CZ 457 glass and ring choice? Post pics

SPD319

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2018
Decided to keep my 457. Added the 419 15moa base and bolt knob. Anyone running a 419, could you post a pic of your scope and rings.. im wanting good glass and to keep it low. My k525i on a Spuhr was way too high.
Any suggestions on a good buttpad cheek pad woukd be greatly appreciated.

My 457 in a MPA chassis.. Athlon Midas Tac with Seekins Precision .87" Medium rings and Area 419 30moa base.. I had a Victor Titan cheek riser on the Pro Varmint stock with this scope and rings set up before going to the MPA chassis

Attachments

• 20191124_111830.jpg
    20191124_111830.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 567
Tried a couple options. Was going to run my XRSII in an MPA mount, but it ended up being too top heavy feeling, plus I hunt squirrels a lot with mine and the 75yd minimum parallax on the XRS wasnt cutting it. Went with my old Viper PST in some low weaver rings. AB063F7D-ADC1-4399-949C-DE351C169BE8.jpegDFC86294-D149-4202-8236-9440285630EF.jpeg

Vortex AMG in Seekins low rings on A419 30MOA. The A419 bolt knob does not interfere at all.

View attachment 7191277

I have since added a Bartlein barrel that is slightly bigger than factory (.900 vs .860), I had to remove the front cap to clear the new barrel.
How has that Bartlein shot for you VS the factory set up? I just picked up the Area 419 Manners Elite build and I’m wanting to gauge accuracy expectations.

Reactions: rj4 and Bradu
I've used BScar 25 MOA extended bases on both my current 457s (American & Varmint MTR), and have another one coming for the VPT that arrived last week. The attached photos make it look as if there's no space between the scope objectives & the bbl, but there is actually 3/16" or more. I used TPS TSR low rings on both - 30mm on 6-24x50 Midas TAC on the American, and 34mm low TSRs on 4.5-29x56 Cronus on the MTR. The VPT will get another 6-24x50 Midas TAC in TSR low rings this week when the next BScar 25 MOA rail arrives in the mail. I very much prefer these low rails to a higher one like the Area 419; they both give adequate objective & power ring clearance, while also working quite well with both the American & MTR stocks w/o need for a stock pack. I'm expecting the same results with the BScar on the VPT in the Manners stock.

Attachments

• DSC_0239.JPG
    DSC_0239.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC_0237.JPG
    DSC_0237.JPG
    472.2 KB · Views: 343
How has that Bartlein shot for you VS the factory set up? I just picked up the Area 419 Manners Elite build and I’m wanting to gauge accuracy expectations.
It shoots great unsuppressed, throws random fliers with the can for some reason. It may have to do with the fact that the threads are .600" long instead of the standard 0.400" placing the muzzle within 0.100 of the blast baffle. SiCo Sparrow and TB TD22 will not screw on to the barrel due to this thread length as well.

That said, my .22 can is a YHM Mite and is far from top tier, I have a Rugged Oculus in jail. FWIW, The Mite does not show this phenomenon on any other barrel.

Reactions: Greg0326
If you’re open to non-picatinny rings, Tier One makes excellent dovetail rings that mount directly to the 11mm dovetail. I have their 16mm version for CZ 527s (they call them 17mm). While picatinny is way more convenient if you’re swapping glass around, the dovetail rings look much cleaner/better.

Last edited:
I decided on a Vortex 5-25×50 and went with Burris tac rings
20191205_142355.jpg
(simply because they had them on the floor)...glass is decent and the rifle shoots good...I'll know more after 500 rds
20191205_150205.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
It shoots great unsuppressed, throws random fliers with the can for some reason. It may have to do with the fact that the threads are .600" long instead of the standard 0.400" placing the muzzle within 0.100 of the blast baffle. SiCo Sparrow and TB TD22 will not screw on to the barrel due to this thread length as well.

That said, my .22 can is a YHM Mite and is far from top tier, I have a Rugged Oculus in jail. FWIW, The Mite does not show this phenomenon on any other barrel.
Update: the fliers with the can were related to the POS YHM can. I have since gotten my Rugged Oculus and this rifle shoots lights out.

It’s a Randolph Machine, in my opinion it’s the best front rest you can buy. JMO . I’ve had most of the front 2 piece rests available, including a Neo.
Comparing favorably to a SEB Neo is indeed something. I just bought a used Brownlee Model 2400 rest. It is a retired rest from another shooter who just got a T-Rex Rodzilla. Is this your Sporter class rifle in your photo?

Decided to keep my 457. Added the 419 15moa base and bolt knob. Anyone running a 419, could you post a pic of your scope and rings.. im wanting good glass and to keep it low. My k525i on a Spuhr was way too high.
Any suggestions on a good buttpad cheek pad woukd be greatly appreciated.
Pictures will not help much though. Most all setups you'll see vary, even if slightly. I went through this with my CZ 457 (pic up thread). My issue was that I have the CZ American 24-inch barrel which tapers considerably to the muzzle, and I plan on adding a custom barrel later, which will have a much larger diameter at the base of the objective lens bell. I also have a 20 MOA Rail.

The solution? I found this website (below). If you feed careful measurements to the calculators you will get the right answer. I did, so I went with the medium high rings which right now are over clearance for my setup but will be exactly right for a larger diameter barrel. Don't Forget to factor in the lens shade if you ever plan to use one. That will affect the calculations with a canted rail.

Calculators: http://www.mil-rad.com/

Another caveat. More important than the height of the rings is having an adjustable Comb/Stock. See Frank's article in Gun Digest here:

9 Long-Range Shooting Fundamentals You Must Master

Last edited: