• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Custom AR10 Barrels

Re: Custom AR10 Barrels

There won't be any Noveske .308 stuff for a long, long time, is what they are saying. Been that way for a few months now. Parts shortage.

In fact, I dunno if you'll even be able to get a custom barrel without waiting for it... everyone seems to be overwhelmed, and are barely able to keep up with the orders they already have.

But I'd try looking at Krieger (http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/), Obermeyer (http://obermeyerbarrels.com/) and Lilja (http://www.riflebarrels.com/) to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a few in stock right now.

Paul </div></div> Wow. You guys are pretty much top of the food chain. Will you still sell me a barrel even if I don't have a US Optics or S&B to put on top? Don't answer that.... I checked out the link, but didn't see any AR10 bbls. What configurations do you have? I am shooting 168 AMAX & 175 smk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a few in stock right now.

Paul </div></div> Wow. You guys are pretty much top of the food chain. Will you still sell me a barrel even if I don't have a US Optics or S&B to put on top? Don't answer that.... I checked out the link, but didn't see any AR10 bbls. What configurations do you have? I am shooting 168 AMAX & 175 smk.</div></div>

Tell them to send you the same barrel set up that they send me for our Rapid Strike guns. You'll be VERY happy.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the AR-10T profile in stock in either 10 or 11.27 twist I would suggest the 11.27 twist for the 168 and 175gr bullets.

Paul </div></div>Armalite is selling a 20" barrel that they are calling a AR10-T. Is the barrel you describe a 20" or a 24"? Do you quote prices, or is that a PM thing?

Barrel is $325.00, it is contoured and threaded for extension you need to have it chambered, gas port installed and crowned, the barrel can finish 24" or shorter whatever you want.

Paul

Man, I was hoping to get a barrel that I could drop in. If I went with a Rock, who would you recommend to finish the barrel? Also, I kinda got hung up on the polygonal twist thing. What I have read suggests that poly barrels get slightly better velocities, and deform the bullet less for better trajectory. Opinions? I have an extra bolt & carrier, and I'm kicking around assembling another upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCR #226</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a few in stock right now.

Paul </div></div> Wow. You guys are pretty much top of the food chain. Will you still sell me a barrel even if I don't have a US Optics or S&B to put on top? Don't answer that.... I checked out the link, but didn't see any AR10 bbls. What configurations do you have? I am shooting 168 AMAX & 175 smk.</div></div>

Tell them to send you the same barrel set up that they send me for our Rapid Strike guns. You'll be VERY happy.

Mike </div></div> OK Mike, it looks like I'll need someone to cut the chamber, add the barrel extension, drill the gas port, thread & crown the muzzle, finished length 20" . Are you up for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCR #226</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a few in stock right now.

Mike</div></div> Thank you Mr. BCR #226! I installed that slightly used Rock barrel, and turned in some decent groups, 3/4 moa, without even being at the bench yet. You made that WAY too easy.....

I am a fan of Brux barrels and saw on their web site that they will build barrels for AR's. I emailed them about building a 308 for my DPMS 308, they said yes and it would be $420 with their barrel extension. I will be ordering one next week as I have great luck with Brux barrels and they stand behind their product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a fan of Brux barrels and saw on their web site that they will build barrels for AR's. I emailed them about building a 308 for my DPMS 308, they said yes and it would be $420 with their barrel extension. I will be ordering one next week as I have great luck with Brux barrels and they stand behind their product.

</div></div>
what twist are you getting in this barrel?

1-11" the heaviest i see shooting out of the gas is 178 g AMAX and that should be an ok medium. Currently, the DPMS has a 1-10" twist and it does not shoot very well that is why I am going for a custom barrel.

Any other suggestions, as I am not a .308 expert, I tend more to the 6.6 side of things but wanted to give a 308 a try.

wade

I have a Dpms aswell 308 Sass but its not a very good shooter either,i did recieve my Rock barrel 1-11.25 twsit from Cut rifled also.The best groups i got with the Sass at 100yds with the current factory 1-10 twist barrel, were .75 moa three rounds touching with a very light load of 175smsk. 41.6 reloader 15 seated at 2.80 oal.210m primers,blackhills once fired brass.Im thinking its an accuracy node and i need to up the charge some.I was dissapointed last range seession at 300yds i got a 8" group with factory 175 blackhills ammo.
I will be sending out the upper to have the Rock barrel chambered but GAP isnt taking any work till August per phone conversation.guess ill wait and keep tinkering with the loads.

I have a Rock 5R getting put to my DPMS 308 right now with the 1-11.25 twist I want to get a JP adjustable gas block for it but i dont know yet I will see how she shoots after I get her back and get my tubb brake in for it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5150Sigy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rock 5R getting put to my DPMS 308 right now with the 1-11.25 twist I want to get a JP adjustable gas block for it but i dont know yet I will see how she shoots after I get her back and get my tubb brake in for it </div></div>
whos doing the work for ya?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Dpms aswell 308 Sass but its not a very good shooter either,i did recieve my Rock barrel 1-11.25 twsit from Cut rifled also.The best groups i got with the Sass at 100yds with the current factory 1-10 twist barrel, were .75 moa three rounds touching with a very light load of 175smsk. 41.6 reloader 15 seated at 2.80 oal.210m primers,blackhills</div></div>

I also have a DPMS SASS and had the same issues. It was not all that consistent or may be I was not all that consistent but I ended up sending it to GA Precision for a Bartlein 1:11 barrel and some other minor adjustments. It now shoots 3/4 to 1/2 MOA depending on me of course. I have taken it out to 300 and still have 3/4 MOA so the re-barreling helped. I am not the best shooter so if I can hit 3/4 MOA out to 600 I am more then happy on sending it off to get worked on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a fan of Brux barrels and saw on their web site that they will build barrels for AR's. I emailed them about building a 308 for my DPMS 308, they said yes and it would be $420 with their barrel extension. I will be ordering one next week as I have great luck with Brux barrels and they stand behind their product.

</div></div>Brux barrels are gtg. Norm and Ken are good guys. Its great to see some of you guys using their barrels. Although it does take me a little longer to get barrels from them these days. They are very easy to work with. I have seen them send replacement barrels out for people even know it most likely wasnt their fault in the first place(f'd crowns,brakes,etc..) They do great work and they take their time and do it right.