CZ 457 stock change question.

pepelefrog

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2019
I recently bought a XLR Element stock for my CZ 457. On their website, it said the torque spec of the chassis for cz 457 is: Action Screws 65inch/ lbs. (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0995/2330/files/XLR_Torque_Specs.pdf?4773220458823953227)

However, on CZ youtube video they said the torque is at 3.5Nm or 31in/lb:

What is the correct torque i should use? I am fairly new to firearms as a whole and i do not want to mess my gun up.

Thank you for your help.

If you are not too hasty, I suggest you try the best torque for the chassis and action combo by yourself.

Your action screws turn rate and lubrication effect this but what I have tested myself, torque does not matter at all when you go above slightly over 1Nm if you want them to stay in one piece and offer good accuracy. 1Nm means you have 22 lb weight putting these two parts together all the time.

So start at 2,5Nm (I have understood aluminum chassises like bigger torques) or where ever and start group testing every 1Nm to get some idea of good spot and then fine tune it.

Because your chassis is not bedded, any unleveled surface you have in the chassis and action will torque the action in not a good way, linearly to the torque force of the action screws. This will not become apparent with low torques but I expect even 2Nm will start to sligthly twist the action. It might not be bad for accuracy though. It is all about "internal vibrations". Unfortunately it does not make more sense than that.

More torque force does not mean better groups here necessarily, no need to max it out here.

This is all weird for a new shooter.
So here is my result, I have since pillar bedded the gun but this was my eye opener:
18 collated shots, 55yds, Lapua Biathlon.
I'd say the one on the right could be me but the results still speak for themselves.
Torqued with hand, maybe 2Nm:
Screenshot_20200104-140808_TargetScan.jpg

Loosened torque with hand to 1.2Nm (measured later)
Screenshot_20200104-140846_TargetScan.jpg

I have three 457s, and I'd be afraid to put anywhere near 65 in/lbs of torque on those little 5mm action screws, whether it's going into a chassis or pillar bedded wood or composite stock. Personally, I wouldn't go beyond 35, maybe 40 in/lbs. My 457 VPT has aluminum pillars in its Manners stock, and I get very good groups with the action screws torqued to 25 in/lbs. The screws on my Amercian & Varmint MTR are set at 18 in/lbs front, 20 in/lbs rear, and at least to this point in time, I've not found a better setting for either of them. This is with the OEM poly pillars; I've been threatening to drill out the poly pillars, replace them with aluminum ones, and then bed both these rifles, but it hasn't happened yet. If I ever do get it done, then I'll test with different action screw torque settings again.

Last edited:
Reactions: reichco457
I just got my xlr element 3.0 today. I was wondering the same thing 65in-lb ?? Seems damagingly high. Has anyone else followed the 65 recommendation and worked out fine? Thanks