• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

cz 452 american/silhoutte vs. varmiter

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
ok i'm pretty set on getting a cz 452, as the other day at the range it outshot (with crap bulk ammo - 1.25" @ 100 yards shooting rightie, i'm a leftie) my savage mkii (with match ammo -2" @ 100 yards)and because i think i've maxed out the accuracy in my savage.

for those of you that have experience with both the 452 american and the varmiter, which do you think is more accurate?

i'll be using it at 100 and 200 yards on paper, and small bore silhoutte.

is having the 2" more of barrel on the american / silhoutte plus the lightweight going to be a better choice than the heavier barreled varmiter when acting as a dual purpose rifle, or are they equally accurate and a trade off?

Re: cz 452 american/silhoutte vs. varmiter

Go with the Silo if you are shooting silhouette. You can make hunter class, but I'm pretty sure the Varmint will be too heavy.

They both shoot the same, and they are both models with the lugged barrel. I've had both, and on my Silo I bedded stock all the way out to and including the lug.

You can get metric set screws at Ace to lock the lug to the barrel in its dovetail.

Actually the best bet would be to save your coins and play with the Savage until you can get an Annie. Trust me, if you stick with SB silhouette, you WILL get an Annie sooner or later....it just kinda goes that way. A 1416 with the 64match 2 stage trigger would be a great way to go, if you don't want to drop the dough on a 1712.

I was thinking of the american or silhoutte for that reason: handling better shooting off-hand silhoutte. but if the varmint is any better, i can cope with the weight, as i'm shooting a bull barrel savage now.

i love the savage, and already done about all that i can (or willing to pay for) to it. the annie is a bit out of my $ range. i'm thinking the cz is a good medium.

but if they are shooting about the same, i'll tend to lean toward the american / silhoutte.

do you have any 200 yard group averages between the american/silhoutte and the varminter?

No, I let my silo go when I was raising funds for my Annie...

My varmint I just got recently and haven't shot much yet other than making sure it hangs around an inch/inch and a half at 100m with the SK Standard Plus I have on hand. I'm not a great group shooter anyway.....

TP,
I have A CZ 453 Varmint and I like it real well . It shoots extremely well and the trigger is adjustable. The rifle is real accurate and shoots almost all ammo real good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the Silo if you are shooting silhouette. You can make hunter class, but I'm pretty sure the Varmint will be too heavy. </div></div>

I disagree. Go with the American. The silo stock is terrible.

I've got an American in a custom stock, after changing out the trigger (timney) it is a real shooter. Get 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 with Rem. subsonic. Gets shot twice as much as any other firearm I own.

IMG_0960.jpg