• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dallas Area Long Distance Range?

I wasn’t sure where exactly to post this question, figured this was as good as any. Does anyone know any range in the Dallas/Fort Worth area with ranges 1000+ yards? I know of Fossil Pointe, which is outside of Decatur (about an hour and change away. I believe they have out to 1200, but that it’s also ridiculously expensive and a really strange qualifying system in order to shoot there.

Long story short, I built my 6.5CM to go the distance, and I eventually want to try Brandon’s challenge over at Texas Plinking. The issue I’m running into is I haven’t shot anything passed 300 yards since high school, and every place I’ve found near me is 100 yards max.

Picture for attention (apologies for that)

Attachments

• IMG_6377.jpeg
    IMG_6377.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 30
Fossil Pointe goes out to 900. NETT in Terrel goes out to a mile. Gravestone in Weatherford opens next month and will go out past 1000. ETTS is near May Pearl and has a long distance range too. For what you are looking to do, I'd recommend NETT. You will have to qualify first. It's a 66% IPSC troop line out to 700.

Reactions: Michael Trainowski
This is in Terrell in Kaufman County. A little south and east of Dallas and they go to a mile.

Fossil Pointe goes out to 900. NETT in Terrel goes out to a mile. Gravestone in Weatherford opens next month and will go out past 1000. ETTS is near May Pearl and has a long distance range too. For what you are looking to do, I'd recommend NETT. You will have to qualify first. It's a 66% IPSC troop line out to 700.
Ok thank you. I’ve heard there was one in Wearherford, but never knew the name. Terrel is a bit of a hike for me, but a mile is tempting. Granted I need at a .338 of some kind to do it, but still tempting.

Ok thank you. I’ve heard there was one in Wearherford, but never knew the name. Terrel is a bit of a hike for me, but a mile is tempting. Granted I need at a .338 of some kind to do it, but still tempting.
Check out their site and also call to see what guys are using to go a mile.

Before you stretch out 1k yards, let alone a mile, you need to hit 5 IPSC targets in order from 300 to 700 yards.

Also, nothing above 30 cal and also they specifically say you cannot use a .338.

Check out their site and also call to see what guys are using to go a mile.

Before you stretch out 1k yards, let alone a mile, you need to hit 5 IPSC targets in order from 300 to 700 yards.

Also, nothing above 30 cal and also they specifically say you cannot use a .338.

Oh yeah I know. I’m still trying to get my 6.5CM zeroed to 100 yards. I’ve got it sightened in for 50, but every time I’ve taken it on my range’s 100 yard (indoor range), either their system went down or one of our Texas storms rolled through and knocked the power out.

Because it’s an indoor 100 yard range, yes it has A/C, but it’s some weird system that uses their targets set down range (which you can’t change or keep), then you use an iPad they give you to track the shots. But being that it’s an indoor range, you’re essentially in a giant steel cage, which means no signal gets in or out.

As soon as I get set to 100 (which let’s be honest, shouldn’t be all that far off from 50), I plan on taking it to 200 and setting 200 yards as it’s zero.

Reactions: Ronws
Oh yeah I know. I’m still trying to get my 6.5CM zeroed to 100 yards. I’ve got it sightened in for 50, but every time I’ve taken it on my range’s 100 yard (indoor range), either their system went down or one of our Texas storms rolled through and knocked the power out.

Because it’s an indoor 100 yard range, yes it has A/C, but it’s some weird system that uses their targets set down range (which you can’t change or keep), then you use an iPad they give you to track the shots. But being that it’s an indoor range, you’re essentially in a giant steel cage, which means no signal gets in or out.

As soon as I get set to 100 (which let’s be honest, shouldn’t be all that far off from 50), I plan on taking it to 200 and setting 200 yards as it’s zero.
I have used the indoor range at Riflegear.

There is another indoor 100 range in Plano. Mission Ridge.

Then there is the Garland Public Shooting Range.

Also, I have been to Quail Creek near Northlake on 35. Bit of a drive to get there but the 100 yard range faces north, which helps since most times, the wind is out of the south.

Closer to my job is the Elm Fork range but I have not had time to go there. They had some kind of competition there. My brother-in-law once drove from near Baton Rouge, La to compete here.

Gravestone Precision located about an hour west of Fort Worth.

Membership only range with soft opening on 8/31 thru 9/2.

1000 yard range with berms and steel targets every 50 yds starting at 300 yds up to 1,000 yds (no berms at 850 or 950 yds)

PRS range - shooting distances up to 1,430 yds, steel targets starting at 250 yds, PRS style barricades and props to shoot from

1724867032094.png

1724867044433.png

I plan on taking it to 200 and setting 200 yards as it’s zero.
just use a 100yd zero, 200 yards is dumb for a range gun imo

can see holes more gooder
every range has 100yd paper up
trajectory is tangent to LOS somewhere right around 100yds

142 smk @ 2700fps
Comparison of 100yd zero (left) v. 200yd zero (right), what do you notice?
Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 2.23.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 2.23.41 PM.png

Reactions: W54/XM-388
just use a 100yd zero, 200 yards is dumb for a range gun imo

can see holes more gooder
every range has 100yd paper up
trajectory is tangent to LOS somewhere right around 100yds

142 smk @ 2700fps
Comparison of 100yd zero (left) v. 200yd zero (right), what do you notice?
View attachment 8500878............View attachment 8500879
Well it’s a range gun now, but I plan on taking it to 1000 yards, maybe further if possible. May also use it to help a buddy with a hog problem on his land too.

Well it’s a range gun now, but I plan on taking it to 1000 yards, maybe further if possible. May also use it to help a buddy with a hog problem on his land too.
Listen to the advice that is being given to you. Almost everyone I know that shoots to 1000 yards and beyond, zeros at 100 yards. It's just easier.

Get a good ballistics calculator on your phone, and learn how to use it. You put in your zero, bullet and velocity information, and it will tell you where you need to dial or hold to get out to 1K.

Download the Hornady 4DOF app, it’s definitely better than SBC. Never used Weta (first I’m hearing of it), but I’ll wager 4dof is better.

Plus, if you ever have any questions on how to use a ballistics app, you will get an the most responses & fastest answers on Hornady 4dof versus any other app

Caveat: 4dof does crash more than anything else, just kill it & relaunch & you should be good for the day

but it’s some weird system that uses their targets set down range then you use an iPad they give you to track the shots.
Either ShotMarker or Silver Mountain....Not weird, but actually quite beneficial. Has grid lines in MOA or Mils, to "help" you adjust your scope. Gives you downrange velocity and stats. And just use a 100yd zero. Keeps it simple.

500yd Fclass.jpeg

Last edited: