Custom Cut Foam for Hard Rifle Case

Dutch260

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Katy, TX
How many of you guys have had custom foam work/cutting/layouts done for your hard cases? Who did you use and what was your experience like?

I came across a thread a while back on here where someone had got some custom cut foam from Cobra Foam Inserts so I decided to give them a try. Well 7 weeks later and still no foam. And it was just a single piece of cut foam. Not like I ordered 14 different configurations. And I have to chase constantly for updates and I keep getting the.....
money-pit-two-weeks-two-weeks-gif.png

Needless to say I'm quite disappointed in my experience with them thus far. They have offered me a refund when I last tried to get an update but at this point I feel like I'm committed to riding it out unless I have a better alternative. Which brings me back to my question for you guys.

What other companies have you used for Custom Cut foam work for your rifle/gun cases what was your experience and average wait time for your order? At this point I'm ready to get a refund and move on as I have zero confidence that I'll ever get my order but I at least would like to have another option I could go with first before cancelling.

Maybe practice makes perfect and I'm not opposed to trying that again but those layouts that are Lazer cut look so freaking clean. Saving the freehand method as a last resort for now.

I did mine and it turned out very clean looking. Get one of those utility knives with the extendable snap off blades then run it out as long as it will go. Use a straight edge to guide the blade path and keep the knife vertical. You'll have to change the blades often, I only got about 2 foot of cutting before the blade dulled enough to not cut the full thickness of the foam smoothly with no tearing. Went through a whole pack to cut the layout for my pelican but it turned out good.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 326
I use the same type of knife as Sheldon, a straight edge, and my calibrated eyeball to keep the blade vertical. Years ago I built a hot wire setup but it's packed away in one of the garages somewhere from a couple moves. It works very well though.

I'd recommend getting closed cell foam. It won't hold water like the open cell that cases come with and it cuts SOOOOOO much cleaner since it's firmer. Kaizen is a good source for foam to fit all the popular cases, I actually just received another order from them yesterday for closed cell foam for a Pelican 1460 to house my 3 main pieces of NV gear. I cut it (very cleanly) in about an hour on my coffee table while watching TV.

Mycasebuilder.com
Excellent quality, turnaround time was about a week. And they offer protection for an extra $8, in case it doesnt fit or you want to change the layout. You can use an online editor that also has 3D viewing, and a photo tracer, however they have a database of templates for more of the common items used. Its relatively simple to use to use the program.

Man you guys are worse than my wife! I go in with this cool idea to buy something I've been wanting because it's exactly what I want and then before I know it she's talked me into going a different direction which is now a DIY project that will almost certainly not be as cool as what I wanted to buy in the first place!

Not only that but then you got @Sheldon N with his professional grade looking self cut foam perfectly cut and all you other jerks shaming me to quit being a lil bitch and just cut my own foam. Well it worked, I caved like a fat kid in front of a tray of cupcakes and got on Amazon and ordered my supplies. I'll definitely use all the tips and tricks you guys mentioned so that it doesn't look like a craft project my 7 year old did when she was bored one rainy day.

I'll report back once I've given it a shot. However, if it turns out to be an epic fail then I can revisit this idea and check out Mycasebuilder (thanks @Kopfjager1 ).

Buy once, Cry once...............but it will be right.......

Anyone with the laser isn't doing enough of this work to make it cost effective to do a program. A DY
Pelican will cut foam for you https://www.pelicanfoam.com or you can buy a hot wire cutter table Torch Hot Wire Foam Cutter HT-11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHFJJT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_2XyWBb4XE3QX5

Or just a hot wire "pen" to cut foam. For less than $20.00 I'm willing to take a chance on this

https://www.amazon.com/Budalga-Elec...ools+Kit+Hot+Knife+Styrofoam+Carving+Pen+10cm

You can build a homemade hot wire cutter with some wood, transformer and wire. Directions can be found online. Once built I trace my gun on some poster board, cut it out and tack it onto the foam so it doesn’t move and then follow the cut out with the hot wire. Works excellent and can be done for maybe $30-40. You’ll then have the machine to cut foam for all your different guns and changing set ups.

