• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Curing Ceracoat or Gunkoat in a gas grill?

johnmac

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2007
NC
Anyone tried curing Cerakote or Gunkote In a gas Grill?

Just wondering if a gas grill would be an acceptable and easy oven to cure such coatings.

Also, Anyone tried the new ambient cure Ceracoat? Is it on par with the bake on methods?

Re: Curing Ceracoat or Gunkoat in a gas grill?

I know of one person that used a gas grill to cure Molyresin and was successful. Personally, I would never recommend it, too many reasons. A home electric oven is fine, just monitor the temp with a probe and let it stabilize. Or use the hot plate/stove pipe method that has been posted elsewhere.

Re: Curing Ceracoat or Gunkoat in a gas grill?

I just constructed a curing oven using a Harbor Freight 8" hot plate, a 8" section of stove pipe cut to about 40", one roll of fiberglass duct insulation, a little aluminum tape, a pt lid and a probe type thermometer.

Cured a 24" .308 AR barrel with OD green gunkote. Turned out great. I sat in my walk out basement watching tv monitoring the temp for an hour or so.

I'm out of town till Sat but I'll try to put some pix in of the rifle and the stove.

It turned out so good I've promised my son a .308 AR for when he graduates Infantry Basic/AIT and wants it Desert Tan. I'm going to try the Brownell's Tan lacquer