me a rifle before, and he seems to know ARC actions well. You are welcome to critique anything in this endeavour, as I've been out for a while and haven't kept up on things. Handloads 90% of the time probably, I may get some factory ammo, but I'm not paying $4 a round for it.

I'm mainly looking at the action/barrel/chassis for information as the sale ends today, but when those are set I'll begin selecting accessories for it. ARC makes rings, TriggerTech seems to be the new sliced bread. I will need a new bipod and I'm not sure what's out there, suggestions are requested. I have a rear bag, but I could also get another if there's something better. Area 419 Sidewinder seems to be one of the best MBs, so I'm heavily leaning in that direction.

I was thinking the 30 MOA rail would be best for shooting 300-1800, but depending on the scope I could use a 45 MOA rail. Planning to use a 300 yard zero, but I haven't looked into scopes lately to see what I could get away with without forcing a longer zero.

Thanks again for all your ideas Gentlemen.

I've only bought a few custom barrels, and I got them from distributors, but I'll start looking for what I want. Haven't researched magazines much, but I think the MDT magazines were ones to get for 300PRC.

They are what I use.

I won't be shooting monometal bullets to start. I'm just getting my feet wet past 1K, so Hornady or Bergers should be fine with 1-9", but after looking for barrels from the others suggestions I haven't found a 1-8" in stock yet, but a handful of 1-9". I ran Litz's stability calc and even in bad conditions the 1-9" provides plenty of stability for their 230 Hybrid.

My barrel is a 1-9 and I run the 230 Bergers.

I was thinking the 30 MOA rail would be best for shooting 300-1800, but depending on the scope I could use a 45 MOA rail. Planning to use a 300 yard zero, but I haven't looked into scopes lately to see what I could get away with without forcing a longer zero.

I used to run a 20 MOA MPA one-piece mount on top of the Deviant 20 MOA rail for 40 MOA total. You have to be careful going too much past that and need to make sure your scope has enough elevation travel to allow you to zero at 100. Now I run an Era Tac adjustable mount - I lose the built-in 20 MOA from the MPA mount, but pick up as much as 20 mil with the Era Tac, netting out at up to ~34 mil more travel.

I haven't kept up with their new actions, but I thought they were cost saving versions of the Mausingfield. Improved extraction and less bolt rotation seems better, but it costs less than the Mausingfield, so what am I giving up by going with the Archimedes instead of the Mausingfield. I've searched, but really haven't seen a pros/cons or contrast between their actions, and I've read all their descriptions. The Mausingfield appeared to be well engineered for abuse and reliability while maintaining precision. I really haven't heard much comparisons about ARC actions to any other actions really, and I'd be interested to read them.

The advantage of the Archimedes is the leverage of the bolt handle extracting cases from the chamber

The advantage of the Mausingfield is the availability of the .588 bolt head

Reactions: gnochi