Reactions: pga43
You can build a homemade hot wire cutter with some wood, transformer and wire. Directions can be found online. Once built I trace my gun on some poster board, cut it out and tack it onto the foam so it doesn’t move and then follow the cut out with the hot wire. Works excellent and can be done for maybe $30-40. You’ll then have the machine to cut foam for all your different guns and changing set ups.

For $25 including shipping, I'm buying one cuz I'm not handy enough to build anything that uses electricity. o_O Can you say electrocution! :eek:

Greg

I plan on using a fillet knife on the next one I do, I have used the disposable razors a couple of times but they dull fast as has allready been stated.
The fillet knife I think would hold an edge longer and when it dulls a couple of passes on my belt sharpener will bring it right back to razor blade sharp with a 1200 grit belt.
It sounds good in theory to me so I will have to find out I guess.

Here’s some pics. The homebuilt table allows you to easily move foam around with both hands to get an even cut.

706DE879-1D9D-4550-9636-48AEE42522A4.jpeg

18022352-86F1-4397-A451-40BBC65FDDFD.jpeg

Okay fellas, the Amazon truck is on it's way today so time to put all this advice to work and see how it turns out. I bought a couple of pieces of foam for trial and error but I think I'm going to stick with the razor blade or fillet knife and a straight edge for now. May consider the hot wire cutter if those don't work well.

One question though, I notice a lot of you guys cut a spot for the bolt to store separately. Curious on why y'all remove the bolt for storage/travel? I thought it might have been due to it sticking up above the rest of the rifle but then I realized my scope turrets extend further than my bolt knob does (or at least I think it does).

I'm curios to learn if the pen -wire has enough rigidity to go through the foam or if you need the next step up in tool:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBDZFK...&pd_rd_r=e35cfe6b-d13e-11e8-8a4a-61489532c619

I'm going to pick up the hot wire later today and I'll let you know how well it works or doesn't. The one you posted is also for cutting styrofoam which is a lot more rigid then just the open cell foam used in most gun cases and there for would need something with a more blade like attachment.

Greg

Closed cell foam is where it's at if you can get some. Stiffer and super easy to cut. I've done quite a few with only a pocket knife and a straight edge. I've also gone to a more simple straight lines cutting instead of trying to follow every curve of the rifle. Makes it a little easier and have grown to think the result looks better as well.

IMG_20180310_213409.jpg

Closed cell foam is where it's at if you can get some. Stiffer and super easy to cut. I've done quite a few with only a pocket knife and a straight edge. I've also gone to a more simple straight lines cutting instead of trying to follow every curve of the rifle. Makes it a little easier and have grown to think the result looks better as well.

View attachment 6956979

I've heard from a few friends who have also recommended closed cell foam. Like you said, easier to work with/cut and also since it's more stable, more protection for your equipment.

Now to find a place close to me that sells it. Anyone know if HomeDepot cells closed cell foam?

Greg

I've heard from a few friends who have also recommended closed cell foam. Like you said, easier to work with/cut and also since it's more stable, more protection for your equipment.

Now to find a place close to me that sells it. Anyone know if HomeDepot cells closed cell foam?

Greg

I ordered mine through here. They have tons of different foam types and thicknesses. It was very reasonably priced I think. I got the charcoal firm style and it’s very similar to what comes in the pelican cases.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/opencellfoam.html

I ordered mine through here. They have tons of different foam types and thicknesses. It was very reasonably priced I think. I got the charcoal firm style and it’s very similar to what comes in the pelican cases.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/opencellfoam.html

How thick of a piece of closed cell foam did you use? The pelican cases have two separate pieces in the botto and then one peice that fills the lid. I cut the top one for my other rifle but kept the cutout piece so I could put that piece back ito the cutout and then move it to the bottom piece. Then I could cut the top piece for my new rifle.

If I go to closed cell should I get two separate peices and only cut the top piece?

Thx

Greg

How thick of a piece of closed cell foam did you use? The pelican cases have two separate pieces in the botto and then one peice that fills the lid. I cut the top one for my other rifle but kept the cutout piece so I could put that piece back ito the cutout and then move it to the bottom piece. Then I could cut the top piece for my new rifle.

If I go to closed cell should I get two separate peices and only cut the top piece?

Thx

Greg

What I did was measured the middle piece and just bought more of those. That way the bottom and top lid piece could stay in the case and I just just change out the middle one for each gun.

My case is the Pelican 1750 and I ordered the 1.5” thick ones which fit perfect for the middle section

What I did was measured the middle piece and just bought more of those. That way the bottom and top lid piece could stay in the case and I just just change out the middle one for each gun.

My case is the Pelican 1750 and I ordered the 1.5” thick ones which fit perfect for the middle section

Thanks, I have the same 1750 Pelican can. I appreciate the quick info.

Greg

So finally got my Cobra Custom Foam (total of 8 weeks)! Funny enough, the same afternoon I ordered 2 foam sheets from Amazon to cut my own I got the shipping notification from Cobra. I held off on doing my own cutting until I could see what I might have done differently with my Cobra foam. Didn't make sense for me to cut the same exact pattern myself that I had paid Cobra to do for me.

Anyways, overall happy with the job Cobra did. Still extremely disappointed with the overall customer experience though. Would most likely go a different route next time or just stick to cutting my own using the various tricks and tips all you guys have mentioned above in the thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_152934.jpg
    IMG_20181022_152934.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 192
So finally got my Cobra Custom Foam (total of 8 weeks)! Funny enough, the same afternoon I ordered 2 foam sheets from Amazon to cut my own I got the shipping notification from Cobra. I held off on doing my own cutting until I could see what I might have done differently with my Cobra foam. Didn't make sense for me to cut the same exact pattern myself that I had paid Cobra to do for me.

Anyways, overall happy with the job Cobra did. Still extremely disappointed with the overall customer experience though. Would most likely go a different route next time or just stick to cutting my own using the various tricks and tips all you guys have mentioned above in the thread.
How much did it cost you?

Looks like it's well done, nicely laid out.

Greg

Reactions: Dutch260
How much did it cost you?
It was $105 total which included the custom cut middle foam which was glued to a bottom layer as a backer. So all in all not bad for 2 pieces of foam which cost me $70 on amazon for just the foam itself. Albeit the Cobra foam isn't quite as stiff/dense as the factory Pelican foam it is damn close.

Save the uncut ones because youll change it up shortly Im sure. I need a new one each year because I get new barrels, new stocks etc and nothing ever fits in twice.
Exactly! I figure surely I'll get some new toys or gadgets that I'll want to add or will end up switching optics/barrels/stocks/etc. It's always something lol! At least now I have a pretty awesome template I can use to trace on the fresh foam if and when I decide to switch it up.

Reactions: spife7980
It was $105 total which included the custom cut middle foam which was glued to a bottom layer as a backer. So all in all not bad for 2 pieces of foam which cost me $70 on amazon for just the foam itself. Albeit the Cobra foam isn't quite as stiff/dense as the factory Pelican foam it is damn close.
Man that's a deal ---

Bringing this thread back to life, to look for some general advice. Given where I live, I try to be discreet as possible when I am carrying my firearms to go to the range. I have a long walk to my car at times, and while I recognize this may be over doing it, I try to not scream "i have precision rifles" on me when I leave the house.

I found a unique hard case that does a much better job hiding in plain sight than the average pelican case. The dimensions and the size of my rifle lend itself to not being able to account for a 1inch border of foam around the entire gun/scope. At certain points, it is almost 1/4 or 1/5 of an inch thick as a eyeball the gun in the case right now.

General advice on this? As the parts that would be closest to the hard case at these thin spots in the foam would be the scope turret and the arca rail, but realistically, it is sitting in my trunk of the SUV for a 40min car ride, so it will be relatively protected,. I WOULD NOT fly with this setup, just to and from the range locally via car.

Should I really worry about trying to preserve that .20-.25in of foam at the turret, or just cut it all way and shove a piece of foam by hand in there as I take the gun in and out?