• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Daughters Christmas Present update 8-27-2012

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
So I bought my Daughter a 10-22 for Christmas but since she has been exposed to some 1000 dollar plus rigs I couldn't just hand it over to her in stock trim . Being unemployed I had to get creative so I went over to a buddies house and we did a few hours work on it today . Its not complete but you can see the direction we are heading with it .

10-22.jpg

10-22_1_.jpg

10-22_2_.jpg

Work done so far is as follows .

Reshape fore-end of stock and grip
Turn the front and rear sights down
Rechamber factory chamber to a match chamber

I am planning on refinishing the barrel in Black and camoflaging the stock using a light pink base coat and gray and white as the break up . She is also getting a Mueller APV 4.5-14 scope mounted on it as well as a Factory Ruger Red laminated stock that we can reshape together and some trigger parts to learn how to do her own trigger job .

This is how it started the day .
ruger_1022rb.jpg

Re: Daughters Christmas Present is coming along

Here is a quick update . The base coat is drying but I couldn't help but put it together to see the results so far . The Wrinkle paint also got hosed on the barrel so aw shucks I am gonna have to spend another day in the garage huffing fumes
wink.gif

Pinky.jpg

Pinky_1_.jpg

Pinky_3_.jpg

You can see on the right side that the wrinkle finish paint just never textured for some reason .

Pinky_2_.jpg

Thanks . I am thinking I am gonna throw a scope on it Monday and see how it shoots . Gotta make sure I am not giving her damaged goods right
wink.gif

She is 10 but has been shooting since she was about 7 .

She is gonna be so surprised as she knows that I have been out of work since May and doesn't really expect a lot for Christmas .

Mounted up a scope and did some more accuracy work today . I first shot about 100 rounds through it breaking it in a bit and getting the scope zeroed . We then hand lapped the barrel and treated the barrel with hexagonal boron nitride (I think thats what its called) . We then shot some groups using both Federal 550 Bulk pack ammo and Some SK Match Ammo at just over 30 yards . We had variable winds from 3-15 MPH and used a RCBS Varmint rest for all shots (I think a sold bench and my front rest and rear bag will produce a bit better groups).

The Fedral ammo is outlined in Pencil and the SK is outlined in Sharpie . The federal averaged .710 and the SK averaged .305 for all groups fired . Each group was 5 rounds except for one 6 round group .
10-22_Target.jpg

This is what can be accomplished with a relatively stock straight blowback action , a bunch of elbow grease and a little creativity . Total cash outlay at this point is 343 bucks .

here is a shot with the scope mounted .

10-22_with_scope.jpg

Got my first rifle and shotgun at 7 so I think this is great. My neighbour's daughter loves pink. It is nice to see a father be so thoughtful with his daughter. Can you spring for one of those V-blocks for the barrel clamp?

Way To GO!!!! Your Daughter will love it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

What V-Block is that ? I am just using the stock one at this point as I had not seen anything that I though would be better than the stocker at this point ?

I may have to check into that . My buddy who has been helping me on this project does consulting for Tac-Sol so maybe he has one laying around . It did take almost all of the elevation travel the scope had to get it on target .

not to hijack, just to share

i have 2 with the fajen/boyds stocks. i noticed the barrel wasnt floated. i started to sand the barrel channel to open it up. i noticed that the fact that the action was held in by one screw caused the whole barreled action to move side to side, pivoting at the screw that goes thru the stock. i just stopped sanding and laid some scotch tape in the barrel channel. i have heard of guys tapping the underside of the barrel thru the forend to secure the whole thing and i have seen aftermarket receivers with two threaded points to secure to the stock. that V block raising the barrel may not be ideal. this is just my observation. my receiver could be bedded better, but its not a tight fit in the boyds thumbhole sporter. i am thinking thats why stock applications have the barrel band.

great looking gun for your daughter and not much money in it. groups look good, she will have fun. what else are you doing to it??

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AVB001

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BWBB001

I have the V block but haven't tried it out yet. From what I've read it makes a huge difference.

That and the recoil buffer seem like "relatively" inexpensive add-ons.

I think you can get a hammer and sear tune kit for around $50 and that would, IMO, give you a real shooter without getting too crazy on add-on parts.

Edit: reading Axeman's post you may want to read more on this. It is my understanding that the V block is great and that the aluminum, light, stock receiver isn't really good for free floating your barrel. Folks that free float get a custom receiver and/or thread the barrel in.

I would bed the receiver AND barrel given the design of the 10/22. But do your own research and see what you find. Regardless, she's going to love it.

Next up I am gonna lay down some Camoflage using White and Gray as the break up colors . I am gonna include an aftermarket trigger and hammer in amongst her Christmas gifts and my buddy is gonna help her do the trigger job by herself . I also have a Factory Red Laminate stock that she can modify any way she wants if she doesn't like the color scheme .

I forgot to include in my original post that I had already replaced the buffer with an aftermarket one .

i was really happy with the Volquartsen (sp?) drop in hammer. it makes the pull feel great and is a cheaper way to get a better feel without having to do the whole thing. i have an extra recoil buffer, if you pm me, its yours for your daughters gun. i may have a few other things too. i have finished both of my 10/22s and these extra parts are just sitting in a tool box, never to be used

The Kid shot this group (and many more like it) today at 35 yards in a 20 mph crosswind . She was using a RCBS Varmint stand as a rest .

Kays_Group.JPG

Here she is dialing in the scope .

Kay_Shooting.JPG

She then got to help our buddy Jim do the trigger job on it . I can hardly wait to get this sucker out on the range on a calm day .

Very nice indeed! I see she's using the Federal #745. My son and I have found this to be very good ammo for the value. Nicely done all around!
smile.gif

Just a quick update but almost 2 years and thousand of rounds later her rifle continues to evolve . First thing we replaced was the scope base with a 25 MOA piece . It was a prototype base so its in the white but I got it for a good price and she can dial clear out to 200 with no problems . Then I had this Boyds stock that I really didn't like the fit and finish on so my Daughter scooped it up and said it was hers . She is gonna sand it down and paint in pink and purple when she has some time . She also spent some time helping a friend of mine do some research for Primary Weapons systems on their new carbon fiber wrapped barrel . For all her help she was given one of the pre-production prototypes she helped test . Now she thinks Dad needs to get a suppressor since she has a threaded barrel
wink.gif

KK_10-22_1_.JPG

KK_10-22_2_.JPG

Here is a 50 yard , 10 round group shot in a gusting crosswind of 3-10 MPH . It measured .370 center to center .
KK_10-22_3_.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that is what I call AWESOME!! Two very big thumbs up to ya Dad!! Very nice shooing too!!

DK</div></div>
Big +1, she shoots better than I do!

Thanks guys , I can only recommend that if you see her at the range that you don't bet her 20 bucks you can put 10 rounds into a smaller group than she can . I have found that if there is money on the line she will hustle your sorry ass .

That is some extremely impressive shooting! It always makes me smile to see pictures of younger generations shooting (especially when they shoot like that).
Very cool to see the evolution of that gun too.