• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Custom Mauser Value

Longrange****

Old Hat Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2006
Mille Lacs, MN
Alright guys, Ive spent a fair amount of time reaserching and trying to find a value for my Mauser. I would like to sell it but have no idea what its worth. The prices Ive been able to find span anywhere from $300 to $5000.....Ive found some in the same quality level around the 1200-2000 range.

-Its in 220 Swift
-I have no idea as to the builder but fired brass has ZERO runout
-I have no idea as to round count.
-The throat is long on it
-It DOES have a custom Heavy 1-15 Twist 8 groove barrel....
-The barrel is stamped "LAYNE" on the side of it(see pic 2)....I have narrowed it down to having been built for Layne Simpson and for one of his articles. I have attempted to contact him in the past regarding it. Ive been in contact with his editor but Layne never seems to want to return my emails, thats if he is even getting them. (dont know if his editor is forwarding them or not)
-The stock appears to be a full custom carved one.
-It does have a Timney trigger that is LIGHT...well under 16oz
-Jeweled Bolt
-It also has 2 flush cups in the standard swivel points...
-Not the best bedding job but it shoots .5-.75 MOA
-Ive got plenty of extras to go with it but I know what those are worth...
-It is an NF Mauser, I know that much...
-The clearcoat finnish is a HIGH gloss with in my opinion high grade wood...

The photos here dont even do the thing near the justice it deserves....Its absolutely Beutiful....

Whatcha think its worth? I just dont want to list it for $1200 if its only worth $400, but if its only worth 400 Ill hold on to it....

Anyway...on to the pics, sorry its dusty.

If you want to know something about it let me know, I dont know much of anything about Mausers, so ask specific questions about it.

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

Re: Custom Mauser Value

Probably a $400 gun, problem wit hthe sporterized Mausers is they don't hold their value too well, and they have some issues as a whole, namely you never know who built them, exactly what components go into them, were they put together right (remember the 3 position safety debacle from the 70s?) and you just never know about them, needless to say they're not really all that popular and generally kinda hard to get rid of.

That is one wild looking rifle! I'd say somewhere in the $750 range if you could find the right buyer. Not terribly desireable, the Mauser actions are a dime a dozen. If it's a shooter and somebody wants a 220 Swift bench/varmint gun they'll pay 7 or $800. Might take awhile to find that person.

By definition, it is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Mausers like this do not have much of a market anymore. To me, a .220 Swift built on an FN action with an unknown number of rounds through it is a $300 gun at best. If you want the maximum cash from the rifle, part it out as the parts will bring more than the combined rifle.

It's a $300 barreled action, and then figure 50 cents on the dollar for the rest of the parts like the stock, trigger, base, rings, and 25 cents on the dollar for that scope.

You can probably expect in the $600 range on Gunbroker.

The 2 problems you're going to have is the unknown 'smith and unknown round count.

That's a beautiful looking rifle, what's the push to sell it? I would let it sit in the back of the safe and gather dust, enjoy it slowly like a fine scotch.

I have a Turk Mauser actioned rifle that shoots extremely well and it's nicely finished up. I built it from a pile of parts and did all of the cosmetic work. I really like it and it holds sentimental value to me.

I have a feeling that you'll be sorry you sold it some point down the road. Good luck finding another stock like that without spending $2k... you'll never get the money out of it now that it would cost to replace it.

It looks like a well done student gunsmith project rifle. More sweet looking mausers come out of gunsmith schools than as private commissioned works.

Nothing makes this particular rifle noteworthy. A well stocked pawn shop will open your eyes on the value of such firearms.

Mausers are not the treasured jewels they once were. Unless you can document a gold star ownership lineage I'd say 750 tops.

Building something with high dollar parts doesnt always make a masterpiece as anyone who has souped up a Yugo car can attest.

But if I owned that rifle, and I have zero use for that caliber, it would be in my will as I wouldnt part with it.

Good Luck

A "souped up Yugo"...hahaha thats funny as shit...

Yup got the response I thought that I would...

I know exactly what the scope is and they were a big deal around here a couple years ago....

And Bohem...not really a big push to sell it but its one of those rifles that Ive had for about 10 years and only put about 75 rounds through it. I should try to load up the hottest suckers I can and see what I can find to blow up.....I did save a bunch of Pulled Penatrators that I wanted to crank up to see what they would punch through....